Motor mount... hydraulic or solid rubber??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update!!!

I found a brand new OEM one 'NOS'(new old stock) for $80 plus $15 shipping. Ebay came through!

At idle it isnt so bad with the solid rubber, but at mid range/certain rpms, it's unbearable. I hope the seller ships fast, I want to get this thing in ASAP!!

a bad design like a engine that vibrates more than it should. or a 4 cyl with no balance shaft, that will all ways vibrate. if you cant tell iam bias against 4 cyl engines.

Originally Posted By: babyivan
Update!!!

I found a brand new OEM one 'NOS'(new old stock) for $80 plus $15 shipping. Ebay came through!

At idle it isnt so bad with the solid rubber, but at mid range/certain rpms, it's unbearable. I hope the seller ships fast, I want to get this thing in ASAP!!

I use to find NOS for some 80's popular GM models for a fraction of their price on Ebay. I kind miss the days when GM parts could be found hanging from the trees.

Originally Posted By: morris
a bad design like a engine that vibrates more than it should. or a 4 cyl with no balance shaft, that will all ways vibrate. if you cant tell iam bias against 4 cyl engines.

True but if you can make an engine's vibrations acceptable with engine mount design without resorting to balance shafts, that has it's advantages too.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

I use to find NOS for some 80's popular GM models for a fraction of their price on Ebay. I kind miss the days when GM parts could be found hanging from the trees.
I know, but those days are long gone.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: morris
They added a balance when it became the 3800 and then a few years later, a better balanced camshaft to further smooth things out. The 80's were a confusing time for the General, what can I say.

As far as 4 bangers are concerned, I used to feel the same way until I bought an '88 Camry with the 3SFE 4 cylinder engine. That thing got great mileage and mated with the 5 speed, it held it's own (for an 80's car that is). Super reliable and EASY EASY EASY to work on!... did I mention they were easy to work on!?!
I hated the 5FSE that replaced it with the new for '92 body style, that thing shook like crazy! They were "motor mount hungry", always needed replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back