Acetone update

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I guess the old thread on this is closed. I was very dubious about using acetone to increase my mpg but my initial results were positive. 2000 Dakota 3.9L with a 22gal tank. I added a little over 2oz. per 10 gallons and my mpg went up 7.5% this first run, and that is basing my calculations on my highest avgerage mpg. I generally average 19mpg but sometimes I may see 20mpg so I went with the higher. Same trip, same ballpark mph with cruise set as much as possible. The acetone addition gave me 21.5mpg. I plan on treating another tank at the same level and seeing what happens. If it improves again or stays at 21.5 I plan on not treating the next tank to see what happens.

I am using HPLC grade acetone from J.T. Baker, assayed by GC at 99.7% purity. Usually the nail polish remover you find is not 100% acetone, I think I would try a hardware or paint supply stores first. I started to notice a difference in smoothness and acceleration within my first commute, I tried to deny it and figured I was fooling myself and this would show when I calculated my mpg, but I really was not that surprised when I saw otherwise. I keep my fuel system pretty clean I think with either Techron or Regane generally every 4-5K miles.

i think i may give it a try as well, with these reports coming in, especially from someone who uses techron periodically. i'm waiting to finish this tank as i just changed the plugs and want to see if there is any difference from that before i start. i have gas data from 2001 to present so it will hopefully be easy to see any increase/difference.

Tried it two tanks.

One at the recommended diesel doseage...no difference.
One at half recommended (ran first tank down to half , then filled up...the way I normally do)...no difference.

This third tank (about 1/5 of the recommended diesel doseage) has taken another 5km for the needle to hit the full mark (normally 100km to hit full)...I'll post what it's gotten next week (thinking no change)

I tried acetone in a lawnmower, and it made no difference in the run time, on 100mL of gas. After a few tanks, though, the motor kept stalling, and I had to quit the exp't. It ran smoothly again once I returned to pure gasoline.

I've imporoved my fuel economy by adding polyethylene to my car (aerodynamics).

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
Do I dare question if there is a little acetone in Fuel Power?

Don't know but I think there is some acetone in B-12 Chemtool.

I am on tank 5 with acetone treatment. Have to say, this is working ! The first tank I immediately noticed the idle was smoother ,but no mpg increase . I continued with a 2 mpg increase for the next 3 tanks . Now on the 5th - a average total of 4 mpg above my "normal" mileage . Highway mileage (1 tank of 5) skyrocketed from 30.1 to 38.3 !! Could be a fluke , most of my driving in city so it will be a while before I back that up .
B-12 Chemtool does contain acetone , many fuel treatments do . So does pump gas(methylene ketone) - you are just increasing the content of it .

quote:

Originally posted by oilyriser:

Don't just sit there teasing us; start another thread and spell out the details!
grin.gif

quote:

I tried acetone in a lawnmower, and it made no difference in the run time, on 100mL of gas. After a few tanks, though, the motor kept stalling, and I had to quit the exp't. It ran smoothly again once I returned to pure gasoline.

I tried it in the lawnmower to and I couldn't believe it started on the first pull with no priming. Usually takes at least five pulls. Plus it was about 50 degrees here today.

We need to sneak acetone in people's tanks - so without them knowing.......

OK OK - I am starting to believe. I just keep forgeting to buy some....how much for a qt? To the numbers work out??

At somewhere near $3/gallon for gasoline, lots of numbers work out that previously didn't. Acetone nail polish remover is as little as $3/qt, IIRC. For some reason, a couple of people whose experiences I've read elsewhere (including mine) that are using laboratory-grade acetone rather than cheap nail polish or paint remover are not seeing the positive results. It probably has to do with the individual vehicles involved, but it sure is interesting.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
We need to sneak acetone in people's tanks - so without them knowing.......

OK OK - I am starting to believe. I just keep forgeting to buy some....how much for a qt? To the numbers work out??

I've only seen what WalMart and Lowes sell Acetone for. A gallon container was around $11 at WalMart and $12 at Lowes. A quart conatiner was abour $5 at each. I have used it to great effect in my Cummins N14. I find that 1.5-2 ounces of Acetone per 10 gallons and using around a 5% blend of biodiesel creates one very well running and efficient engine.

Hammer

quote:

Originally posted by Warstud:

quote:

I tried it in the lawnmower to and I couldn't believe it started on the first pull with no priming. Usually takes at least five pulls. Plus it was about 50 degrees here today.

Without priming you were starting it off the OLD FUEL in the float bowl of the carb not what you just poured into the tank.
Thing is when people test something for fuel economy gains it is real easy to subconciously drive a little easier. Also I heard a while back that the local requirments on fuels were suspended accross the country to help gas supply problems created by the huricanes, so a lot of people could be getting a slightly different blend of fuel than they normally get in their area.
As far as Berryman's I have not looked at the MSDS but from memory and small I would say it is little more than laquer thinner, not that that is bad, just commenting on the makup not the effectivness. Acetone is one of the solvents in laquer thinner.

quote:

Originally posted by DJ:
As far as Berryman's I have not looked at the MSDS but from memory and small I would say it is little more than laquer thinner, not that that is bad, just commenting on the makup not the effectivness. Acetone is one of the solvents in laquer thinner.

As I stated in the locked Acetone topic...I read the label on a bottle of B12 Chemtool and one of the first ingredients was acetone,...along with toluene and Methyl Ethyl Ketone.

So it certainly could be used for paint and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back