Firestone Destination LE2 SUV Tires: Got Good Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kam327
The Firestone shop I went to was excellent.

How about your gas mileage? I have a 2006 Explorer when I changed tires the first time from BF Goodrich oem I went with the first generation Destination LE's. I took a hit in gas mileage. The new tires have already outlasted the facory BFG's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rshaw125

How about your gas mileage? I have a 2006 Explorer when I changed tires the first time from BF Goodrich oem I went with the first generation Destination LE's. I took a hit in gas mileage. The new tires have already outlasted the facory BFG's.

If I was still driving it as my commuter I'd know but my wife drives it now. And she works from home so it doesn't get much use at the moment. If we end up going to Disney tomorrow I'll get a sense of the highway mileage and report back.

Anyone have experience as to gas mileage with these new Firestone's? I am considering these for my Explorer.

The MPG on my Jeep hasn't really changed since the swap. Remember though if replacing old worn tires with new ones you will take at least some MPG hit due to increased rolling resistance from new tread.

I've had LE2's on my tundra for 6 months--- 6000 miles or a little more. very happy with them. they will start talking some when they need to be rotated.

no impacts +/- to mpg observed.

Quote:
I tell them up front "no new valve stems" since they will charge an additional $2 a tire. In my 50 years of driving I never had trouble with old valve stems.
I've had cracked rubber valve stems that lost air. I've also had deteriorated rubber gaskets on steel valve stems that lost air.

Valve stems cost you or me 25¢ each in a bag of 50. Wally will pay less. And, these are the cheapest Chinese valve stems Wally can find. I'd get them replaced.
http://www.fixtires.com/tire_valve_stems.php

I just wanted to throw up my initial thoughts on these tires for anyone else considering them. On our 2011 Honda CR-V the tread on our factory Contisports was not too far from the treadwear indicator and were really noisy. Replaced them yesterday with the Firestone Dest. LE2's after reading great reviews and also finding them $50 cheaper a tire than my other choices. Noticed an immediate improvement in ride quality. They are silent, minimal if any corner roll noticed, and it just happened to be raining good yesterday as I left our local Firestone and noticed a huge improvement in wet traction over the factory Conti's. Being in rainy Florida wet traction was of utmost importance. Even when the Conti's were near new they still made me feel a lack of confidence and I would notice minor hydroplaning but so far the LE2s were awesome in the rain.

I noticed the same thing on my LEs from a few years ago, inexpensive tires. wore quickly and poor on fuel.

I've never been a fan of Firestone products but the new LE2's are supposed to be fantastic. I just bought a 2009 RAV4 and the tires have 5/32 left. I was going to wait until next fall to get new tires but the LE2's are priced so well I'm debating whether to do it now. Including EVERYTHING a set of 4 would cost me $604. That is a GREAT price on 235/55/18.

ruxCY*... the LE2s are probably the highest satisfaction I've ever had on tires spanning from Uniroyal and General to Bridgestone and Michelin. The only other tire I'd consider right now are the GY tripletreads, which come in on top right now on tirerack reviews.

our T&C in my sig needs new tires, the michelins on it now spin like nuts in the rain. If they had the LE2 in that size, I would have bought. While I've never had good luck with GY, I pulled the trigger and ordered a set with an $80 rebate.

If you can get a deal on the LE2s, I'd got for it. I have a hard time thinking they'll keep the prices down on something that could become very popular.

Originally Posted By: meep
ruxCY*... the LE2s are probably the highest satisfaction I've ever had on tires spanning from Uniroyal and General to Bridgestone and Michelin. The only other tire I'd consider right now are the GY tripletreads, which come in on top right now on tirerack reviews.

our T&C in my sig needs new tires, the michelins on it now spin like nuts in the rain. If they had the LE2 in that size, I would have bought. While I've never had good luck with GY, I pulled the trigger and ordered a set with an $80 rebate.

If you can get a deal on the LE2s, I'd got for it. I have a hard time thinking they'll keep the prices down on something that could become very popular.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to go for it!

Originally Posted By: ruxCYtable
I've never been a fan of Firestone products but the new LE2's are supposed to be fantastic. I just bought a 2009 RAV4 and the tires have 5/32 left. I was going to wait until next fall to get new tires but the LE2's are priced so well I'm debating whether to do it now. Including EVERYTHING a set of 4 would cost me $604. That is a GREAT price on 235/55/18.

thats a good deal.. right now with no rebates

they cost 603+shipping from tirerack

or about 645$+mount and balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back