Mercedes 1.6L V6 Turbo F1 Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it will that fit in my Camry
lol.gif
lol.gif

I want to know which Mercedes will have that engine in it, so i can start saving money now and buy it...
grin2.gif

It looks like they have some form of an electric motor sandwiched between the compressor and turbine of the turbocharger. This would be a way to do energy recovery from the exhaust when the turbine can make more power than is required to drive the compressor. That's pretty neat stuff if they can make it work.

It says in the article that they are expecting a total of 750HP from the combined powerplant, and that the Energy Recovery Systems can account for 160HP. This would mean that the engine output by itself would be 590HP. This doesn't seem like much of a challenge, given that the old F1 turbo's made up to 1000HP out of 1.5 liters at ~13,000rpm. Even when they had them restricted to 2.5 bar manifold pressure, they still made 670HP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Artem
I want to know which Mercedes will have that engine in it, so i can start saving money now and buy it...
grin2.gif

Keep saving, F1 cars are expensive. Plus a version you buy after the season will not have any of the secret toys on it anymore.

Compare the size of the "thing" between the turbine and compressor with the size of the clutch just beneath it....

I've got an article floating around my drawers at work which has a Mitsubishi patent electric supercharger, and turbo-compounding to provide shaft power to produce the electric power.

Energy recovery/injection between the two elements makes a load of sense, reducing lag, and as we see even with the old 6-71...blower drive power can deliver many times that available horsepower.

The old 1.5s ran 3+bar, and manufacturer tailored fuel that matched the burn characteristics of the engine (octane versus cylinder pressure)...not possible on regulation fuel.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
It looks like they have some form of an electric motor sandwiched between the compressor and turbine of the turbocharger. This would be a way to do energy recovery from the exhaust when the turbine can make more power than is required to drive the compressor. That's pretty neat stuff if they can make it work.

It says in the article that they are expecting a total of 750HP from the combined powerplant, and that the Energy Recovery Systems can account for 160HP. This would mean that the engine output by itself would be 590HP. This doesn't seem like much of a challenge, given that the old F1 turbo's made up to 1000HP out of 1.5 liters at ~13,000rpm. Even when they had them restricted to 2.5 bar manifold pressure, they still made 670HP.

The current engine which has been frozen for 7 years is a 2.4L V8, the old turbos have been gone for a long time and so very different from the current engine of the last 7 years...

The Energy Recovery System’ (ERS): kinetic energy (ERS-K) and exhaust heat energy (ERS-H) is recovered by two electric motor-generator units named MGU-H and MGU-K which is good for about 160HP.

I am quite familiar with the history of F1 propulsion. I just haven't had much interest in it since they went away from the V10's, instituted rev limits, and froze the engine designs.

A couple of points::

It is possible to use a motor to cut turbo lag,
It is possible to use a motor to recharge KERS when boost limits are reached
These motors are smaller and lighter than the curent crankshaft KERS units which have to 'harvest' the energy durring braking.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Aren't KERS required even under the CURRENT rules??

KERS is currently only optional. It would be a disadvantage to not have KERS now though as they increased the minimum weight of the cars to allow for the KERS unit.

Originally Posted By: supercity
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Aren't KERS required even under the CURRENT rules??

KERS is currently only optional. It would be a disadvantage to not have KERS now though as they increased the minimum weight of the cars to allow for the KERS unit.

OK, I had thought that Bernie/et al, were forcing all of the teams to explore green technologies, but now that appears to be the 'roundabout' case with the weight increases.
wink.gif

Interesting short article and video about the sound of this new Mercedes engine:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109133

"......................a full dyno lap of Monza that has been synchronised with video from Mercedes' simulator, provides the latest clue as to what the new generation of cars will sound like................................While the simulation gives the closest indication so far of the V6 turbo noise, Mercedes engine chief Andy Cowell has made it clear that it will be different when the real engines are running on track.............."

I sure hope it's different. To be a proper F1 engine, it needs to have that unadulterated wail and scream that just seems to be lacking in that clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back