05 Honda accord morning noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's likely just valvetrain noise. I would have the valve clearance checked and adjusted if needed. It's around $400.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
It''s not the plugs. Unlikely an injector.
Most likely the valvetrain - clearance or tensioner.

I had a plug come completely loose on this engine that sounded identical to a collapsed lifter (even though these cars do not have them) or very loose valve clearance. Dont completely rule plugs out.

Most likely it is excessive valve clearance. Post video if you can.

Last edited:
here is an update from my mechanic, who has always been pretty good. He said it is not piston slap. It is likely a fuel injector or valve, but suggested not to mess with it. He suggested a heavier oil than 5w20 I have been using,

WHat do you think of this advice? Still makes the morning sound. Is it worth it taking it to Honda and have them adjust the valves?

If your mechanic has been good to you I see no reason to disregard his advice. Trying a different oil is inexpensive and will certainly not hurt anything.

OTOH, pay attention to the sound from now on...if it starts to get worse, have the valve-train checked.

why not get a cheap auto stethoscope or very long screwdriver (both can be had for under $10) and actually listen and figure how *exactly* where the noise is coming from? was that already tried? how about disconnecting drive belt for a minute and see if the noise goes away? I don't know if the access to the fuel injector connectors is easy but if it is, you can try disconnecting one at a time to see if the noise stops.

I mean, there should be a way to figure out the origin of the noise before you start fixing it.

Next time it does this, look for item # 11 in the following LINK. See if you can locate that in your engine bay and put your finger on it. See if you feel/hear the valve inside. My car's purge solenoid is extremely loud and on cold starts sounds very similar to valve clatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back