ROYAL PURPLE 10-2876 CUT OPEN -- PICTURES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are pictures of a Royal Purple 10-2876. It cross-refs to Mobil 1 M1-108, K&N HP-1008, PureONE PL14612, etc.

I took a hacksaw to it when it came off my Nissan last weekend when I changed its oil. It was the end of a 7,500 mile OCI with Royal Purple 5W-30 SN.

DSCF2656_zps056e8fb2.jpg

DSCF2657_zps4778c2bc.jpg

DSCF2658_zps96be9c2b.jpg

DSCF2659_zps73732b0e.jpg

DSCF2660_zpsd3e4fcda.jpg

DSCF2661_zps19deb50a.jpg

DSCF2662_zpsdd0f3ad4.jpg

DSCF2663_zps1bb928d2.jpg

That might be the smallest oil filter I have seen used on a car...

Regardless it still looks good after 7.5k miles.

Looks like a well made filter, Champ made construction for sure. But my goodness that's a small media core. Curious, what the approximate media measure is from endcap to endcap?

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
That might be the smallest oil filter I have seen used on a car

Yeah, I usually use its longer cousin, the one that cross-refs to Mobil 1 M1-110, K&N HP-1010, PureONE PL14610, DNESO 150-1010, etc.

Originally Posted By: Umibozu
Good looking filter, how much are you paying for the RP filters?

I believe they typically run about $15 at Pep Boys. I got this one as part of an oil-change special deal where for $30 I got 5 quarts of Royal Purple and the filter.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Curious, what the approximate media measure is from endcap to endcap?

Outer-edge to to outer-edge, it's 1 7/16". The distance inside the lips is 29/32". The overall length was about 29 1/2". So that yields just shy of only 27 square inches.

Originally Posted By: david_ES2
Even the wire mesh is purple, looks good

I think that's just the lighting. The mesh is actually black.

Originally Posted By: barlowc

Wait just a second here.... do you mean to say you have a Royal Purple work light?

His camera is just causing some fringing. Common on consumer-level digicams, especially in very bright areas. :)

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Curious, what the approximate media measure is from endcap to endcap?

Outer-edge to to outer-edge, it's 1 7/16". The distance inside the lips is 29/32". The overall length was about 29 1/2". So that yields just shy of only 27 square inches.

Dang ... that's not much area. Good thing full synthetic media flows good.

If you want full synthetic media, why not go with the Ultra XG7317 (~$9 at Walmart). It's the same size as the PL14610 ... the largest you can get for the Altima. I've got a XG7317 on deck for my next oil change on my Altima with the 3.5L V6.

Was about to say, Id never run that small of a filter on anything.

The WIX 57356 will do fine too, or ACDelco PF2057. Most Nissan, Honda, Subaru, etc use THIS same filter. The newer Subaru OEM srvice part -160 Tokyo-roki for the subaru FB motor may work too - lemme go look at the gasket ID ... ... ... it a schweety.
-
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=57356

-
10112_1.gif

the subaru tokyo-Roki 160:
fb25tokyoroki15208aa160.jpg

Last edited:
I don't like Royal Purple anything. Having admitted this, I will say the filter looks to be of quality. However, you can get the same for less in other brands of filters.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
If you want full synthetic media, why not go with the Ultra XG7317 (~$9 at Walmart). It's the same size as the PL14610 ... the largest you can get for the Altima.

Yes, I am familiar with the XG7317. I picked up 4 of them last fall when PB had them BOGO. I just put one on our Saturn today and have the other three in the cabinet in the garage.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The WIX 57356 will do fine too, or ACDelco PF2057. Most Nissan, Honda, Subaru, etc use THIS same filter.

Yes, I am familar with the longer equivalents and generally use one. Notice my signature and what I'm running right now... a DENSO 150-1010. I used the spec size last OCI because I was anticipating having the vehicle in to the dealer for a warranty-check of an engine/transmission-related concern and didn't want to catch any flack for having a larger filter on there.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I don't like Royal Purple anything. Having admitted this, I will say the filter looks to be of quality. However, you can get the same for less in other brands of filters.

Why not? They make some good stuff. Pricey... yes, generally. But I got 5 quarts and a filter for $30 at PB.

Hey? Guy`s the way change oil on car today, You might not need that big of filter!!
confused2.gif
That why some Car Manufacturer said Every Other FILTER doing oil Change!! Oil is good these day! This is Not the 70s or 80s this 2013.And if your car call for that small wix, that what you put on it! We are`nt ENGINEER.

Last edited:
Nice, thanks for the pics! I just bought a few of these off ebay for my 4 wheeler for 8 bucks a piece. Glad to see it appears to be a very well built filter. I'd love to use the longer 14610/7317 equivalent, but there's not room for it.

Interesting that they applied good large filter design to a small filter. This sacrifices too much media IMO.

I see a Fram influence in that filter. Look at the bypass valve. 'Course Fram and Champ are consolidating, so it was bound to happen.

As to "small" media, don't forget the blown synthetic media flows better per inch of media than cellulose of blended, so I think you can rest assured there is more than enough there. It would be interesting to compare the construction of some RPs of just a few years back (pre merger) to what is coming now... same part numbers.

PS- Oh, and nice pics.. thanks!

Last edited:
To me the bypass/relief valve looks like standard Champ classic (non ecore) design. In fact it looks very/most similar to the blue button bypass used on SuperTech/STP for years and now MicroGard filters.

Some good pics of the Champ made Super Tech/STP bypass and now MicroGard can be seen in the links below.

New Supertech 7317 with blue button bypass.

New MicroGard and STP filters with blue button bypass.

As for the filter element, even though this is the shorty version of the 7317/14610 I was just surprised at the size of the filter element on a filter with a dome bypass. As said though, no doubt a well made filter.

Originally Posted By: yonyon

Wait just a second here.... do you mean to say you have a Royal Purple work light?

I lol'd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back