fram PH 6607 cut open. 4k on s2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
here is a fram i took of my s2000. it was on it when i bought it. i replaced it with a honda unit. the fram actually wasn't as junk feeling inside as i expected. the media looked good and the cardboard end caps are surprisingly strong.

my complaints are the flimsy bypass valve and the ADBV is really terrible.

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/donnyj08/library/fram ph6607?page=1

Last edited:
i actually was impressed by how sturdy it was inside after i cut it open. the cardboard end caps are super sturdy, i honestly don't think the endcaps are and issue on theses filters. the flimsy ADBV and the plastic bypass are the weak points.

Media wise and structure wise it seems like a fairly solid filter.

Fram on an S2000?
33.gif
That engine deserves nothing but the BEST!

Originally Posted By: Artem
Fram on an S2000?
33.gif
That engine deserves nothing but the BEST!

i agree! thats why i yanked it off there and installed the new 6 hole filtec filter from honda
thumbsup2.gif

the previous owner ran M1 10w30 EP and these fram filters on it since 13k miles. i just wanted to see how bad they were. i hated to dump less than 4k mile M1 but i was unsure of how long it had been in the sump time wise and i didn't feel comfortable running the car up the RPM band with the fram on it.

taking a look puts my mind to rest as the build quality isnt as poor as some seem to think. i however will be sticking with the Honda PCX i believe.

The bypass valve may look flimsy but it works at prescribed pressure, the ADBV is a weak point. The main weakness/cheap is the filter media, it is much less than the lower cost Purolator Classic.

If you can measure the media of this Gram filter, compare with the PCX filter when you do next oil change you will see that Fram has much less media.

FYI - Fram makes a TG6607; it's their upgraded media with a silicone ADBV, but still the fiber end caps. It is not an Ultra filter, however. In a way, the TG is a good mid-level offering for those who want more efficiency, but don't intend to run really long OCIs.

I am becomming fond of the TG; good prices at WM.

Last edited:
Though I wouldn't say 4k is exactly a torture test for any filter, the PH6607 here looks like it did well. Bypass valve looks fine to me, typical Fram bypass construction.

Just curious, the 6607 is the smaller/shorter version of the 7317/14610 now used on most Hondas, can the S2000 not fit the longer filter?

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
i agree! thats why i yanked it off there and installed the new 6 hole filtec filter from honda
thumbsup2.gif

Now you can save money! From what I hear Honda recommends using an oil filter twice.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
taking a look puts my mind to rest as the build quality isnt as poor as some seem to think.
I believe the general consensus here has evolved from being "The OCOD is a bad filter" to "The OCOD is a mediocre filter being sold for a premium price". The construction has never been bad, it's just that you can get better filters for the same or less money.

The filter in your pic has a pretty low pleat count compared to other filters in its class, although it does appear to have held up well.

Even if your engine might not have known the difference, you'll feel better using the Honda OEM and that's important, too.

FRAM must be doing something right, they seem to sell an awful lot of the OCOD.
Even if I had an old beater I would still use a P Classic over the OCOD.
But I am definately going to use the FU at my next OCI, only for (1) OCI, though.
grin.gif

I've spent enough time looking at and cutting orange cans to decide they are not all created equal. This one looks very good, a Tough Guard version would likely be even better. The smaller orange cans as well as the 3980's and 3600's seem to have noticeably more pleats and tend to look good when cut after an OCI. PH8A's on the other hand look like something a kindergartner built.

I am liking the Tough Guard a lot right now as well. First filter I've found that will give the Motorcraft a run for it's money on my Jeep regarding start up noise, but the 99% efficiency over the 94% for the Motorcraft is very appealing for $2 more.

As always, thanks for taking the time and effort to cut and post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back