2013 Altima vs Accord vs Others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: Tboss
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Tough call. They are my 2 favorite cars in the class.
I think if I wanted an automatic car I would go Nissan, and if I wanted a manual trans I would go Accord.
The Camry is so far out of the running it would never even be considered. It is a weak car.
may I ask in what way it's a weak car ????

Go see them for yourself.
Reviews for it are mixed, while reviews for most of the other cars are generally good, especially the Accord. It's not a secret, I hate modern Toyota cars, they used to build nice cars, now everything is bargain basement interior wise at least.
I was just Wondering Because I owned one And it seems like a pretty good car To me!!!

V6 Accord is out
smirk.gif

$2685/yr to insure...

Tomorrow I've got the following lined up:

Camry XLE
Fusion
Sonata
Mazda 6
ILX
Malibu

We will see... I really like the I4 accord, just that darn CVT is going to keep me from buying it.

Originally Posted By: smc733
that darn CVT is going to keep me from buying it.

Why? No disrespect meant to anyone here, but because of a bunch of "internet experts"? Go drive them all (including the Nissan as well) and buy what you like. You have a warranty; don't let fear of the unknown keep you from what might be "the one" for you.

If I were in the market for a sedan, it'd be a new Sport trim with the 2.4L/CVT.

We will see... I really like the I4 accord, just that darn CVT is going to keep me from buying it.

The CVT in the Accord by most accounts shifts similarly to a traditional auto transmission and does not suffer from the "rubber band" effect that plagues many CVT's.

What specifically about the CVT do you dislike?

I went through the same process in 2012; my first choice was the Mazda and the Accord was a close second. However, the Mazda did not have enough head room for me (since I was looking for one with the sunroof). I like the Accord a lot, but I picked the Subaru as it was priced about the same, had a lot of the same tech goodies, has a huge back seat, the gas mileage was fairly comparable, plus it had AWD which is great in the northeast.

You are right to get the Navi in the Subaru is a lot of money…skip it and just use your smartphone or buy a portal GPS for $100. Either option is a lot cheaper and typically better than any built in Navi unit. Also, if you are not comfortable with the CVT you can still get a manual with the Subaru.

Originally Posted By: k24a4

The CVT in the Accord by most accounts shifts similarly to a traditional auto transmission and does not suffer from the "rubber band" effect that plagues many CVT's.

It's not that I don't like the CVT (it drove fine), I am very skeptical about the reliability, especially it being Honda's first year using one.

I test-drove a bunch of cars today, and here's what I found:

Mazda 6: Beautiful looking, nice inside, tons of features. HORRIBLE ride. Felt extremely sluggish, and didn't seem to handle or take bumps nearly as well as I was anticipating, very disappointed.

Sonata: Nice car as well, good looking, tons of amenities, very comfortable, and a fair bit of pickup. Unrefined ride, a lot of engine noise, and sloppy handling

Fusion: Very plain, this car just doesn't thrill me. Kind of slow throttle, and handles like a boat (feels large). Not a bad car, but just not what I'm looking for.

Camry SE/XLE: Liked both cars, XLE was a little numb but still way more stable than my Corolla on the highway, and the SE was nice and tight. The design language just doesn't quite get my heart racing, but it's a decent choice.

I didn't get a chance go get to a Chevy dealer to give the Malibu a try.

Overall, the cars I would buy are now:
Accord
Camry
Altima
Chrysler 200 (though reliability and gas milage will probably kill this one off).

I'm also thinking of giving the new Rav4 a test drive to see if that would be a suitable DD (it may be practical for me too).

Originally Posted By: Picky1
I went through the same process in 2012; my first choice was the Mazda and the Accord was a close second. However, the Mazda did not have enough head room for me (since I was looking for one with the sunroof). I like the Accord a lot, but I picked the Subaru as it was priced about the same, had a lot of the same tech goodies, has a huge back seat, the gas mileage was fairly comparable, plus it had AWD which is great in the northeast.

You are right to get the Navi in the Subaru is a lot of money…skip it and just use your smartphone or buy a portal GPS for $100. Either option is a lot cheaper and typically better than any built in Navi unit. Also, if you are not comfortable with the CVT you can still get a manual with the Subaru.

I definitely don't want a manual right now, but everyone tells me the Legacy is due for a revamp, so I don't want to be behind the curve. Aside from that, they're a very tempting vehicle.

Did you also drive the new Accord? I'm interested to hear your impressions of it compared with the others.

And the 6...it was a new model, right? The 2014?

Here is my personal experience with Nissan's CVT.

I ultimately make the car decisions for my parents.
When it came time for my mom to get a car 3 Years ago, I was dead set on finding a lightly used Accord.

Went to several dealers ,and eventually found one I was interested in. It ended up being sold when I got there.

There was this 07 2.5 Altima sitting in the corner. I said what the heck I Will drive it. The Altima was just an overall nicer driving car than comparable Accords ,and the 4 cylinder was over 1 sec faster to 60 than comparable 4 cylinder Accords.

For the price point the Altima then ,and still now in my opinion offers a lot for the money. Nice driving experience, Soft dash materials, nice lay out etc.

Bought the car with 50k on it.

It currently has 95k ,and has not had a single issue to date.
Still drives awesome. I have done 2 drain ,and fills on the CVT.

Another friend of mine has a 07 2.5 Altima. Hers has 101k ,and it drives great as well. Has never had her CVT fluid changed. I have been getting on to her about it ,but overall the car has been trouble free.

Another buddy of mine bought his mom a 07 Maxima. It currently has 140k without any CVT Hiccups. We did one CVT drain ,and fill on it at 100k.

These examples are not super high mileage but they all still feel good ,and with BITOG service methods, they should have no trouble being long lasting cars.

Now these are different than the brand new 13 Altimas ,but the 13 should only be better.

Probably can't go wrong with a Accord either, but the Altima is def worth a strong look.

OP, did you consider my suggestion for a Camry Hybrid?

The car does not use a true CVT.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Did you also drive the new Accord? I'm interested to hear your impressions of it compared with the others.

And the 6...it was a new model, right? The 2014?

I did drive the new Accord, the Sport, LX, and EX-L w/Navi models, all 4-cyl. I honestly couldn't even tell there was a CVT, it drove VERY nice, its just the maintenance issue holding me back (and it is the most expensive of all the cars I'm looking at).

The 6 was the new 2014 model (they had aggressive deals on the 2013, but I don't like being behind the curve). It was a very nice car, I was sadly disappointed with the drive.

@Anthony, thanks for the insight into the Nissan CVTs, perhaps I will give the Altima another pass, as it seems to be the best deal of all the cars I've looked at (my Corolla + $11,800 for a fully-loaded 2.5SV).

@The_critic, while that would be awesome, the upfront price with the features I want is just too much.

Dang you drove everything but the Malibu, even the Sonata and Fusion. If you liked the Camry's ride you should like the Malibu. And if the base model rides too soft for you, there's the sportier turbo model.

I'm kind of surprised the new Mazda6 ride and handling was disappointing. I have some longterm experience driving at the time as new '09 Accord, '08 Altima and '10 Mazda6 all 4cylinder models. The Mazda had the best ride and handling, the Altima next and the Accord last. Maybe the latest generations'13-14 are different?

Last edited:

@Anthony, thanks for the insight into the Nissan CVTs, perhaps I will give the Altima another pass, as it seems to be the best deal of all the cars I've looked at (my Corolla + $11,800 for a fully-loaded 2.5SV).

@The_critic, while that would be awesome, the upfront price with the features I want is just too much.

Understood. For Nissans, my limited experience is that they tend to have more wear/tear repairs as they age compared to Hondas and Toyotas. Also, I see 10-15 year old Accords and Camrys every day....very rare for me to see an older Nissan on the road.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
smc733 said:
very rare for me to see an older Nissan on the road.

Very true, a thought that definitely worries me....

I am probably going to kick the Chrysler 200 to the curb for the gas mileage, leaving it to the Camry, Accord and Altima. I will go check out the Malibu too, to round out the choices.

Originally Posted By: k24a4

It's not that I don't like the CVT (it drove fine), I am very skeptical about the reliability, especially it being Honda's first year using one.

I test-drove a bunch of cars today, and here's what I found:

Mazda 6: Beautiful looking, nice inside, tons of features. HORRIBLE ride. Felt extremely sluggish, and didn't seem to handle or take bumps nearly as well as I was anticipating, very disappointed.

Sonata: Nice car as well, good looking, tons of amenities, very comfortable, and a fair bit of pickup. Unrefined ride, a lot of engine noise, and sloppy handling

Fusion: Very plain, this car just doesn't thrill me. Kind of slow throttle, and handles like a boat (feels large). Not a bad car, but just not what I'm looking for.

Camry SE/XLE: Liked both cars, XLE was a little numb but still way more stable than my Corolla on the highway, and the SE was nice and tight. The design language just doesn't quite get my heart racing, but it's a decent choice.

I didn't get a chance go get to a Chevy dealer to give the Malibu a try.

Overall, the cars I would buy are now:
Accord
Camry
Altima
Chrysler 200 (though reliability and gas milage will probably kill this one off).

I'm also thinking of giving the new Rav4 a test drive to see if that would be a suitable DD (it may be practical for me too).

I'd toss and 1 and 3-series BMW into the mix too. It sounds like their driving dynamics may be more what you are looking for.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

I'm kind of surprised the new Mazda6 ride and handling was disappointing. I have some longterm experience driving at the time as new '09 Accord, '08 Altima and '10 Mazda6 all 4cylinder models. The Mazda had the best ride and handling, the Altima next and the Accord last. Maybe the latest generations'13-14 are different?

All of the above are redesigned and not at all like predecessor except in nameplate. Except maybe Accord except fixes all it shortcomings.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: mechanicx

All of the above are redesigned and not at all like predecessor except in nameplate. Except maybe Accord except fixes all it shortcomings.

The thing is magazines rated the Accord ahead back then too and sometimes the Camry, but driving them I didn't think so then.

When it comes down to it, we all simply like different stuff. Most people and magazines rate the new 6 as tops, but the OP didn't like it. Just personal preference.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
When it comes down to it, we all simply like different stuff. Most people and magazines rate the new 6 as tops, but the OP didn't like it. Just personal preference.

Yup, like I said in another thread, the mags and reviews can praise the new 6 all they want, but this car won't even be on most people's radar. Also, many people, just like OP, simply do not like a firm ride that Mazda provides. BMW can get away with it to a degree because their badge carries much more weight, but even BMW is softening their best selling 3 series to chase more volume.
Let’s face it, majority of drivers hate firm ride, no matter how good or sophisticated it is. They want a nice cushy ride with not much road noise. That is why Camry is such a huge seller, followed by Hyundai since they copied Toyota's formula for success. Heck just look at VW. Their Jetta is hugely dumbed down, cheapened with simple and unsophisticated, but soft ride and just look how well it's selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back