2006 V6 mustang pulley noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it's cold here (probably 45 F or cooler) i hear an awful squealing noise coming from one of the pulleys.....I've replaced the belt, tensioner, and idler pulley with no luck. I've read that it could either be the water pump pulley or the harmonic balancer, any thoughts?

You probably need to find out exactly where the noise is originating. Have you tried using a length of heater hose as a stethoscope and pin-pointing the source?

A friend and i tried that but couldnt really find anything... I've read to look for vibrations in the pulleys and they dont look to be vibrating at all...but its definitely coming from the front of the motor

Try putting a few dabs of SILICONE grease on the ribbed side of the belt or the V side of the belt. Do this with the engine OFF. Then starta nd idle the engine. This should help. I have solved a lot of belt noises with this little trick. And do NOT use petroleum based grease.

Thanks everyone, the water pump is cheaper and way easier to install so that'll be my first move if the grease doesnt work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back