Another question answered 9x19mm vs 45ACP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another site or so, people would write 45ACP is more popular than 9mm. I said, no - it might be close but more 9mm is sold. Unfortunately I didn't come across a data source. But how easy is it to get 9mm now? I can buy 45ACP online without breaking a sweat - OK I need to be a little patient to get it under $20/50. And can get it at $25, which is crazy, but I can at least find it.

9x19? Good luck with even finding it. $30 for FMJ? No. Thanks. 9mm is gone, gone, gone. Way faster and more is made than .45ACP

Which of course leaves the question: Where is all the 9X19 going? No one I know is getting it either. Are you guys buying tons of 9mm????

Aside from the DOD, DHS and other Gov't agencies purchasing it, 9mm is still popular with a lot of police departments...and it's become kind of a "standard" round among folks buying their first pistol...it's ubiquitous...

9mm is by far the most common center fire handgun cartridge. No hard data, but I worked at a large outdoor range, and the 9mm is by far the most popular. It's also the most popular with the leo and G-men type, so I'm sure they're getting a good bit of it.

As a side note some police depts., have had to defer or reduce training because of the expense and availability of some types of ammo.

Last edited:
The cool thing there are the great deals on 10mm and .357Sig!

I have 1000's of rounds of 10mm and I can buy more - saw $19.95 for 50 yesterday online. Same price for .357Sig at the Gun show last month. Same ammo pre-banic was $30 or more!

Well that zombie strategy DID work out in my favor.

I have lots of 9mm, but I have not been shooting it at all. Just my other calibers.

Oh another odd thing: No 9x18mm. When it comes out, it is sold in seconds. How many people are wrongly buying 9x18???

9mm ammo here at Academy Sports - Outdoors. Often can be found. They offer ball ammo (range ammo) for between $12 -$16.00 a box of 50 just depending in brand with brass cases.

Some can be found too at ****'s, Wal-Mart too here but in this area Academy has it more often.

They have had .45 ACP too often you just need to be at the store before the doors open and are limited to up to 3 boxes total. One of each .380, 9mm, .45 acp, etc.

They have had .22 ammo too often but it goes quick.

9mm is the "world's most popular and widely used military handgun cartridge". Whoever said .45 was is wrong.

Source: Barnes, Frank (2006). Skinner, Stan. ed. Cartridges of the World. 11th Edition.. Cartridges of the World. Gun Digest Books. p. 295. ISBN 978-0-89689-297-2.

Last edited:
Hi folks, I'm back. lol. The top reason I bought a 9mm was because it is the most common caliber. Heaven forbid, in war/martial law situations (whether foreign or domestic) chances are they will be carrying a nine if they are using a handgun and have to take them out. That means extra ammo for your weapon and more survival for you and yours.

I'm looking back now and seeing that it was a mistake; of course I wasn't expecting a school shooting and a major shortage of popular calibers. Should have bought a .38 like my old man said. There's plenty of that around!

But perhaps .40 is more popular these days with FBI and whatnot. I like my 9, and feel safe with it. Haven't gotten perfectly comfortable with it but I will in time. I scoop up ammo when I can (And that's rare). Recent scores? a 100 round canned heat from fiocchi (at $40, woof) and some blazer aluminum at $15/box. That's all I can find.

I can understand ammo shortage if the US manufactures are back-loged but what happened to all the import ammo ? only thing I've seen import wise is PMC...or is this a Michigan thing ?

World wide I wonder where the 380 fits in popularity, maybe higher than 45 ACP ?

Originally Posted By: FastGame
I've seen import wise is PMC...or is this a Michigan thing ?

I really, really like PMC ammo. I'll pick it over any brand on the shelf and my 2nd choice is Fiocchi. Both shoot clean and you can smell the clean gun powder when you fire them. PMC seems hotter and fires better out of my 9mm.

.380 is popular as a self defense round but not many people stock up .380. Most individuals who own a .380 posess a 50 round box or maybe 25 defense jhp rounds and they're gathering dust with the piece in the closet.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I can buy 45ACP online without breaking a sweat - OK I need to be a little patient to get it under $20/50. And can get it at $25, which is crazy, but I can at least find it.

Pablo,

Where can you find .45 ACP for that price? The closest I can find it, in stock, comes up to $.70 per round + shipping. I can't even find .22 Magnum or .30 Carbine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
Originally Posted By: Pablo
I can buy 45ACP online without breaking a sweat - OK I need to be a little patient to get it under $20/50. And can get it at $25, which is crazy, but I can at least find it.

Pablo,

Where can you find .45 ACP for that price? The closest I can find it, in stock, comes up to $.70 per round + shipping. I can't even find .22 Magnum or .30 Carbine.

Closer: http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=PM45A

Thanks for the link Pablo. I had forgotten about Natchez. I guess I've got to get a little more focused in my search for ammo. I was able to pick 100 rounds at Big5 the other day after standing in line before they opened. Between working full time, running a business, remodeling the kitchen, and preparing for a vacation, I just haven't had the time lately to do more than the casual search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back