Pennzoil Gold vs Pennzoil Synthetic Blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We sell Gold at work and I was always under the impression that it was Dexos approved, anyone know the difference between the two other than the Dexos rating? I don't care about Dexos as I have a Ford, but they have the syn blend at my Walmart right now for $16.50 for the 5 quart jug....so it sounds like a pretty sweet deal

There probably isn't one. I wonder why they don't just make Pennzoil Gold 5w30 as their dexos blend.

I actually emailed Shell about this, and here is what they had to say:

Thank you for your inquiry. The Pennzoil Synthetic Blend 5w 30 which
is GM dexos 1 approved was designed to meet stringent factors
required by the General Motors for extended drain and lower
volatility while The Pennzoil gold was designed to meet the API SN
standard .

and see, I dont get their logic, because the 24 quart eco boxes of gold have the dexos flag as well...seems like maybe gold is just for oil change facilities? i dk, i just think all the marketing behind it is silly lol

I'd suggest to scrap the Pennzoil Gold all together and buy Platinum or Ultra and use the $10 mail-in rebate (and the additional $5 off future purchase of Pennzoil). Better oil for cheaper than you're considering right now!

I think that the reason that the Gold is not dexos1® approved is because it doesn't meet the NOACK limit of
The Gold is regularily stocked and sold at Menard's in the midwest.

Last edited:
I've used Ultra and switched to Platinum as Ultra got harder to find in my area, but I like to change my oil more than synthetic requires lol, so I'm looking to down grade

Thanks, I didn't know about the <13% for dexos...but I could have sworn that Gold was dexos as well...anyway, what you said makes alot of sense, thank you

Originally Posted By: Stang40
We sell Gold at work and I was always under the impression that it was Dexos approved, anyone know the difference between the two other than the Dexos rating? I don't care about Dexos as I have a Ford, but they have the syn blend at my Walmart right now for $16.50 for the 5 quart jug....so it sounds like a pretty sweet deal

How about QSUD for about $2 more?

Hi, I understand this thread is more than 10 years old now, but am just curious what "QSUD" is (pretty sure "QS" is Quaker State, but don't know what "UD" is...or was..)?

Thanks in advance,

g

I remember back when Pennzoil Gold was HDEO oil:

PG.png

Originally Posted by threeputtpar
I think that the reason that the Gold is not dexos1� approved is because it doesn't meet the NOACK limit of

Do you have a link to the Noack information?

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by threeputtpar
I think that the reason that the Gold is not dexos1� approved is because it doesn't meet the NOACK limit of

Do you have a link to the Noack information?

The gold was gen 1 Dexos approved... In part due to it's NOACK being less than 13%... The reason it is no longer is likely due to the fact Pennzoil realized it was not really selling well and even if it did sell... It took away sales from their own product Pennzoil Platinum. Also they may not have wanted too or bothered with the reformulation needed for Dexos gen 2.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Its only five years.

Ahhhh...I was going by one of the posters "Joined" date (on the left), not the post dates on the right.

The consensus is both were the same. Pennzoil likely did not want to pay the cartel fee from GM for DEXOS for every quart sold. To get around this Shell divided its single product into two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back