Powermore 277cc OHV Snowthrower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thrower won't start- plug has spark, didn't look fouled. Hasn't been run in a year or 2. I know I put stabil in it last time I ran it, usually fill it up, but somehow it seemed like it was near empty on gas this evening. Was gonna try starting fluid, but I can't even see where the intake is to spray it. Ideas?

Check your priming bulb because its probably not working and the carby is totally dry.

I wouldn't be using starting fluid. Good way to crack a piston on a gas motor. Putting a little gas in the intake? Sure.

+1 on the primer bulb. Check gas lines for cracks or mice damage from chewing. Snow blowers do not have air filters so follow the carb back. They could pull in air past hot exhaust to warm it. I am OK with starter fluid. Replace the spark plug regardless. Fuel shutoff you forgot about?

I have read that the spark plug should be replaced once a year on lawnmowers, though this thing has only been used like 4 times in three years, and maybe not at all last year. The spark plug is a bear to get out, and for some reason the socket I have (13/16) is barely deep enough to get it off....Even if I was to spray starting fluid in the spark plug hole, seems like it might evaporate in the 4 minutes or so it could take me to get it back in. I'll check the priming bulb.

Originally Posted By: montero1
Even if I was to spray starting fluid in the spark plug hole, seems like it might evaporate in the 4 minutes or so it could take me to get it back in. I'll check the priming bulb.

Nah that's the beauty of it. It will evaporate but condense on other surfaces further away and the part that's still vaporized will sort of waft around. This will get you a few spark cycles worth of fuel.

Sometimes you'll get "something" in the carb that just needs tons of vacuum to shake loose. You won't get it with the starter rope but a couple chugs running on starter fluid will pull it through. Make sure you have the choke a little bit off when you start it off ether.

Be careful with the starting fluid idea. I've found that it doesn't really help because a pull cord doesn't turn the engine fast enough so you end up using alot of it then once it does fire KABOOM. Backfire.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Be careful with the starting fluid idea. I've found that it doesn't really help because a pull cord doesn't turn the engine fast enough so you end up using alot of it then once it does fire KABOOM. Backfire.

Starting fluid and a new spark plug did it- took the hose off the primer bulb and sprayed into the carburetor, put it back on, gave it a couple pumps and it started right up.

Hooray! Now put something in this gas that will clean it out. Seafoam or ???

I have some Regane I can put in it, and I'll just get in the practice of running it once a month or so during the rest of the year.

Last edited:
I'd put some seafoam in the gas. Then tart it up and spray SeaFoam (they makes a spray version) on the throttle plate so that it gets sucked into the air intake to clean things out. There's a video of this on their site.

After you shut it down, remove the spark plug and pour about 1 OZ of Sea Foam in the plug hole. Cover it with a rag and pull slowly pull the starter cord 2-3 times to distribute the SeaFoam. On the last pull, stop when the piston is at TDC. You'll know when you're pulling slowly because the cord will stop. This shuts the valves and puts the piston at top dead center. Put the spark plug back in.

Originally Posted By: montero1
Thrower won't start- plug has spark, didn't look fouled. Hasn't been run in a year or 2. I know I put stabil in it last time I ran it, usually fill it up, but somehow it seemed like it was near empty on gas this evening. Was gonna try starting fluid, but I can't even see where the intake is to spray it. Ideas?

Is it getting fuel? How old is the fuel? Was the plug wet?

2yr old gas is a very bad sign.

OK, now how does one check/change the oil for the blades? I see the fill cap, but don't see the drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back