All season or leave on M&S - Jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am up in the air about getting some all season tires for the warm weather or just leave on my Cooper Discovery M&S year round. I'd like to get some rims in better shape than mine and some all season. No offroading for my Jeep nor towing. Worst travel is my dirt drive and then a dirt road.

The Cooper M&S worked great in the winter but I think are a bit noisy and I have the feeling the Jeep wanders a bit in the lane because of them. But that could be other worn suspension parts.

I prefer an all season tire if you are not doing a lot of off road adventures. if you can find one that provides good traction in the snow and ice. not a fan of the aggressive tire noise on the highway plus they seem to wear too quick for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Given where I live, I will need a M&S for the winter. Thats a given.

Well if that is the case then you need to find a cheap set of rims and a second set of tires. if you have the room to store them that would make sense to me.

I put a set of Conti Extreme Winter Contacts on the Cherokee, combined with a cheap set of OEM junkyard steelies (after my son complained of sliding on ice with the Geolandars that were on it at the beginning of winter), did pretty well-but I wouldn't take them offroad in mud.

Most BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO sizes and all Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT sizes have the snowflake/mountain Severe Snow Service rating. I run the Dunlops on my 1999 TJ year round.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Most BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO sizes and all Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT sizes have the snowflake/mountain Severe Snow Service rating. I run the Dunlops on my 1999 TJ year round.

+1

If you live where it snows and want a tire to run year round, All-Terrain tires are the way to go. Otherwise, run your all season tires in the summer and get a set of winter tires for the winter.

I've had the BFG ATs before and they work well. I'm currently running Nitto Terra Grapplers, they don't have the snowflake symbol but they are great in the snow. The Jeep has the factory all season Goodyears on it and they definitely leave a lot to be desired in the snow. It will be getting ATs when those are worn out.

(I find it a bit ironic that they market the Jeep Wrangler as a rugged off-road vehicle, but put junky all season tires on it.)

Take alook at the Goodyear DuraTrac:

gy_wranglerdt_owl_ci2_l.jpg

It also has the Snowflake.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Cooper M+S are all seasons? I always thought they were a snow tire.

They are M&S, not all-season. I need M&S in the winter, but could run the M&S year round or get true all season for the warm weather.

Its my understanding that a M&S tire like the Cooper Discover M&S have rugged tread but not a true winter rubber compound so that can be run in the summer.

if you need winter tires dont burn off the best part of their treadlife by melting them in the summer at 2x the wear of winter monthes.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Cooper M+S are all seasons? I always thought they were a snow tire.

They are M&S, not all-season. I need M&S in the winter, but could run the M&S year round or get true all season for the warm weather.

Its my understanding that a M&S tire like the Cooper Discover M&S have rugged tread but not a true winter rubber compound so that can be run in the summer.

I should have looked up the info on those tires earlier, I was thinking they were an all season tire. Here's what it says on Cooper's website:

Originally Posted By: Cooper
The Discoverer M+S is Cooper’s premium studdable winter SUV/light truck tire designed for drivers looking for excellent traction on snow and ice. The Discoverer M+S line fits a wide range of SUVs and light trucks, foreign and domestic.

Sounds like they are pretty much just a winter tire, so I'd probably avoid running them in the summer unless you don't put on very many miles. I'd guess they would probably wear out pretty quickly.

I can pass along what my Best Man recommended.
He lives in Syracuse and works at SUNY Upstate Childrens' Hospital. He told me recently the maintenance dept. outfitted their snow plow pickups w/ Nokian Rotiiva AT's (Click). He said that w/ more than 100 inches of snowfall annually in his area he too put a set of Nokian Rotiiva AT's on and he'll never go back to his All-Seasons for his Lexus LX570. I tried convincing him about dedicated winter tires years ago but he said he does fine w/ All-seasons and 4WD. I told him he better be carrying around a good umbrella policy and he just laughed.

I am up in the air about getting some all season tires for the warm weather or just leave on my Cooper Discovery M&S year round. I'd like to get some rims in better shape than mine and some all season. No offroading for my Jeep nor towing. Worst travel is my dirt drive and then a dirt road.

The Cooper M&S worked great in the winter but I think are a bit noisy and I have the feeling the Jeep wanders a bit in the lane because of them. But that could be other worn suspension parts.

Ditch the aggressive snow tires and just get some good all season tires for year round use. All you need with no off road use. I live in NH and see the same winter weather you do and run AS tires year round with no need for more. I just make sure I get a good tire that handles snow well. Here is a list of 4 that will do you right...

Firestone Destination LE2
Michelin LTX M+S2
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzaq
General Grabber HTS

If you like/want to stay with Coopers look at their Discoverer CTS, Discoverer H/T, or Doscoverer H/T Plus. Youc an also check out Mastercraft tires which are made by Cooper and have very simialr offerings for less $$$ as a rule. Look at the Courser HTR, Courser HTR Plus, or the Courser HSX TOUR

Last edited:
just keep an eye on craigslist for someone selling stock wheels and tires. You can usually get them with more than 50% tread pretty cheap.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Ditch the aggressive snow tires and just get some good all season tires for year round use. All you need with no off road use. I live in NH and see the same winter weather you do and run AS tires year round with no need for more. I just make sure I get a good tire that handles snow well. Here is a list of 4 that will do you right...

Michelin LTX M+S2
General Grabber HTS

If you like/want to stay with Coopers look at their Discoverer CTS, Discoverer H/T, or Doscoverer H/T Plus. Youc an also check out Mastercraft tires which are made by Cooper and have very simialr offerings for less $$$ as a rule. Look at the Courser HTR, Courser HTR Plus, or the Courser HSX TOUR

EDIT - that should be Alenza not Alenzaq. Sorry. Missed the typo.

Last edited:
Unless you need to deal with soupy mud, plenty of A/S or AT to consider.

Heavy siping is your winter friend, big lugs don't do much for snow but they are Needed in mud.

shameless plug for destination LE2. With a 4x4 jeep you don't Need a fancy tire--- a 4x4 in all-seasons beats a 2wd in fancy rubber. Dueler HL is also a nice A/S tire.

I really enjoyed the revo2 on my old 2wd jeep.... was great on hwy and off, with minimal noise, BUT there was a solid mpg hit with them, echo'ed across the 'net.

if the looks are important and you want a bit of help in your driveway, revo2. If you want an impressive all-season at low cost, destination LE2.

Someone always has to mention the michelin LTX---- they get expensive quick.

IDK if the GY tripletread comes in your size, but GY has a rebate going on right now and for passenger tires it out-ranks the michelins, and everything else on tire rack. I have never been impressed by GY but just pulled the trigger for our minivan-- which spins like a top pulling out in the rain.

There may be a bit of misunderstanding here. M&S (or M+S, or M/S) stands for Mud and Snow, but there is no performance requirement attached to this label. The only requirement is a mathematical tread-to-void ratio. Except for summer tires or dedicated sport tires, nearly every tire sold today carries the M&S label. Most people considered the M&S label to indicate an "all season" tire.

If you are looking for a "winter" tire or a "snow" tire, then you are best served by looking for the RMA's mountain-and-snowflake symbol, which DOES have a performance requirement behind it, so you do have some assurance that you're getting a tire that will perform well in the snow.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Michelin LTX M+S2
General Grabber HTS

I do not think the normal all season tires work well in the snow even with 4WD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back