ATF recomendations for my 2000 F-250 truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems it's hard to find a straight Dex III fluid anymore, except for those high mileage/max life ones. I figure I should prolly get to changing it before 50k miles on it lest I be rebuilding the tranny again. So what fluids out there are safe to use in a the 4R100 trans, without breaking the bank. I'd love to go Amsoil synthetic, or even Mobil 1 Synthetic, but right now the funds for that aren't there. I'm not really up on the various Dex V, Dex VI fluids, but from what I remember the Dex V was specifically recommended against being used in the 4R100 in my truck. Problem is now everything seems to be multi vehicle formula stuff, kinda like the [censored] that goes on with coolant. So whats out there and safe that isn't gonna kill my transmission?

I rebuilt the tranny back around 175k and I just rolled 213k the other night. Still has the fill of Dex 3/Mercon in there and honestly the fluid looks and smells like new. When I did the rebuild I also did a Transgo Tugger 2 kit, pump upgrade kit, and some other misc stuff inside. Also added a 10micron donaldson hydraulic filter with 25psi bypass to my cooler line. Also I have real problems with my tranny every getting up to temp, maybe I am that good at rebuilding them or its a combination of the stuff I did to it that keeps it running cool. In the winter I block off my additional cooler, and use a winter front on my truck and I still barely crack 140-150F average running temps. In stop and go I will see around 170 max, but it's a far cry from the 200-220F I used to see before the rebuild.

With the temps being kept super low I even question if I need to change the fluid, yet.

Mercon will be just fine. Typically I buy the SuperTech Dexron/Mercon in 20L pails. Not sure if your WM stocks the pails though.

i believe the ford stuff has all been back spec'd for mercon V. in the ford trannys we have as company truck we run valvoline mercon V and motorcraft trans filters. never had a tranny issue yet. The Valvoline Mercon V can be bought at any auto parts stores. at times i buy it at the ford dealer though because they have gallon jugs. i think its $5 a qt at the dealer and $20 a gallon. the valvoline stuff is about the same price at any autoparts stores. if you can catch one of the chains having a sale you may be able to pick the valvoline stuff up for under $5 a qt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BruceM
It seems it's hard to find a straight Dex III fluid anymore, except for those high mileage/max life ones. I figure I should prolly get to changing it before 50k miles on it lest I be rebuilding the tranny again. So what fluids out there are safe to use in a the 4R100 trans, without breaking the bank. I'd love to go Amsoil synthetic, or even Mobil 1 Synthetic, but right now the funds for that aren't there. I'm not really up on the various Dex V, Dex VI fluids, but from what I remember the Dex V was specifically recommended against being used in the 4R100 in my truck. Problem is now everything seems to be multi vehicle formula stuff, kinda like the [censored] that goes on with coolant. So whats out there and safe that isn't gonna kill my transmission?

I rebuilt the tranny back around 175k and I just rolled 213k the other night. Still has the fill of Dex 3/Mercon in there and honestly the fluid looks and smells like new. When I did the rebuild I also did a Transgo Tugger 2 kit, pump upgrade kit, and some other misc stuff inside. Also added a 10micron donaldson hydraulic filter with 25psi bypass to my cooler line. Also I have real problems with my tranny every getting up to temp, maybe I am that good at rebuilding them or its a combination of the stuff I did to it that keeps it running cool. In the winter I block off my additional cooler, and use a winter front on my truck and I still barely crack 140-150F average running temps. In stop and go I will see around 170 max, but it's a far cry from the 200-220F I used to see before the rebuild.

With the temps being kept super low I even question if I need to change the fluid, yet.

How about some ST synthetic ATF. Should not break the bank. You may have too much cooling. How about a thermostat in the cooling line. That is what most external coolers have.

I am over in Guilderland at least once a week and work in Troy outskirts. So close by.

M1 Is good for the 4R100. it is cheap and does work good in them. Just get a BIG..errr I mean MASSIVE trans cooler on it. The stock cooling of the SD with the 4r100 is a weak point. oh and if you pull heavy, change the fluid via pan drops every 25k..
Edit I see you have temps under control.. I'd still pick M1 ATF with Mercon spec and call it a day.

Last edited:
My Cherokee calls for Dex III, and I've had good luck with Coastal Dex/Merc from Autozone. It meets the requirements for Dex II and III. I believe it is now branded as Autozone Dex/Merc even though it is the same exact bottle. Its cheap and seems to work well.
thumbsup2.gif

Hey BruceM ...

There are PLENTY of DexronIII/Mercon products out there from reputable sources. Most any of the house brands (Walmart ST, AAP, AZ, OR, Napa, etc) have good quality Dex/Merc options. There are also some good fluids from the brand names like Mobil, Pennzoil, Castrol, etc, but they cost a bit more.

Given that you're out of warranty, and price is an issue, I'd stick to the house brands. They work just fine, and have shown themselves to be fine for normal and heavy service. The VOAs of the house brands stack up as well to the brand name VOAs, and (more importantly) I've run a few UOAs on my AAP and ST D/M fluids, and they come back just fine.

Of note, you mentioned it's "hard to find a straight Dex III fluid anymore". You are not likely to find a fluid that is ONLY DexIII rated; they will also be Mercon rated. It is important to understand that the former "DEXRON III" and "Mercon" names are proprietary to GM and Ford, and they do not license products to those standards any longer. So what you will see in the market place is names like "D3/M" or "Dex/Merc" or some other similar nomenclature.

As long as you select from a decent quality source (including house brands you well recognize) you'll be just fine.

Local auto parts warehouse/retail store nearby sells Coastal synthetic blend Dex/MerconV/Universal fluid for $3.65/qt. Hard to beat that deal. Regular DexIII/Merc fluids usually cost that much at places like WM. I have used it with success for the last couple of years alongside Maxlife ATF. I think the Maxlife may be a bit higher quality fluid and is a full "syn", but generally costs more as well these days and harder to find a deal on it like I used to at AA with the coupon codes. Generally $4-5/qt now is the best I can find.

Sounds like you have significantly upgraded the filtration and possibly the cooling of your transmission, along with some internal upgrades and updates. Should last a long while now.

Thanks all for the info. I haven't given much thought to most of the fluids on my truck other than oil and coolant (testing SCA's ect) for the last 40k miles or so. Did both differentials cause it's been 50k, and I had some water in both, and that got me thinking about the ATF.

I'm doing a DIY hydraulic ram steering upgrade in a few weeks and that will give me a flush of my PS, even though it looks great 50-55k thanks to the M1 synthetic ATF in there and the Magenfine filter I added. Just flushed brakes with a friends Motive pressure bleeder, but I do that every 2 years anyway, cause a quart of brake fluid is a small price to pay for keeping the system dry and clean. So that really leaves me only with coolant and ATF to be looked at. I know I can go a good while longer on my coolant, ph is good, SCA levels are where they should be, and one of these days I'll put my coolant filter back on the truck.

So on to the ATF, it seems that if I am understanding this right, the Dex3/Mercon specs are met by most of the house brand ATF's and should be ok even if they meet multiple specs like the Dex3/Mercon, and then say Dex 5 ect? Like I said earlier I knew for a while there Ford was very specific about not using Dex 5 in transmissions originally spec'd for Dex 3, but apparently that has changed, and now Dex 5 is OK? I'm guessing if a Dex 5 meets the Dex 3/mercon specs than it shouldn't cause a problem in the transmission. When I did the rebuild, I added the stuff mentioned, and used OE grade raybestos frictions, steels, ect for the ones that needed replacing, and went to the tight side of the specs. As such I think that's why I have such a cool running transmission. I mean even with my 37in mud tires and the "highest" tune my [censored] bully dog tuner has, I still run really cool. Triple disc billet converter prolly helps too, and then the added 10mic filter I make for a clean quick shifting 4r100 tranny.

I do tow off and on, sometimes heavy (up to about 10k), but its not like my truck is a work truck every day, I'd say on average I tow ~5-6k less than 10 times a year. Thought that might change if I decide to head to ND to look for work in the oil boom. I'd be picking up a 30foot trailer to live in before heading out that way. Generally right now most of the miles are highway, and given my almost excessive cooling, I don't know that I need to bother with synthetic, unless I can get a synthetic for around the costs of regular stuff. I'd need ~5 gallons, and I'd classify myself as unemployed (with no UE "benefits") and although I've been doing a good bit of mechanic work for people, but money is still tight. My Torque converter dosen't have a drain plug like the OEM one did :-( so I have to do the drain pan (has a drain plug on the pan at least) disconnect cooler return line, start truck watch for air, shutoff, fill pan, start truck till fluid comes out, hook up lines and then top off to "full". The extra 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of ATF buffer should be good, and besides I'll filter the old stuff it and pour it in my diesel tank for fuel.

As for what I can get locally, I have a Walmart nearby, Advance Auto Parts (seems that coupons don't work for ATF cept on some in quarts (like M1), Napa, Carquest, and a tractor supply. I can get to an autozone but it's a good 100 miles round trip from where I am at now. Hmm prolly should update my location. I used to buy 2 cases of Dex 3 ATF from Sams club, and call it a day. But I have no Sam's club membership anymore, and I don't seem to know anyone with a membership that could pick me up two cases of the "certified Dex3/Mercon ATF" they still carry. Price is pretty good at $2 a quart, so two cases would give me the 4.25-4.5 gallons I need for proper capacity, plus an extra 1.5 or so of extra flush thru the Tranny. Bout $55 with tax for 6 gallons of ATF isn't bad. Course the lack of a Sams membership kinda breaks that for me. Personally I like the cheaper Dex 3/Merecon stuff from Sams plus the recommended amount of Lubeguard Red. Pretty sure I did the Lubeguard Red back when I filed the tranny up after the rebuild.

Donald - I do have a lot of cooling, factory plumbed cooling in the radiator, then external air 15 or 20 row Ford factory trans cooler between the AC condenser and the inter-cooler, then plumbed right behind the Ford Oval in my grill, out in front of everything is a Tru-cool Max 4739 40k GVW fin and plate cooler. Before the rebuild I'd regularly see 200F even with all this cooling, now like I said it struggles to get above 140. For the late fall to about mid April I block the 40k cooler off completely with a sheet of rubber mat. Someday I might get off my arse and put some ball valves in to isolate the cooler when I dont need it.

You mentioned something about ST synthetic? I didn't even know that Wallyworld hat a ST synthetic that met the Dex3/Mercon rating, so I hadn't looked at the pricing. If the price was reasonable on 5 gallons of that I could justify it over just regular dino Dex3/Mercon or whatever house brand met the specs.

bmwtechguy - I like the sound of that Coastal stuff, $3.65 a quart isn't bad, and a synth blend would be a nice intermediate for fluid.

Of the few ATF related threads I have perused on FTE, Dex V appears to be fine in these now, as per a guy that worked on the design of the 4r100 and other Ford ATX's. Course I guess that opens up a whole other avenue of what to look at? With no warranty worries, and just my personal desire to get 170-200k+ before I have to rebuild again I want to make darn sure whatever fluid I am putting in isn't gonna give me issues.

Why the heck couldn't the powers that be just leave ATF and for that matter Coolant alone? it was so much simpler when coolant in just about every store was Ethylene Glycol - green or Dex-Cool, and there were basically 2-4 ATF's on the shelf.

I think you're getting some of your license and trademark topics mixed up.

Ford does Mercon named fluids; GM does Dexron named fluids.

To add to the confusion, the Mercon word is both a brand name of the fluid line, but also refers to the former specific fluid license.

Neither "Mercon" nor "Dexron III" fluids are licensed any longer by Ford or GM. However, the aftermarket (brand names and house brands) all still offer great alternatives. These are the ones called "D/M" or "D3/M" or "Dex/Merc", etc, etc. They are just fine for your use and have served me well. I have UOAs to show them being perfectly decent fluids. The house brands compare well against brand names in VOAs. Because the old DEXRON III and Mercon fluids were so similar, most every lube maker was able to market a single fluid that met both corporate specs. So it was very common to see "Dexron III/Mercon" licensed fluids back in the day. Now that those licensees are no longer issued by GM and Ford, no one can use those specific names for current product labeling, however they CAN use those terms for "former" applications. You'll see words like "for use in ...." or "where used", etc. The point to understand is that Ford and GM do not test and license those fluids, but the aftermarket still offers fluids for those applications, because there are MILLIONS of vehicles out there that use those fluids. And there will be for decades. Heck, Ford hasn't licensed "Type F" since the early 1980s, but you can still find that type fluid out there in many places too. You need to understand the difference is that when the aftermarket uses the wording "Mercon" and "Dexron III" they can only refer to those in the past tense, and cannot use them to label the products.

As for the "5" nomenclature, you're getting your corporate brands mixed up ...
There is no Dexron 5; you are combining Dexron (GM) and "V" (as in Ford's Mercon V).

The newest current GM fluid is Dexron VI; it is a great step forward from the former Dexron III (they skipped the naming of IV and V). There are many products that are currently licensed under this name.

Ford has several current fluids including Mercon V, Mercon LV and perhaps Mercon SP they license (although SP may no longer be ... I cannot recall). The "Mercon V" uses the "V" as the Roman numeral, but when you see the "V" in "LV" it means "low viscosity". Yeah - it's confusing.

Bottom line is this; go get a decent house brand Dex/Merc equivalent; you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Just did atf in my 99 super duty, used napa dex/merc fluid and I could feel an improvement in shifting over whatever was in there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back