Tune-up on a 1998 Buick Regal 3.8L

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some of the tune up components in a '98 Regal with the 3.8L SC engine.

I can think of spark plugs, maybe wires, but what about the distributor, does it have a coil.
Air filter, what else.

Just Do the Spark Plug Wires, Spark Plugs, Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Engine Oil, Oil Filter, if you want to you can just drain and fill the coolant/antifreeze with 50/50. Add some Fuel System Cleaner to your gas tank.

THe ignition coils/distributors should be fine. unless they have rusty tips.

The supercharger has oil you can change too. It's about $10/bottle at the dealer (you'll need two), and a cheap squirt bottle to suck it out is about all you need there.

What's the best place online to buy parts, i.e. quality plug wires.

I will try to pull the OBDII code, it's throwing one. Maybe that will explain why the MPG went from 26 to 20 on the highway.

Last edited:
The 3.8 hasn't had a distributor for many year since the mid 80's. As the other posters mentioned plugs, wires, PCV valve, air filter and fuel filter as far as tune up.

You might consider Techron fuel system cleaner in the gas tank, cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor. I probably wouldn't bother with the MAF. Oh yeah and replacing the O2 sensor after high milage could be considered if you really want to go overkill.

Originally Posted By: pacem
What's the best place online to buy parts, i.e. quality plug wires.

I will try to pull the OBDII code, it's throwing one. Maybe that will explain why the MPG went from 26 to 20 on the highway.

ACDelco parts on Amazon. You need to get the code before anything else.

you can actually go to ebay motors. you can put the make model and year of your vehicle and it gives you all the categories. i bought new ac delco ignition wires for my 99 cutlass for 29.99 when at AAP they were for 44.99.

No Bosch plugs or wires! The 3800 Series II hates Bosch plugs and wires with a passion.

Plugs, wires, PCV valve, drain/fill the transmission, O2 sensor (if causing the code), air filter, fuel filter (if the lines aren't too rusty).

Get that code checked out first before tearing into it. Troubleshooting is much easier when not figuring out if the tuneup caused anything.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
No Bosch plugs or wires! The 3800 Series II hates Bosch plugs and wires with a passion.

Hmm... I used Bosch plugs and wires in my old 98 GP GTP and wife's 99 GP GT. They worked fine. No problems.

Like Virtuoso mentioned, I would do the SC oil if it's never been done. Be forewarned, the stuff smells NASTY! I used a turkey baster to suck out the old stuff.

RE: the O2 sensor, there are two. Upstream is on the back-side of the engine and downstream is underneath. I used Delphi sensors. Chances are they'll need a good dousing of PB Blaster to help you bust them loose.

I wouldn't worry about the downstream sensor 2 unless it's throwing a code for it since there's really nothing to gain by replacing sensor 2. But I would only use ACDelco O2 sensor and tune up parts. Or for the plugs NGK Laser iridiums. You need double platimun ACDelcos or the NGK double irridium or platinum with the wasted spark ignition. I think NGK has an iridium upgrade for it. They are similar to what GM used after '03. I prefer the NGK laser iridiums.

Last edited:
I run 2 of these engines one SC in a GTP and the other a turbo in a GT (not stock) here is my personal experience with them.
Bosch premium wires on both have held up very well, don't sweat the coils.
Plugs should be either a double platinum or double iridium as these use a waste spark ignition. Copper or single electrode precious metals don't last.

I did both O2's on mine with Denso's from Rock at $25 ea they work great and are not a universal!
Air filter, fuel filter, PCV and SC oil should be about it.
One note of caution. DO NOT clean the throttle body on these engines with the MAF in place.

It is in the TB housing and is held in with 2 torx screws, remove it before cleaning the TB, clean the MAF separate with MAF sensor cleaner only.
These things are known for MAF failures anyway, cleaning the TB almost guarantees its demise.
Use either a new OEM MAF or a junk yard one if you ever need one just be sure its off a SC engine. Forget the remans they suck bad.

Scanned the codes, got P1404, EGR Valve. That should explain the poor mileage and lack of power.
What's the best place to get it.

As Trav said Delphi is a good choice but you might consider the ACDelco professional series http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-214-2274-Exhaust-Recirculation-Valves/dp/B0031I4WRU/ref=pd_sbs_auto_1. I think they are basically the same but the ACDelco is a little less expensive. Neither is OE but the ACDelco OE is quiet a bit more and about $150 http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-214-5067-Egr-Valve/dp/B000C9ELTA .

Sometimes this issue can be fixed by cleaning the pintle with carb cleaner, but probably ahead just to replace it. The OE price would be a little expensive in the unlikely event that the EGR valve is not the real cause of the code. Just throwing your options out there.

Last edited:
I got real Delphi wires and ACDelco spark plugs for my Buick.

I either got them from Amazon or RockAuto - not sure which.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back