Auto Zone Duralast tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPP

So.... are these okay quality or junk.
Say I need a 3/8" breaker bar, or a 21mm socket or something like that.
It would not be used very many times. Should I just pay
a little more and get Craftsman or is Duralast okay for the $$$ for a
tool that would not see lots of use.
I have over $100 in credit at AZ BTW!

Thanks for your help,

JP

I would take Craftsman over them any day. But if its just for a one time job or the occasional use...they'll get the job done.

I think you'll be fine. I've bought alot of AAP Autocraft tools and they have been fine. I did break a 1/4" u-joint and they gave me a new complete set in exchange.

They really don't look that different than the Taiwanese Kobalt tools at Lowes.

The colors of the SAE/Metric paint stripe are reversed but otherwise they look the same to me.

That being said, neither are significantly better than the Taiwanese Pittsburg tools at Harbor Freight. Not good, but for the price not terrible.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Most of them are pretty good. The 3/8's flex ratchet that's a copy of a Snap-on ratchet is a great buy. Much better ratchet than the standard Craftsman ones.

True. There was even a guy who tested just about every 3/8 rachet and mentioned how good the Duralast was.

I have bought a few sockets and also a rachet. I get a feeling that AutoZone tools are good, but somewhat expensive. I'd recommend to take a look at Harbor Freight. I have had good experience with them too. The AZ may be more solid, but at a serious price premium.

If you have the credit and need the tools, go for it. Most of the credible, unbiased reviews that I have read indicate that they are pretty good. The tools are probably one of the few things that I would go into an AZ for.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Most of them are pretty good. The 3/8's flex ratchet that's a copy of a Snap-on ratchet is a great buy. Much better ratchet than the standard Craftsman ones.

True. There was even a guy who tested just about every 3/8 rachet and mentioned how good the Duralast was.

I have one of the Duralast 3/8 regular fixed head ratchets, it works great, was made in Taiwan, not China and has been doing a fine job since I bought it last summer. I retired my old US-made Mac Tools 3/8 ratchet. It is still in my tool box but I don't use it very much anymore. The screws keep coming loose from the mechanism/pawl plate and it is not as fine-toothed as the Duralast. I have a few other Duralast tools to, I bought a Duralast 3/8 torque wrench, it was nearly free because I used my $20.00 rewards card credit. It is also doing fine. I have a few odd Duralast sockets and a Duralast 18mm wrench that all are very good quality too. The wrench is fully polished, it looks and feels like a very good quality tool and it is just as heavy as any of my old US-made Snap-On wrenches. I don't know how well the Duralast tools would hold up in a professional use-it-every-day environment, but for what I use them for they do a fine job. For me it is the same with most HF hand tools. The HF hand tools are OK and seem to have gotten a lot better in quality over the last couple of years.

I purchased a 1/4" drive kit with a gift card. I threw it in my service call box for work. The first time I used the ratchet it was junk out of the box. I'm glad I had a spare with me. The sockets seem decent and do the job. Other than the ratchet I can't complain for a set under $25.

I have a set of the Duralast double box offset wrenches. I use them all the time and they seem to be holding up well.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
That being said, neither are significantly better than the Taiwanese Pittsburg tools at Harbor Freight. Not good, but for the price not terrible.

I have the shorter 1/2" breaker bar from HFT and I managed to break the bolt in the swivel head.. but I had a VERY LONG cheater bar on it to break free an axle nut on a small car. I put in a matching thread hex cap bolt and have still been using that way ever since. The bar itself and the head has been tough has nails. After I replaced the bolt, I was able to free the nut with the breaker bar with the cheater bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back