Polaris Sportsman 500 HDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, i use JohnDeere 15W40 Plus 50 II in my 2005 sportsman 500 HO along with napa proselect oil filters. I just changed oil/filter the otherday in prep for my riding weekend with some friends. Probably put about 7 "wide open" hours on new oil. Got home and checked oil. It was considerably darker and it burned some oil too. About half on the dipstick. Im guessing its normal. It took quite a beating the other weknd.
Anybodyelse use hdeo in atv's?

I have used both Rotella Triple T (15W-40) and T6 (5W-40) in my Kawasaki Brute Force 750i with very good results (no oil burning or loss as you have experienced). The BFs are very hard on oil and run fairly hot and the Rotella stood up to the punishment.

I doubt you're hurting anything by running the 15W-40, but you really should be using a full synthetic. Polaris recommends a full synthetic 5W-50.

http://purepolarisoil.com/product_detail.asp?id=4

If you're going to run HDEO, at least make it a full synthetic like Rotella T6.

Mobil 1 0W-40 and Amsoil 0W-40 Powersports oil also seem to do well in these engines.

I currently have Mystik 0W-40 ATV oil in mine, but I will be going with Castrol 5W-50 this time around. I have a 2008 Scrambler 500 HO, same engine that's in your Sportsman.

I agree with KD0AXS, Polaris specs a 50w oil, I'd run a 50w oil. I run Schaeffer's 5w50 in my new 850XP with great results. See my first UOA in the Motorcycle section above, very stout oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back