Oil rec. for 2001 Passat 1.8T with worn bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soliciting oil recommendations for a 2001 Passat 1.8 turbo that triggers the low oil pressure warning at hot idle. Ideally this oil would be able to bump up the hot idle oil pressure (in comparison to the OEM spec 30-40 weight synthetics) which is going to increase in the near future with the weather heating up? The car is run in moderate temp northern Cali and sees mostly in-town short trip driving with occasional long highway jaunts.

I'm considering 1) 15w40 HDEO, 2) 10w40 Redline, 3) Mobil1 15w50, 4) Z blend with some Lucas oil stabilizer

^^^Exactly. Never trust a factory gauge until you check it with a real mechanical one. Pressure sensors do weird things as they fail.

Are you consuming oil? In addition to checking you oil pressure gauge, I'd check your PCV valve, vacuum hoses, and oil filler cap. I'd also use OEM filters if you're not doing so. For oil, use 502.00 VW spec with at least 3.5 HTHS. T6 5W-40 comes to mind.

Pressures verified with mechanical gauge. Follows pretty closely to 1bar per 1,000 rpm (i.e. 0.8bar at 800rpm idle, 2bar at 2,000 rpm...etc). I think the light is spec'ed to trigger if pressure is not at least 20psi (little under 1.5 bar) at 1500rpm and at hot idle it gets pretty close to that.

PCV is all new, everything is ship-shape (engine was rebuilt) save the bearing wear. Brand new oil pump and pickup screen as well. Not consuming or leaking any oil (but don't even have 1000 miles on it yet since the rebuild).

Originally Posted By: Ranchu
Have you thought about stepping up to a 50w?

Did you read the first post?

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Any reason the bearings weren't replaced when the engine was rebuilt?

No reason other than money and time. I had a trusted shop pull the oil pan and install the oil pump and pickup tube - this is a difficult job on a B5 Passat and I didn't have the tools. They pulled a couple of the bearing caps and said the bearings look fine. I'm guessing "fine" meant normal for mileage. One of the cam journals in the head is pretty bad and the head was rebuilt despite this, since the machine shop guy assured me it would work.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/68-b5-...ad-rebuild.html

See post #10 for before pic, and #16 for after pic of the bad cam journal bearing.

I mostly did all this just to teach myself how to pull a head off an engine and rebuild it. It was totally worth it because now I have a much better understanding of engine mechanicals. I only really need this engine to get me another 10-25k miles or 1-2 years and thus I want oil recommendations that will provide some 'bandaid' protection to limp this thing along until I can find a replacement engine.

Originally Posted By: gregoron
I'd also use OEM filters if you're not doing so.

There might be an advantage to supersizing the oil filter. A larger oil capacity of 5 quarts should keep the oil running a little cooler. The Big Kahuna size includes Purolator L40316, Wix 51333 / Napa Gold 1333, Mann W950/4.

What oil filter are you using? If a good one then try 20W-50 dino for a 3k OCI and see if you still have the same problem.

Originally Posted By: TurboJim
Originally Posted By: gregoron
I'd also use OEM filters if you're not doing so.

There might be an advantage to supersizing the oil filter. A larger oil capacity of 5 quarts should keep the oil running a little cooler. The Big Kahuna size includes Purolator L40316, Wix 51333 / Napa Gold 1333, Mann W950/4.

Mahle OC51 right now, Mann W950/4 on deck. Didn't think of the effect of oil filter on oil temp, good idea.

I'd use a conventional hdeo such as rotella 15w-40. Less viscosity spread means it should retain grade better and the extra thickness at start up means more oil on the bearings.
Forget Lucas. It's just an oil thickener with no additives,so it thickens the oil but dilutes the additive package of the oil,weakening it.
Lots of good advice here. Going a grade thicker is also an option and your in Cali so sub zero temps aren't an issue.
Update us once you decide and if it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back