Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Ultra01.jpg

Ultra02.jpg

Ultra03.jpg

As Quattro Pete figured, it ended up being the SM version
frown.gif

Boxes are dated July 25th, 2012 and September 4th, 2012.

Is the SM spec sheet still available so I can compare this to the new SN version that we can't seem to get yet?

PU SN

PU SM

IMO, Ultra SM does not have a significantly special base stock given the volatility. I think Ultra SN is one of the best oils on the planet however.

Originally Posted By: Donald
How does this compare with Rotella T6?

Lighter, higher VI (at least the SM does), SN is a group 3/4 base stock. SM is group 3. I would think similar add packs being more Boron in PU

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Once SN does arrive, you can always buy SN and return the SM oil, if it matters that much to you.

That'd be a royal PITA though..... Shipping was 60 bucks.

No, I mean go to your local store, buy the new oil (if the UPC code is the same) and then return the older oil.

You have a receipt with the code on it. The clerk isn't going to know if it's SM/SN or EIEIO.

No, I mean go to your local store, buy the new oil (if the UPC code is the same) and then return the older oil.

You have a receipt with the code on it. The clerk isn't going to know if it's SM/SN or EIEIO.

They don't sell it in Canada....
frown.gif
I'd have to special order it from the USA, like I did with this stuff.

I thought it was a "they don't sell it yet" sort of deal.

Now that Walmart stopped carrying it down your way, I doubt we'll ever have it stocked regularly up here
frown.gif

Just ordered a 6 pack of this stuff from Amazon. They're running a $6 "coupon" along with a Pennzoil $10 "mail in" (via internet, took me 3 minutes) rebate, which also apparently includes an extra $5 coupon for future use. Total price delivered here in MD is $32.57, or $5.43/quart, not including the $5 coupon. I also threw in a PureOne filter for $5.76.

With the parts chains all going to "oil change specials" with synthetic for $30-35, usually 5 quarts and a filter, this pricing from Amazon is pretty competitive and doesn't require me to go to the store, make repeat trips because they don't have the filters in stock, etc.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Just ordered a 6 pack of this stuff from Amazon. They're running a $6 "coupon" along with a Pennzoil $10 "mail in" (via internet, took me 3 minutes) rebate, which also apparently includes an extra $5 coupon for future use. Total price delivered here in MD is $32.57, or $5.43/quart, not including the $5 coupon. I also threw in a PureOne filter for $5.76.

With the parts chains all going to "oil change specials" with synthetic for $30-35, usually 5 quarts and a filter, this pricing from Amazon is pretty competitive and doesn't require me to go to the store, make repeat trips because they don't have the filters in stock, etc.

jeff

Let me know if you get the SM or SN version. I'm curious
smile.gif
What's the ETA for yours? Mine took about a week to get here.

Did you buy it FROM AMAZON? Or was it a distributor that sells ON Amazon?

Amazon customer service has always been great here in the states. Id contact them and tell them that your car requires API SN for warranty purposes and that the oil is not as described (you figured you were getting latest spec). They may well swap it or just send more.

White lie or worse perhaps, but IMO there is always a reasonable expectation to have new stock on product.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Did you buy it FROM AMAZON? Or was it a distributor that sells ON Amazon?

Amazon customer service has always been great here in the states. Id contact them and tell them that your car requires API SN for warranty purposes and that the oil is not as described (you figured you were getting latest spec). They may well swap it or just send more.

White lie or worse perhaps, but IMO there is always a reasonable expectation to have new stock on product.

Yes, it came directly from Amazon, not a 3rd party supplier. I'm wondering if the SN version is even available yet??

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
smile.gif

Amazon direct, not a 3rd party. They estimated delivery date is the 25th-28th, a week from now, but in my experience the free shipping is generally much faster. I'll be surprised if I don't have it by Friday. Will update when I receive it.

Curious which API version it will be but will have no problem if it's SM. This stuff is slated for my 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero, which predates SN and was originally spec'd for 5W-30 semi-syn (semi-disastrously it turns out) but I've always used full synthetics, usually in 5W-40. So SM will be fine.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
smile.gif

Amazon direct, not a 3rd party. They estimated delivery date is the 25th-28th, a week from now, but in my experience the free shipping is generally much faster. I'll be surprised if I don't have it by Friday. Will update when I receive it.

Curious which API version it will be but will have no problem if it's SM. This stuff is slated for my 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero, which predates SN and was originally spec'd for 5W-30 semi-syn (semi-disastrously it turns out) but I've always used full synthetics, usually in 5W-40. So SM will be fine.

jeff

SM will be fine for my app too (the car is a 2001) as it meets the spec I require: LL-01. But I was looking forward to the ultra-low NOACK on the SN version.

I've sent an inquiry to Pennzoil with respect to the availability of the SN version. I will update the thread when I hear back.

I thought it was a "they don't sell it yet" sort of deal.

PU 5w-40 has never been available at retail level (major auto part stores), not even in the US. The only way to get it is mail order. Another way would be through a local SOPUS distributor, but unless you buy in huge quantities, their pricing isn't all that competitive. It's cheaper to just get it from Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back