22 Magnum Velocity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have an idea of velocity and muzzle energy of a 22 Magnum from an 18 Inch
Barrel? I just saw a Savage semi-auto and it looked like a neat gun. Thanks

My 40 grain CCI's say 1875 fps on the box. I don't know what length of barrel they are tested out of though.

That's an interesting cartridge for a rimfire. You'll laugh when you see one, (world's BIGGEST .22) but it works.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
That's an interesting cartridge for a rimfire. You'll laugh when you see one, (world's BIGGEST .22) but it works.

.223 Rem is a "bigger .22" ... they work too.
smile.gif

.22-250 & 220 Swift is even bigger or, for the exotic, the .22 CHeetah (spelled that way intentionally).

BTW, a .22LR is .222" - .223" diameter, and the others (including .22WMR) are .224" diameter....merely bringing up the differences in diameter

and the swift is .228

Funny how velocity affects wind drift in the .22 (rimfire) range of cartridges....22 standard has less drift than the HVs

Aerodynamics of the bullet body itself. I suspect that the higher spin rate required to stabilize the longer high velocity bullets makes for more wind effect...

I load .224" 50 grain BTHP's in MY .220 Swift in front of (IIRC) 42 grains of 4895 for around 3750fps. It's been a good while though since it's even seen daylight outside of the safe. It'll go a whole lot faster with 40 or less grain projectiles but she's mainly a safe queen nowadays.

As usual, I've gone off topic so consider me shutted upped. I have to go open the safe now anyways!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Aerodynamics of the bullet body itself. I suspect that the higher spin rate required to stabilize the longer high velocity bullets makes for more wind effect...

Nope, it's the fact that wind drift is not proportional to time of flight, but how much "delay" exists between the time of flight in air, and the time of flight in a (frictionless) vacuum.

With ammunition just below and above the speed of sound, the supers lose speed faster, and are more "delayed", in spite of a better time of flight.

It's pretty interesting.

Quote:
Those unfamiliar with smallbore rifle competition are often surprised to learn that target shooters almost universally use standard velocity ammunition in preference to the many varieties of high and hyper-velocity rounds available. The reason given is the low-velocity ammunitions resistance to wind deflection.
Despite what might seem at first to be the case, wind deflection is not proportional to the time of flight. Instead, it is proportional to the amount of delay in the flight caused by air resistance. The 1145 f.p.s. standard velocity .22 long rifle round takes .287 seconds to go 100 yds., but would take only .262 seconds to cover the same distance in a vacuum. The latter figure is easily found by dividing 300 ft. by the speed of the bullet (1145 f.p.s.), which would remain the same throughout its flight if it were in a vacuum. Thus the delay caused by air resistance is .025 second with the standard velocity ammunition.
The 1335 f.p.s. high velocity ammunition, which will take .259 second to cover 100 yds., would take only .225 second in a vacuum. Thus, the delay for this bullet is .035 second or 37% greater than that of the standard velocity round .22. The high speed round, then, suffers about 37% more wind deflection than the standard velocity.
This remarkable result is due to the very rapid rate at which air resistance increases with increase in bullet speed in the region near the speed of sound. The .22 rimfires are the only important rifle cartridges that occupy this speed range, and they are the only ones that show more wind deflection as velocity is increased.

While air resistance always increases when the bullet is shot faster, the rate of this increase is less steep at supersonic velocities. Rifle bullets in general, contrary to the case of rimfires, are made less sensitive to the wind by raising their velocities.

NRA Firearms Fact Book

Boy, that's counterintuitive...but while the effect is described, and the proportionality derived, it is still not explained.

Wind effect is created by the interaction of the body and the medium. This describes the effect, not the interaction....

Last edited:
Consider a shooter traversing a range Left to Right, and shooting at a stationary target, pulling the trigger at the exact moment that the target is in the cross hairs. The bullet has a velocity that is the vector addition of it’s longitudinal and transverse velocities, and slows down along that line, losing horizontal and longitudinal velocities equally. It’s path will still follow the same line as it would have in a vacuum, and the Point of Impact will be to the right, proportional to it’s time of flight in a vacuum, T

Consider a target, traversing the range Left to right, and the stationary shooter pulling the trigger under the same circumstances as above. The bullet is moving purely longitudinally, and is slowing down in that plane, while the target moves on. The bullet hits the target to the left of centre, a distance proportional to the total time of flight (T + delta T).

Consider both the shooter and the target traversing the range, which is the addition of both these, so it’s proportional to +T-T-deltaT, i.e Delta T only.

Now invert the experiment, and have stationary shooter, stationary target, and a wind blowing across the void between them, and that’s how drift is proportional to the delay, not the time of flight.

I created an excell ballistics model for rimfires ages ago...will try to get some figures for how fast you have to throw a supersonic object to get the same drift as a subsonic...it's surprisingly high.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

.223 Rem is a "bigger .22" ... they work too.
smile.gif

I think he was referring to how the magnum looks just like an extended version of any other common 22 rimfire. Short, long, long rifle, magnum. Not that it is actually the most powerful 22 caliber round. At least that's how I took it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back