9X18 Makarov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody is buying everthing. I can't even find .32 s+w long. What has been sold out is not on a production run. Most companies are running lines hard for .223 9mm .45. Odd calibers will probably be a while before being run.

How many surplus Mak chambered pistols were sold in the past decade? Lots of them out there so it makes sense that the owners of those guns are stocking up too.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I can understand shortages of some ammo but can't understand why the shortage 9X18 Makarov ammo?

Lots of Makarovs out there and I just bought one!

Well I also already have two CZ-82 in 9X18 and I was out of ammo. I did buy 250 rounds of Fiocchi 9x18 and have 250 rounds of RWS 9x18 arriving Monday.

I still think some 9x19 (9mm,Luger, Parabellum) users are accidentally buying 9x18. I saw a guy at the show pick it and the retailer asked: "Do you have a Mak?" The buyer was wrong!

I can understand shortages of some ammo but can't understand why the shortage 9X18 Makarov ammo?

Much of this ammo is imported. With the potential of a UN Small Arms Trade Treaty being passed (this month!) and ratified, people SHOULD be stocking up on these calibers.

If this Treaty is ratified, it will likely stop the importing of firearms and ammo. At the very least, it will drive up prices SIGNIFICANTLY.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Lots of Makarovs out there and I just bought one!

Well I also already have two CZ-82 in 9X18 and I was out of ammo. I did buy 250 rounds of Fiocchi 9x18 and have 250 rounds of RWS 9x18 arriving Monday.

I still think some 9x19 (9mm,Luger, Parabellum) users are accidentally buying 9x18. I saw a guy at the show pick it and the retailer asked: "Do you have a Mak?" The buyer was wrong!

I agree. Many people are scrambling to get whatever they can, and when they see 9xwhatever, they buy it.

Just watched a couple of interesting YouTube videos where you can make 9X18 Makarov ammo by re-sizing 9X19 ammo and trimming the cases.

Seems that the head of the 9X18 and 9X19 are the same size. The 9X19 is a bit longer and tapered where as the 9X18 is not.

Between that and hard cast bullets looks like a good idea.

Quote:
Just watched a couple of interesting YouTube videos where you can make 9X18 Makarov ammo by re-sizing 9X19 ammo and trimming the cases.

Seems like a lot of work??

Not really much more difficult than loading 9X19 Luger ammo. Really only additional step is trimming the cases.

If you are not into casting your own bullets you can buy hard cast ones over the Internet or use FMJ or Hollow Points. 9X18 is larger in diameter than the 9X19 Luger bullets.

With casting you can cut your price down to around 7 cents a a round providing you have a supply of brass. If you have a supply of primers and powder that you have had before all the price increases price per round will be even lower.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:

When ya cannot buy it anywhere, it helps to be able to make it. LOL

And some people have the time, but not the money. For volume shooters it would be a lot of work, but I know fellas that just LOVE reloading.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:

When ya cannot buy it anywhere, it helps to be able to make it. LOL

And some people have the time, but not the money. For volume shooters it would be a lot of work, but I know fellas that just LOVE reloading.

If you have reloadable 9X18 brass or trimmed 9X19 brass to 9X18 length reloading 300+ rounds an hour with a progressive press is possible depending on the progressive press and your speed.

Same speed as reloading 9X19 Luger on a progressive press.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
Real nice price, thanks Pablo

No problem at all. I finally feel I have a small supply for my Mak and CZ-82's with over 1000 rounds. I hardly shoot my .380ACP anymore, but do like it in my Sig P238. Now there's an idea - make a mini 1911-like gun in 9x18!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back