Flex Pipe Leaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 99 SL2 Saturn with 216,000 miles. In early October had a noise/vibration. Replaced top motor mount (common problem) which did not resolve noise. Went to a exhaust shop. I am thinking flex pipe may be bad. They said it was good, but told me my other mounts were shot. Replaced the worn out torque struts and transmission mount. Resolved the vibration/noise. Fast forward to last few weeks. Temps dropped. Now it is sounding like belt chirped and making noise when cold. Eventually replaced tensioner, idler pulley, and belt. Switched power steering pump fluid to Mobil 1. Seemed to resolve that noise. Currently when I am parked outside when temps in 30's car sounds loud at start-up. I am not hearing this noise when parking in garage. It reminds me of few times I have had muffler leak. This car has a fairly new resonator and muffler. Everything from cat forward is original. To ensure I do not throw parts at things, I am thinking flex pipe when cold leaks. When car warms up sound goes away and it makes a better seal. When the exhaust system was tested the car was fully warmed up. Before taking it to shop I noticed carbon residue around flex pipe. They did weld leak at resonator. That is all they found bad exhaust wise....All the parts I replaced were a hodge podge of after market ones that may be producing non OEM performance. Thanks in advance!

There's a clamp between the downpipe directly ahead of the flexpipe and the brace between oil pan and trans. Is this clamp still good? If it's not you get a buzz from the slight space and it vibrating, even if you don't have a leak.

If you get a replacement flexpipe, don't get the junky big one (manifold to cat) from advance auto. It's not stainless and will get very stiff in just a year-- what a ripoff! On another car I just cut the flex part out with a sawzall and welded in a universal flex that was in fact stainless like they all should be.

I not getting buzzing. Just loud noise at start-up with outside temps at 30 degrees or so. I have seen Richpin06 replace just the flex pipe. I would think the shop I went to could weld one in, but I am not sure if they use stainless. I am looking for two more years out of my Saturn.

Stuff a rag in the exhaust and start her up. You and a friend can rev it a bit to see/hear where the leak is easily.
This is OK for 15 seconds or so.

I had to work this morning and only have one friend that lives in California.
smile.gif

Went back to the exhaust shop. They checked for leaks and could not find anything. Only thing they could see is some vibration or they thought noise around air filter housing. The Helmholtz resonator that originally came on my car was gone by time I bought it. So maybe they noticed the increased air noise at air filter housing?

I am thinking some other variables they may contribute:

1. The new, tighter rubber of all the mounts I replaced increasing noise when cold. I am getting more buzzing on doors, dash, etc during certain RPMs.
2. Oil is cold and not flowing well. I am using Castrol Syntec 10w-30. It was cranking a little slow when I noticed the most start-up noise. Last night I added some MMO. I have used it in the winter in past years and it seemed to make engine smoother.
3. It an old Saturn. What more can I say? It was never the most refined car in its day....

Just as I have accepted having an oil burning Saturn. This may be something I just need to ignore or wait until something more obvious shows itself as the problem. I am thinking this may be the nature of the aging beast.

It was not quite as bad after starting-up in 30 degree temps. Maybe MMO helped? I used my remote start and could not find/see anything obvious before going to the muffler shop.

I think I solved the mystery...

Yesterday my car sounded loud when I started it and all the way home (about 15 minutes). Went to work this morning and made it about 2 miles or so and got a Service Engine Soon light coming on and off. Car was running rough at stop signs. I made it a mile further to work. Code reader I had said P0303. Looked up code and indicated problem with cylinder #3. That plug always had extra deposits. I am thinking exhaust valve was not sealing thus the loud nose with very cold starts. Four exhaust shops said no exhaust leak and I could not find anything pressurizing the exhaust and spraying soapy water. I drove it to a local shop and they will put in a used motor. I needed a car fast and this seemed to be the best route with my circumstances. I get to borrow a RX300 for the week.
smile.gif
I had a little over 219,000 miles on the motor. I get a 2011 Malibu when my stepfather is gone. I am rolling the dice to see if my Saturn can outlive him.
57.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back