Leaking floor jack repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 20yo reliable 2 1/2 ton jack has sprung a leak. The leak is coming from the part that is depressed jacking up the car (piston pump?). No leak at the large piston itself. Is this repair doable without a complete teardown of the hydraulic piston? Looks like the piston pump pulls right out.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Contact the pump company and see if a seal is avaiable.

+1. Or remove the seal and contact mcmaster or similar industrial supply for an o-ring of the same dimensions

No receipt. Bought it 20 years ago, back in the days of heavy steel. I want to try a repair if possible. Its orange, don't remember what make. Already tried the Bar's seal swelling oil. No luck. Hate to toss it over a 50 cent o-ring.

Jack1_zpsfa1a04e2.jpg

Thanks for that site. I think if the handle is removed, the pump piston i circled just pulls out. Doesn't appear to be anything bolting it in. The jack doesn't come down, just loses fluid. Its promising if I can get that pump pin out.

It appears to only leak as I'm jacking from the area circled. Jack doesn't lose height so it appears the main piston is ok. Handle is off, now I guess I'm going to tug the pump piston out and have a look at the seals somehow.

It looks to me like an old Harbor Freight steel jack.
I can't remember if it was also called US General or another name.
A couple of years ago I gave mine a bath and put a "free" sign on it; it was gone in a half hour. I bought a scratch-and-dent Torin to replace it.

It looks to me like an old Harbor Freight steel jack.
I can't remember if it was also called US General or another name. I looked around and couldn't find the old manual/parts list.

A couple of years ago I gave mine a bath and put a "free" sign on it; it was gone in a half hour. I bought a scratch-and-dent Torin to replace it.

I purchased a lincoln floor jack back in about 1988. It started to leak in about 2004. I changed out the jack out and it is still going strong without any further dripping.

I now change out the oil in all my floor jacks about every 3-5 years.

Last edited:
how do you fix a jack? a used jack i bought is leaking oil and a bolt is in a wrong place, any place in southeast michigan that can repair jacks? where can i go (who can i take it to, to fix the jack)? i bought a new one (pro lift) on sale at meijer which works well now (old jack works but won't lift very high due to that bolt being misplaced/interfering with its ability to raise the car, i bought it used and this was like it since i bought it)

There was a thread here a couple years ago about fixing and maintaining old tired floor jacks. It had a link to a youtube guy who would take them apart, clean em up and replace O-rings, and add fresh oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back