Mazda 6 GH (2nd gen) MZR 1.8 oil suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody,
It is my first post on BITOG. I hope I'll stay here longer
wink.gif

What I am going to ask are some oil suggestions for my gasoline Mazda 6 GH (2nd gen) MZR 1.8. This engine is similar but smaller version of 2.5 available in the USA.
I live in Poland where temperatures looks like on the chart where blue line are minimal and the red means max. temp in Celsius.
800px-Wykres_temp_Myszk%C3%B3w.png

Mazda Europe recommends 5w20/5w30/10w40 SL; A3/A5

But I also found interesting recommendatios in original japaneese manual

beztytuuenq.jpg

At the moment I run my engine on Millers Oil XF Longlife 5w30 A5, C2.

My engine has 34k km. I use car 30% in the city and 70% on the high way. Usually I make 17km from start to stop.

I change the oil once a year as recommended instructions, because I don't do high annual mileages. I can buy with no problem every Amsoil product, so to be honest I look for something from Signature Series, but I am not sure which grade would be the best here. I would like to find the best solution for my car. Keep thumbs you will help me
wink.gif

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums! My fiancee has the 1st gen Mazda 6 with the 2.3 L 4-cylinder engine. I run 0W20 in it all year round, but that is because she generally drives mostly in the city. This engine seems to do very well on the 0W20. I'm not sure how similar it is to your 1.8 L.

If you'd like an Amsoil recommendation, I'd use either the Signature 0W20 or the Signature 0W30 (whichever you feel best fits your situation). I'm not sure how hard you drive or how fast you travel on the highways over there. Either of these would be suitable for year round use in your climate.

Obviously, the brand doesn't matter as much as the grade you choose as long as you select a high quality oil, but if you like Amsoil, they make excellent products.

il_signore97, thank you for your answer. I like from time to time reach high rpm, so I would like the oil to give me protection in this situation. Usually when I travel on high way I keep 100-140 km/h, but sometimes I reach 160-180 km/h. Once or twice a year I travel minimum 160 km/h even up to 200 km/h for longer period of kilometers when I am on German high ways where is no speed limit.

In Europe the most popular oils for gasoline engines are 5w30 and nobody cares specially about the grade what is to me a mistake. There isn't a lot of 0w20 or 5w20 made by European brands. Thats why I write about Amsoil
wink.gif
I didn't think about 0w30, because it wasn't mentioned in manual. Do you think it would be a good solution? I will change the oil in May, so I have some time to make a good choice.

Everyone in Europe uses 5W/30 in this engine. The CAFE regs in the US push 0w/20 and 5W/20 oils for slightly better fuel consuption.

As you say it is difficult to obtain xW/20 oil in Europe.

None of these oils wil damage your engine

Yes of course there are Castrol, Mobil, Valvoline, Shell, Liqui Moly, Elf, Total etc., but you must know that for example Castrol doesn't have so good opinions in Poland as I can see here. Probably the range offered in my country is weaker and the quality is lower. At the moment the most popular products beetwen people who care about engine are Amsoil and Millers Oil.

Then here's what I'd look for if available:

Castrol 0w-30 (this is the European formula synthetic made in Germany)
Mobil 1
Shell Helix Ultra

While Amsoil has a following, a lot of people in the US choose Mobil's Mobil 1 simply because it is an excellent oil that's readily available. If the Shell Helix Ultra is anything like the US Pennzoil Ultra then it should be an excellent oil as well. You should have no issues with a 5w-30 or a 0w-30 if a 20 weight is not available.

I have no experience with the other stuff so I can't comment.

Not sure why people here are trying to talk you out of Amsoil. If you have it readily available, use it. No one can say anything bad about Amsoil, just that you should choose a different oil for vague and unlisted personal reasons.

Frankly for your climate the 0W-30 would be good, or for that 1 year service it would be about perfect.

asiancivicmaniac, thank you for your replay. I checked on the Castrol site and there is available Edge 0w30 with following specs SAE 0W-30, ACEA C2, C3, API SM/CF, BMW Longlife-04, MB-Approval 229.31/ 229.51.

There is also Mobil 1 0w30 Fuel Economy ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5 API SL and Statoil Lazerway V 0w30 (http://www.statoillubricants.com/mar/lu/svg03611.nsf/design/pdf/$file/LazerWay_V_0W_30_PDS_EN.pdf http://www.statoillubricants.com/mne/svg02326.nsf/SearchViewNAMEUK/00002333.htm) which has very good opinions and more than 60% PAO.

There will be no problem in buying Mobil, Amsoil or some oder brand, but I mainly would like to know the grade which will best fit climate in Poland (as you see min. near -20'C and max. near 35'C) and my driving conditions. Protection is for me very important, but the fuel economy also isn't something what I forget.

Pablo, I can have every Amsoil from Signature Series, I just wonder about the best grade. If you say that 0w30 will be better solution than currently used 5w30 I will probably stick to it.

Last edited:
Ok guys, you convinced me. I will buy Amsoil SS 0w30
wink.gif
I have only two more questions because I'm curious:
1) can I expect more fuel economy on this 0w30 comparing to 5w30 whcich I use at the moment?
2) my lube capacity is 4,3L. Can I buy 4 quarts (about 3,8L) Amsoil and fill the rest 0,5L with Millers 5w30 (http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive/tds-automotive.asp?prodsegmentID=48&sector=Car)? I have some 0,7L rest from my last oil change and I could use it, but if it is a bad idea I will buy 5 quarts Amsoil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Not sure why people here are trying to talk you out of Amsoil.

Agreed. And given what's listed as acceptable in the manual, I can see no issues whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
AMSOIL's 0w-30 is an excellent lubricant, and would be my choice for their line as well.
thumbsup2.gif

I agree. And considering his yearly mileage the SSO could easily go a year in service.
OP. if you can get Amsoil its a great product and will do fine in your engine.

Thanks
wink.gif
As I said I decided and I will buy SSO 0w30. I have only two questions just because I'm curious:
Originally Posted By: Tomek

1) can I expect more fuel economy on this 0w30 comparing to 5w30 whcich I use at the moment?
2) my lube capacity is 4,3L. Can I buy 4 quarts (about 3,8L) Amsoil and fill the rest 0,5L with Millers 5w30 (http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive/tds-automotive.asp?prodsegmentID=48&sector=Car)? I have some 0,7L rest from my last oil change and I could use it, but if it is a bad idea I will buy 5 quarts Amsoil.

I didn't read that as "do I need to mix," rather "can I mix" half a liter in an effort to use up some extra oil laying around the garage.

While I don't have experience with either oil, I can't think of anything wrong with it off the top of my head. I support the idea to use up what you already own.

Originally Posted By: Fission
I didn't read that as "do I need to mix," rather "can I mix" half a liter in an effort to use up some extra oil laying around the garage.

Yes, exactly. I asked if it is possible to mix it with no problems, because my engine capacity is 4,3L and I could fill it with 4 qts (3,8L) of Amsoil and 0,5L of Millers. I have 0,7L of this Millers (5w30, A5/B5, C2, SN) laying in the garage and I could use it. I would have then the rest of 0,2L for eventually top up, but normally I add max. 100ml once a year.

I hope my English is enough good
wink.gif

Ok I understand
wink.gif
I ask also because in Poland Amsoil 0w30 cost abou $15.30

One more question: can I expect more fuel efficiency on 0w30 comparing to 5w30?

Originally Posted By: Tomek
Ok I understand
wink.gif
I ask also because in Poland Amsoil 0w30 cost abou $15.30

One more question: can I expect more fuel efficiency on 0w30 comparing to 5w30?

Hi Tomek,

Fuel efficiency depends on the behaviour of the specific 2 oils in question. For example, using the Amsoil Signature Series and comparing their 0W30 to their 5W30, you would notice very little difference at all normal temperatures (other than extreme cold temps such as -20C, where the 0W30 would then be slightly better).

Another thing to keep in mind is that Amsoil Signature Series 5W30 is NOT a typical EURO style 5W30 in that the HTHS of the oil is less than 3.5 cP, (not an ACEA A3 oil).

In comparing either Amsoil 0W30 or 5W30 to a true ACEA A3 rated 5W30 Euro oil, then yes, you can expect better fuel economy with either of those.

Just as a side note, Amsoil also offers a European line of oils targeted to owners of VW's, Benz's, BMW's, and Porsche's (5W30, and 2 5W40's) but the Amsoil Euro 5W30 is a low-SAPS oil and likely not necessary for your application. Amsoil's Euro 5W30 would be a lot thicker (operationally) than their Signature Series 5W30 or 0W30 due to much higher HTHS of 3.7 cP I believe.

I hope this clarifies things a bit. It's hard to generalize when talking about oil!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back