Under valve cover pics: 2005 Honda Accord 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided today to check my valve clearances on the Accord. They all looked good with a couple exhaust on the tighter side of the tolerance. While I had the valve cover off I took a few pics. The car has about 127,000 miles on it and I've owned it since 101,500 (bought a year ago). I've had Amsoil SS 0W-20 since I bought it. I'm on my 3rd OCI and I will be changing at 130,000 which will have put 10k on this oil (follwed by my 3rd UOA).

IMG_20130322_180836_764.jpg

IMG_20130322_180913_454.jpg

IMG_20130322_180955_426.jpg

No unfortunately I don't have any previous maintenance records. Whatever they did worked as I don't believe the engine was that dirty to begin with.

Nice. I also have a 2005, but with 167,000 miles. I may have to take a peek of the internals soon.

Honda's top engineer that designed the last 2-3 generation Honda 4 cyl'ers said this was his favorite.

Awesome engine.

I've put many miles on the Toyota 1.8 and Honda 2.4L. They are fantastic engines overall with a good balance of fuel efficiency, durability and power.

Originally Posted By: buster
Nice. I also have a 2005, but with 167,000 miles. I may have to take a peek of the internals soon.

It wasn't too bad to take a part. Pretty straight forward. It's just my knees can't handle leaning into the engine bay for extended periods
grin.gif

Thanks for posting. With a couple of the exhaust on the tighter side, have you ever had the "clatter on starting" thing occur?

I have been here for 4 years I have never seen any data of previous oil and oci ever!!If we had this info we could reach a conclusion which is close to impossible. Much LIKE A DINER YOU CAN NEVER REALLY FIND OUT THROUGH CONVERSATION.It is ok if you know that is going to happen!!
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
So no clue what the previous owner used and what OCIs?

Looks GREAT!!!

I have a CRV with the 2.4 K24 and I adjusted the valves at about 135,000 miles. It's had a diet of synthetic since new with 3,000-5,000 mile oil changes. The head on your engine looks as clean as mine. When I get to 250,000 miles, I'll open the valve cover again to adjust the valves and post some pics.

The 2.4L engine will outlive the auto transmission. Need to take care of it more often. The 2.4lL better match with a manual 5 speed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 72te27
Thanks for posting. With a couple of the exhaust on the tighter side, have you ever had the "clatter on starting" thing occur?

The car really didn't sound any different after the adjustment. The exhaust valves that were on the tighter side were only by 0.001"-0.002" so I made a very small adjustment. In theory if they were all too tight, loosening them would actually make the valve train noisier. It's a preventative safety measure though as you would hate to have a really tight exhaust valve and risk burning it up.

Originally Posted By: Maxima97
The 2.4L engine will outlive the auto transmission. Need to take care of it more often. The 2.4lL better match with a manual 5 speed.

I've heard the same thing reading the Accord boards. I did a 3x drain/fill right after purchasing the car (along with a new Honda transmission filter). I plan to do another drain/fill soon and put a Magnefine filter in this time.

Originally Posted By: gonefishing
Originally Posted By: 72te27

The car really didn't sound any different after the adjustment. The exhaust valves that were on the tighter side were only by 0.001"-0.002" so I made a very small adjustment. In theory if they were all too tight, loosening them would actually make the valve train noisier. It's a preventative safety measure though as you would hate to have a really tight exhaust valve and risk burning it up.

Originally Posted By: Maxima97

I've heard the same thing reading the Accord boards. I did a 3x drain/fill right after purchasing the car (along with a new Honda transmission filter). I plan to do another drain/fill soon and put a Magnefine filter in this time.

Good move with the trans fluid change. I've been changing my 05 Accord 2.4 every 30 K miles. Even though some say it is kerapp, I've always used the Honda Z-1 fluid, and most recently the DW-1 semi syn fluid. 182K miles total

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back