Mustang GT transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did this happen? When did Mustang GT`s quit using Tremecs and begin using Chinese manual trannies? I`ve driven a few of these and they all would crunch/grind 1st to 2nd gear shifts. I`d been considering buying one of these (Gotta Have It Green or Grabber Blue) and an automatic imo is unacceptable in a sports car.

34ipczn.jpg

10xg5cl.jpg

Last edited:
Been that way for a few years and they have had a bunch of trouble with them if the owner drives it hard. I dont know why they dont use the Tremec like the Camaro does. Sad.

i would assume an affordable option compared to a tremec, which would cost more. the cost would then be passed on to the consumer. my guess is that ford made a decision to use a Chinese made unit that meets there demands because it was the most cost effective.

the T5 and the TR3650 weren't great trannys for shift feel before, so im betting the Chinese made 6 speed isnt any worse.

it is sad that an American Icon is using Chinese parts, however without seeing future reliability i dont think its fair to condemn it just yet. it may turn out to be a well built and reliable transmission.

often the Chinese work cheap, but their Quality control is generally pretty tight and their products are decent.

10 years ago everyone thought kia/hyundai were cheap built Korean cars, however today they are just as well built and reliable as anything else that is similarly priced.

Everyone I know that bought a Kia or Hyundai wishes they did not. Usually have multiple major problems right outside the warranty including most of the transmissions going out. Alot of plastic inside places that should really be metal and they just replace the whole thing instead of repairing it. In the end it is a higher costing vehicle. I would say the chinese transmissions may cost Ford more than they know when some potential buyers refuse due to this cost savings. I have worked with Ford engineers and many of them are on green card out of china and have plans to outsource anything they can to china. Pretty sad but it is like being in another country when working with them with very few american citizens working in the development stages of cars.

Question:

Outside of BITOG-types, who cares where the parts come from or notices what it says on the sticker?

Answer:

Not many. Hence assembling things in China. Why does (manufacturers) anyone do anything? Because they can.

Last edited:
I would not touch a Korean made Hyundai or Kia vehicle. They are a bunch of metal junk in my opinion.

I am so sad that the Mustang GT transmission is made in China because I have been saving my pennies and nickles to buy a Mustang GT with as a big a V-8 as I can get, and I do not want a Chinese made transmission in a Mustang.

I guess I had better look for a different car other than a Mustang GT.

I know the corvette and camaro transmissions are made in toledo, oh and have seen their top notch manufacturing facility. it rivals any of the newer more modern toyota or vw facilities. Most of the components are of us origin with a few made in canada.

I`ve been wanting to buy one for my gf (I want her to have the newest car between us,because I don`t ever want to worry about her ever being stranded someplace) and I want her to learn how to own and drive a manual. BUT,all the ones I`ve driven grind/crunch the 1st to 2nd gear shift. The rest of the car is amazing,but the tranny issue is unacceptable,and an automatic is out of the question. The ergonomics and comfort of these cars are top notch!

I`ve also read a ton of complaints on the Mustang forums about the gear crunch issues. Maybe Ford will swap out the trannies eventually to an American made one?

Last edited:
The Getrag went in with the new motors in 2011. Most of the issues may have been worked out. It has a nice feel compared to some of the old Tremecs. I would not let it keep me from buying the car.

Originally Posted By: Mustang2008Z

I guess I had better look for a different car other than a Mustang GT.

Get a Hyundai or Kia. Much better built cars anyway.
grin.gif

The GT500 has a different transmission. Not sure about the BOSS 302. If the BOSS 302 had an American tranny, that would make the choice for me over a GT. I think this is tragic that Ford did this.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Everyone I know that bought a Kia or Hyundai wishes they did not.

i'm sure your biased preposition has just as much to do with your impression of other peoples opinion. fortunately, hundreds of thousands completely disagree with your ideals.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Does Hyundai make an RWD manual car? Genesis coupe maybe?

Yeah, the Genesis coupe comes is RWD and comes in manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back