$50 a bottle and it's green

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the factory and service fill for the 8-speed ZF transmission in my Chrysler. It's $50 for a 1 liter bottle and according to the MSDS it's GREEN not RED.

$(KGrHqZHJEwE88eJ2ugsBP,V1kHc,w~~60_12.JPG

Now I understand why many transmissions are considered a lifetime fill now. It takes a lifetime to save up for the fluid flush!

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
That fluid is clear to very slight amber color, but def not green in my experience.

ZF8.jpg

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Wow. I thought Honda's DW-1 was expensive.

So...

You gonna use MaxLife?? LOL

Given that I put about 7000 miles a year on my car, I'm sure I'll be getting another car before the tranny in this one needs servicing.

Originally Posted By: Donald
This is the 8HP transmission that uses Chrysler #68157995AA?
I am sure there are online places to buy the stuff for a more reasonable cost.

It's $49.99 from a dealer on e-bay. The lowest I found elsewhere online was about $38 a bottle for the ZF fluid. Mopar parts overstock has the Chrysler part # fluid for $34.

Be nice to read an interview with one of the automotive engineers about the "lifetime fill" issue that many companies recommend.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Now I understand why many transmissions are considered a lifetime fill now. It takes a lifetime to save up for the fluid flush!
+ 1

FWIW the new Mazda FZ ATF for the SkyActiv is blue and MSRPs for $14.89 a quart. Mazda told our techs in their classes that if the fluid in the trans is not blue, it has been tampered with by the customer and to call corporate to begin warranty invalidation.

This fluid and the ZF 6HP fluid are probably the closest to a "lifetime" transmission fluid that I have seen. The highly additized fluid, combined with the adaptive ability of ZF's internal mechatronic module, deals with physical changes in the fluid over time/miles. I would probably still want to exchange the fluid at 120k or 150k miles due to particulate contamination. Or, better yet, after the warranty is done, add an inline filter to keep the fluid cleaner.

The descriptions on that data sheet are truly bogus. Other than the color being wrong as described, the fluid has a very pungent odor due to the high level of additive, nearly as strong as hot hypoid gear oil, just not as sulfur-like.

bdcardinal:

I've have become VERY adept at deducing the actual vendors of all types of car parts branded something else. I probably should start a business because usually the vendor originated products are idential to the manufacturer product at much less!

I took a wild guess at this one. Of course I know German automotive products pretty well.

Pentosin = German
ZF/Lemforder/Boge = German

The European fluid I have not been able to find in the USA is actual BASF Glysatin antifreeze at a reasonable price.

I wonder if Ford Europe sources it's antifreeze from BASF?

How about the FoE Transmission Fluids? Who makes them?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back