Jeep Commander ELSD front and rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
The front and rear diffs have Electronic Limited Slip and it is recommended to add Limited Slip Additive.
MY question is: if the gear oil used already has LSD Additive (gear oil for Limited Slip Diffs) is it still necessary to add more additive.
The second question is whether adding more actually has any negatives - that is "it would not do any harm anyhow".
Thanks Aussie

Are you sure it's not just the traction control system applying the brakes? I don't recall Commanders coming from the factory with any lockers.

Are you talking about a full fluid change or just a top off? If you're doing a fluid change then the answer is maybe. My Mustang required the 4 oz. of Motorcraft friction modifier in the diff along with the "no LS additive needed" fluid to stop the chatter but my truck did not. You can try it without the extra additive and add it later if the diff is acting up or just do it all the first time.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Are you sure it's not just the traction control system applying the brakes? I don't recall Commanders coming from the factory with any lockers.

Jeep offers a number of systems.... and I'm with Miller88. I think it's brake-pulsed. The top-of-the-line uses that dual-pump quadra---drive/track II ??? man I can't recall... but those are mechanical.

The first link from a Google search for "jeep commander electronic limited slip":

http://www.allpar.com/model/jeep/commander.html

Quote:
Class-leading off-road capability and on-road refinement were mandatory for the Jeep Commander, which had the same 4x4 systems, suspension and powertrains as the award-winning 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, including an independent front suspension and rack and pinion steering. Available on Commander were:
•Three full-time four-wheel drive systems, Quadra-Trac I®, Quadra-Trac II® and Quadra-Drive II®
•Two transfer cases offering Brake Traction Control System (BTCS), and Electronic Limited Slip Differentials (ELSD) for best-in-class tractive performance
•Three available engines: the 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 with the Multi-Displacement System, the 4.7-liter SOHC Power Tech V-8, and the 3.7-liter SOHC Power Tech V-6 engine

And the third link:

Chrysler press release

Quote:
Quadra-Drive II is one of the most advanced four-wheel-drive transfer case systems available, providing Jeep Commander best-in-class tractive capability. Electronic Limited Slip Differentials (ELSD) — front/center/rear—offer customers the ultimate in off-road capability.

Originally Posted By: meep
Originally Posted By: Miller88

Jeep offers a number of systems.... and I'm with Miller88. I think it's brake-pulsed. The top-of-the-line uses that dual-pump quadra---drive/track II ??? man I can't recall... but those are mechanical.

There was one that was some sort of hyraducally actuated locking / limited slip system - but that was in the WJ Grand Cherokee and didn't carry over to the 05+ models.

If you had said rear only , I would have assumed a limited slip type of differential.

Typical ELSD's are brake biased traction aids, however, the carrier in the front axle of the Commander with this option does have an electronic actuator and is not simply an open diff.

ok. that means it's a clutch pack, so traditional LSD goop applies. My experience with clutch based LSDs, both mechanical and hydraulic, varies. The amsoil in the tundra shuddered some, and says it includes LSD additive; it required an extra tube of the stuff. we put M1 in a buddy's GM LS rear and it did fine with whatever was already in it.

Last edited:
Hi, The following is what initiated my original lube question.
My Commander is fitted with the QD II 4wd system which uses the Eaton EGerodisc where the centre diff has a georotor pump working in conjunction with electronic speed sensors. In high range under normal driving conditions 52% of drive is sent to the rear axle 48% to the front. If the electronics sense a difference in speed the georotor oil pump loads up the clutch packs progressively. In low range the centre diff is automatically locked i.e the clutch packs are loaded. The front and rear diffs also have a similar georotor pump and clutch pack assembly and can theoretically direct drive to either both or one wheel depending on which is not spinning. Which in theory makes it one of the only true 4 wheel drives around. Most use normal l.s.d or traction control on the wheel braking system. The problem with using the brake traction control is it robs the engine of power by applying the brakes and slowing the vehicle down (in fact you can almost come to a standstill as the brakes chatter on and off!). The QD II system does not do this as full power is always being distributed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back