When to switch manual transmission fluid to Redlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Honda Civic Si. The transmission is awful. Its very notchy in second third and sometimes first. I have 3,000 miles on the car. Does it make sense to change the fluid now or wait until I more mileage on the car so that the metals have time to collect.

Those transmissions are some of the finest feeling ones I have used, are you sure you just haven't compared them to other manuals? I'd wait a little longer on the factory fill either way. Way too soon unless your abusing the gears.

Change it now. If it's bad now it'll only get worse. No point in grinding the transmission to metal scraps. Notchiness is a complaint on the Cruze manual transmissions too, and quite a few folks found relief by swapping out the OEM junk with other GL4 gear oils.

If it's as bad as you're making it seem, then you should probably let your dealer know about it.

I had an '07 SI, and while 3rd could be a little tricky, it was much easier-shifting than my current STI.

Originally Posted By: Rocko62580
The transmission is awful. Its very notchy in second third and sometimes first. I have 3,000 miles on the car.

I'd say it's still being broken in but now could be a good time to change (I'd change it if it was me). You say the tranny is 'very notchy', how does that affect the shift. Is it taking long to sync?

If you're going with Red Line I wouldn't recommend going heavier than MTL.

Redline MTL smoothed out my RSX but that was close to 30000 miles. Seems abnormal that its not smooth with so few miles. Redline or Amsoil should smooth it right out.
19.gif

I would be afraid to change it for fear of voiding the warrenty. A new transmission should not be giving you trouble, (especially for the prices we pay for cars these days). I'd take it back to the dealer/service department. If they want to change it, so be it - at least there is a record of service. If you change it and something goes south, you might be footing the bill for a new tranny that was their problem to begin with.

Change the factory fill now with Amsoil or Redline Manual Transmission Synchromesh synthetic fluid.

you do know that ..that is not the way warranties work right?? you don't void a warranty for changing fluid..though you might if you put the wrong fluid in ..say ATF when it need MTF ...

To the OP .. I just bought a 2001 Civic, and it has the smoothest operating manual I have ever felt

Originally Posted By: deepsquat
you do know that ..that is not the way warranties work right?? you don't void a warranty for changing fluid..though you might if you put the wrong fluid in ..say ATF when it need MTF ...

To the OP .. I just bought a 2001 Civic, and it has the smoothest operating manual I have ever felt

Indeed, my last car was a 2001 Honda Civic and the manual was as smooth as butter. I've been told that the new Civics have some soft of K tranmission which has been very stiff.

Originally Posted By: 72te27
It is first a warranty issue. Make them deal with it before you attempt to fix it.

I'd do this for now. At least have them check it out, get a second opinion. Maybe you'll get a free fluid-change out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back