Best construction adhesive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In your opinions, what is the best construction adhesive for Plywood?
I am going to be doing a home project that will be using the plywood on the ceiling. Plywood is going to be around 1/4 inch or less in thickness.
It will be attached to furring strips with finish nails, but I want the adhesive there for extra grip and holding strength.
Liquid nails maybe? Another brand perhaps?

I wouldn't worry about the brand as much as what it is rated for, e.g. wood to wood bonding, et cetera. The construction adhesive will be forming the long term grip, so you will be able to use much less nails for a more pleasing aesthetic.

Why have you chosen plywood over other options? What kind of environment is this in(which room)?

Its going up over my 30 year old popcorn finished vaulted ceiling.
I've scraped off ALL the popcorn in every room and hallways, now I want to add an ambience to the main room with the 35ft vaulted ceiling. I was going to use laminate flooring, but its just too expensive. Ceiling is far too big to spend that kind of money on. After several weeks of investigating ideas on the web, I noticed that clean, sanded, plywood with no knots is a very popular choice. Going to cut it down to 4ft x 5inch strips and put it up. Google plywood ceilings. Surprisingly its a very nice look. In a natural or light stain it should come out good.

Last edited:
Good luck with the project. I'd love to see pictures.

I updated my house from early early nineties with help from the family. I am now saving for building a home sometime down the road.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
Its going up over my 30 year old popcorn finished vaulted ceiling. I've scraped off ALL the popcorn in every room and hallways, now I want to add an ambience to the main room with the 35ft vaulted ceiling.

That sounds gorgeous, pics PLEASE!!
thumbsup2.gif

I'll gladly post pics when its all done. I plan on using my pneumatic brad nailer as well.

My house is 30 years old and has never had an upgrade. Last summer I did the kitchen. Here are pics of that. Did all this over the course of a month during my nights and weekends off.

Before:

005-2.jpg

After:

010.jpg

Before:

003-3.jpg

After:

011.jpg

Have had mixed reactions from some about the black cabinets. I like em.
Took the wife awhile to get used to them.

Last edited:
So are you just going over top of the drywall? If so then I suggest buying the stuff made for drywall since its meant to bond wood to the paper.
If your going to be removing the drywall then pl premium is likely the best stuff out there however it would be overkill. Any construction adhesive would work fine since its not structural.
Be sure to nail to the ceiling joists and not just into the drywall.

Every construction adhesive I have used has set-up to be stronger than the wood I'm joining.
Some just set- up quicker than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back