Acetone update

Status
Not open for further replies.
1990 Toyota Cressida:
"Here's the last 10 fill ups right BEFORE Acetone:
avg: 24.81
The last 6 tanks with Acetone... really weird #'s since i've tried to put in close to the 3oz per 10 gallons. But I guess sometime I put in just the right amount to get good gas mileage and other times I don't put enough or put too much and got worst.
avg: 25.50"

I tried this for myself too. I got ahold of some labratory grade Acetone by Fisher.

I used it in two vehicles that I've owned for years. I track my milage per tank at every fill up. My mpt is very consistant. After using about 3oz. per gallon in both vehicles. MPT did not change at all. So IMO, this is a myth, and it's busted.

I've only done it for a few tank fulls now, so I'll keep doing it until I'm out of this batch of Acetone. If something changes, I'll post it.

has anybody tried laquer thinner? as far as cleaning crap off of anything goes, its the best i have ever tried. i ebay used car parts all of the time and things come out cleaner using laquer thinner than anything else. i was given the idea to use it from a friend who has a fuel injector cleaning/testing rig. he uses laquer thinner at about 25% in regular gas to clean injectors out in about 6 hours of run time.

I tried acetone at 3 oz and 4 oz per 10 gal in my 2000 4Runner. No difference noted in fuel economy. Might have cleaned something out though. Engine ran really smooth. I used the acetone from Home Depot.

For what it's worth, since I worship chemtool, it's 60-70% toluene, 20-30% acetone, 5-10% n-Hexane, and <5% methanol by weight. Toluene, most will recall, is an aromatic hydrocarbon and excellent octane booster. We all seem to understand the benefit of acetone, and methanol, well...you get it.

"If increases were due to reduced surface tension, you would see an immediate benefit."

Actually I noticed a difference in the way the engine responded to acceleration within the first few miles.

bkrell...

Jeebers, I hope you were joking about using Chemtool!
Adding these tiny amounts of acetone is, at best, just a waste of time or a great test of peoples "placebo" effect, but putting THAT c-rap in your tank is asking for trouble.

I make toluene and n-hexane for a living, and also used methanol as an auto fuel.

The toluene is, as you stated, about 115 octane, but the rest of the junk in there is dangerous - the hexane has a very low octane, in the 50 range, the methanol will destroy most rubber (it LOVES V8 mechanical fuel pump diaphragms!) and the surfactants and emulsifiers don't help a bit!

Please just stick to the (mostly harmless) acetone!
doc

I was flipping through the MSDS section on one oil manufacturer website (Pitt Penn I think) and I saw their octane booster is basically pure (97%+) methanol. I'm sure some other companies do the same. Can it be that bad?
dunno.gif

Just throwing some flammable chemicals on the fire.
grin.gif

My friend from about 25 years ago (ugh) put in 1 Moth Ball per gallon of gas in his 68 GTO and swore by it for increased power !
shocked.gif

Moth balls are made from naphthalene, a hydrocarbon derived from coal tar.
shocked.gif

"Never try this at home or elsewhere" - JUST letting you know what he did...
nono.gif

Nothing wrong with moth balls in the gas tank, as long as it is the good old
naphthalene. It is just a big cousin to toluene. I wouldn't want the newer chlorowhatever in my gas.

doctorr, I never said that I personally got a great octane boosting benefit from chemtool. I only use it to keep things in the fuel department clean. It has a very small amount of methanol and if you make toluene and n-hexane for a living, you will know they are already IN gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back