Windshield Replacement OEM vs aftermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wifes 2011 Camry Hybrid needs a new windshield. This being the first windshield we've ever had to replace,I don't know much about the different options.

I do know the OEM windshield has an acoustic interlayer.

ive had a few replaced and to be honest they have all seemed nice.. Im sure there are some on here that may know more.

I was pulling the windshield trim off one of my obs ford trucks and layed the tool against the windshield on one clip to pry it off. The safelite windshield spider cracked. Aftermarket glass is really brittle. Atleast safelite compared to an original ford windshield.

Safelite is the company my insurance (USAA) recommended. I asked what kind of glass they use and all Safelite would tell me is thats its called "Safelite Pro",whatever the heck that is...lol

I like the ID or whatever it's called to be branded the same as the OE glass to match the other glass for aesthetic reasons at least. Safelite use to carry different brands Carlite for Ford for isntance.

Since your insurance is paying, I believe you can go to any glass shop you like. Or you can under NY law.

I suggest you go to the shop. You want everything nice and warm for the best install. So inside and warm, even if they will come to you.

We're not using our insurance. My wife had called just to see if they had a recommendation for a local company.

Yes,it'll be going to whichever shop we choose. The weather in my neck of the woods is unpredictable right now. We had 4" of snow this morning and now its 50° and sunny.

Most OE glass is laminated for sound now, and some have a special UV filter. You might want to make sure any aftermarket glass has all the same features as the factory windshield did.

Many of the windshields carried by Safelite and other aftermarket replacement companies are poorly made in China. Do a search on the internet, and you will see it is better to go with the original factory glass in most cases.

Looks like APT or Pilkington are going to be the most reasonably priced replacements that aren't OEM.

Apparently,I'm the one customer out of a hundred thats looking for a quality piece of glass.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Most OE glass is laminated for sound now, and some have a special UV filter. You might want to make sure any aftermarket glass has all the same features as the factory windshield did.

Ditto...and it has been reported that some aftermarket glass is not as thick as OEM.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
We're not using our insurance. My wife had called just to see if they had a recommendation for a local company.

Yes,it'll be going to whichever shop we choose. The weather in my neck of the woods is unpredictable right now. We had 4" of snow this morning and now its 50° and sunny.

Why not? With USAA, glass is free. I've had to use them a couple of times, and haven't had any issues.

Safe lite are trash windshields. They changed out four of them free as they had defects in glass in line of vision or cracks not from trauma.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Why not? With USAA, glass is free. I've had to use them a couple of times, and haven't had any issues.

USAA doesn't offer a glass deductible waiver in Washington State. So in our case,its not free.

I recieved a notice from subaru about eyesight equipped vehicles (adaptive cruise control) that only OEM windshields are "specced" correctly for eyesight to work correctly. I suppose this makes sense, and you should take it into consideration if your fancy hybrid has that option.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

USAA doesn't offer a glass deductible waiver in Washington State. So in our case,its not free.

crazy2.gif

Check the dealers too, on my Sienna the local Toyota dealer was slightly less than the usual glass shops, and they used OEM glass. Not saying that will be your experience but it might be worth a check.

I just had mine replaced in my 2008 Scion xB... Found a local installer who uses PPG/PGW glass which is made in Pittsburgh and does a lot of OEM stuff.

Replacement is flawless. Glass is clear all over and no distortions or defects. Perfect quality really. Very happy.

I used to have an 83 mercedes 240D and my dad had an 82 300D. Well a large branch had fallen on my window and I was waiting for the free replacement through state farm. Well while waiting I drove my dads car. While I was driving it I got a headache and felt sick to my stomach. I started paying attention to the windshield in my dads car and it looked like it had a prescription eye glass effect to them. He had an aftermarket windshield installed for free with his insurance too. I immediately called state farm and told them I wanted factory glass. They said no problem but it would take 4 extra days. Completely worth the wait. When the guy came out to install the windshield he said it was very smart to ask for factory glass. He also said to make sure you get a factory new gasket and they should never be reused because he sees a lot of leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back