Honda V6 valve clearnace inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice videos on the adjustment there. I subscribed to EricTheCarGuy. Appears to be a manageable job on a passenger car, maybe not so much on an Odyssey. I would be willing to tackle it, but I would allow all day for it. I see the mechanism with the nut and slotted screw hasn't changed since my 86 Accord, on which I adjusted the valves every 15K per the service manual.

Actually, Odyssey has more room than the Acura for this job! Make sure you purchase that jam nut thingy from the Amazon and angled feeler gauges

I know in the J35 its a pain in the A, to get the valve cover off (lots of have too come off). In fact its very tight to get the rear plugs out. I'm going to let the dealer handle that at 100K (plugs, timing belt, and valve adjustment).

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: mattd
I would do it. I have done many and there have been a good amount with tight valves on the exhaust side. If they become tight enough, they will burn and cause misfire codes. .........

Burnt valves is something that is showing up on the Subaru forums, often well before 100,000 miles, with Subaru's DOHC 2.5L turbo motor. Subaru does not call for a valve lash inspection at any mileage, and valve lash adjustment requires removal of the camshaft.

Interesting we skipped that service on my wife's 2005 Legacy GT.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
I would do it. I have done many and there have been a good amount with tight valves on the exhaust side. If they become tight enough, they will burn and cause misfire codes. .........

Burnt valves is something that is showing up on the Subaru forums, often well before 100,000 miles, with Subaru's DOHC 2.5L turbo motor. Subaru does not call for a valve lash inspection at any mileage, and valve lash adjustment requires removal of the camshaft.

Interesting we skipped that service on my wife's 2005 Legacy GT.

How many miles are on it? (Hopefully not drifting too far off topic -- we are talking about valve adjustment after all).

Yep no special tools needed for these.

16580625.jpg

Trav, what do you set the intake/exhaust at on a Honda 6?

Our Acura calls for 0.008" - 0.009" intake and 0.011" - 0.013" exhaust. Do you err on the tighter side or the looser side?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
When is the best time to do the valve adjustments? At a certain mileage?

maintenance calls for 110K on newer hondas. Do them after the engine has sat cold over night.

Thanks Matt. My '06 Honda Odyssey is nearing 80,000 miles and about to go in for servicing anyway, so I was wondering if now is a good time to adjust, or wait til the 105K-110K service is due.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Does your engine have VCM?

No. Honda EX without VCM.

I would have said to do it around now if you had VCM but non VCM you will have no issue.

I try to keep it in the middle of the given values if possible.
Rather a little loose than tight but if your checking and the lower value passes easily its fine. I only adjust if the lower value is tight or the upper value is loose.
Correct should feel like your passing the passing the feeler over a magnet, very slight drag.

If you suspect tight valves, you will be able to see this in fuel trim. It will show a rich condtiion, -15/20%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back