Recommended oil for Honda Accord 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2013 Accord requires a 0w-20 oil, which for the most part is synthetic. At the very least it is a synthetic-blend.

The best 0w-20 at the moment would be Eneos Sustina 0w-20. Other top quality fluids include Mazda w/Moly 0w-20, Toyota Genuine 0w-20 or Honda Synthetic 0w-20 (NOT the Honda Synthetic-blend 0w-20).

Amsoil Signature 0w-20 and Redline 0w-20 are also very potent high performance oils

For a cheaper solution: Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20, Quaker State 0w-20 or Mobil 1 0w-20 are easy to find at Walmart.

FYI: In my Accord, i plan to use Toyota 0w-20. However i plan to mix it with Mobil 1 0w-40 to thicken it up (I autocross and race my car).

Isn't 0W-20 the recommended type? If so, I don't think you can get it in dino oil. Just use Pennzoil Platinum and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: MJBigelow
Is synthetic oil mandatory or recommended for 2013 Honda Accord?

Pretty much mandatory since there are no 0w-20 mineral oils available.

I am going with PP 0w20 for my first change with a fram ultra. I looked at Mobil one, Kendall, mag1 also and may try them in the future. Are you planning on following the Honda maintience minder for changes? I have almost 10k so far and I am still at 30%.

Yes, mandatory. If you DIY be sure to keep a log with mileage recorded and receipts in case you have any warranty issues. Also, do not change the factory oil fill for at least 5000 miles.

Tell the stealer Honda makes a blend and here in NYC rip off city they charge $39.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: MJBigelow
Is synthetic oil mandatory or recommended for 2013 Honda Accord? The dealer said it is the only kind they use.

I am currently running the TGMO 0w-20. I have not noticed a difference over the Honda Semi-syn 0w-20. The 2013 is a DI engine, so I would use an oil that will hold up to some fuel dilution.

Synthetic oil can be had for so cheap (by buying it during a sale or clearance) that I don't understand why you wouldn't use it, along with a quality filter.

The oil is dark brown but not black. I have 9700 miles and it is now at 20%. Probably going to change it out soon as the salesman said to change it at 15%. Also it has not burned a drop as far as i can tell.

To be fair, I think most of us _don't know_. Certainly, the 0W20 oils mentioned are good. However, we don't know much about the Honda engines. I believe the 2013 engines are brand new, and there are two of them, the V6 and I4. The previous 2.4L I4 was exceptionally good, very easy on oil. You could run 8,000 mile OCI on conventional with it.

Originally Posted By: Zako2
I believe the 2013 engines are brand new, and there are two of them, the V6 and I4. The previous 2.4L I4 was exceptionally good, very easy on oil. You could run 8,000 mile OCI on conventional with it.

The 2013 engines are essentially direct-injected versions of the previous engines. The I-4 is still a K-series 4-cylinder and the V-6 is still a J-series V-6. All of the good and bad that go along with that should still remain, for the most part.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Zako2
I believe the 2013 engines are brand new, and there are two of them, the V6 and I4. The previous 2.4L I4 was exceptionally good, very easy on oil. You could run 8,000 mile OCI on conventional with it.

The 2013 engines are essentially direct-injected versions of the previous engines. The I-4 is still a K-series 4-cylinder and the V-6 is still a J-series V-6. All of the good and bad that go along with that should still remain, for the most part.

True, but now with the added quirks which are still to be determined, of DI from Honda.

Why the love of TGMO vs Mazda 0-20--? I thought Mazda was better on paper
Some interesting facts from the 500 page owner's manual posted
engine oil capacity essentially the same for both engines: 4.2 oc only 4.5 for oil & filter
The windshield washer tank capacity for US models is 2.6 liters while Canadian models get the big 5.2 liter tank. I wonder what Alaskan cars get?
The radiator capacities on both engines is essentially the same 1.7 gal which = 7 quarts and makes for an extremely fast warmup when cold, but virtually no extra capacity if the system is taxed

Actually, the 2013 accord engines are not even close to the same engines as 2012 and previous. Speaking about the I4, even the block has changed. The engine is lighter and has the exhaust coming out of the front of the engine now. The angles for the valves have changed, as has the offset for the pistons. The pistons are a different shape, and compression is up to 11.1 to 1. It has much more torque as well. I have a complete write up if anyone is interested. In other words, it may or may not be a longer lasting, trouble free power plant. Personally, I've owned both, and I like the 2013 version much better. The 40 - 43 mpg Canadian overall I get is nice as well. So far I have no oil consumption on it. I've used PP 0w20 and Amsoil SS 0w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back