6.0 Powerstroke Oil Reccomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a 2006 f250 with the 6.0 powerstroke and was just looking for some recomendations on motor oil. The truck has 240,000mile and I am currently running Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck with Archoil 9100 and a Motorcraft filter (plan on 5k OCI). Turuck is my wife's daily driver and will see occoasional weekend towing during the summer months (20ft enclosed trailer with dirt bikes and gear). Just want to make sure this is a good combination for this engine, on other forms people seem to be having sucess with Mobil 1 TDT in the 6.0 but I know this fourm tends to bring out more information on lubrication than any other.

I have run TDT in my '07 6.0L and it seemed to like it; didn't do a UOA tho. You will get grief from some on the use of synthetic and short OCI, but to each his own. I am currently running Amsoil HDD 5w30 in my PSD with nice results and shortish OCIs.

I would be more concerned with the head studs and EGR than oil choice. However, at 240k they have probably already been addressed.

I'm not a ford guy but i though i read someplace the 6.0 was hard on oil because of the type injector set up??. Anyway the oil should serve you well,I would start a UOA program and see how far the TDT can take you,5k seems like to short of run IMO.

Slightly off-topic from what you asked for, but I would go to the Ford dealer and get an OASIS report on this truck just to see what has been worked on in those miles. I would also only use the Motorcraft oil filter on this engine as some of the other brands have skipped some important filter features to avoid paying patent royalties.

A CJ-4 10W30 is the way to go on a 6.0, if you're only running 5K OCIs a dino 10W30 from one of the major producers such as Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac 1300, Chevron Delo 400, or even Valvoline would be good. I would avoid 15W40 in any kind of cold weather, too hard to pump thru the injection system. 5W40 or even 0W30 would be good in winter if you can't plug in the block heater or an oil pan heater.

I currently have an '07 6.0 and have had zero issues running 10w-30 for the last 80,000 mi.

The best advise I can give is to go to the HDEO UOA section here, you will be able to make an informed decision on results.

I concur with roadrunner1, and others.

The 6.0L problems are not based upon the lube; there are electrical and mechanical issues that are far more pressing.

In your area, you'll likely benefit from a thinner lube for easier cold starting. Any decent 10w-30 HDEO will do well. For your short OCI plan, a conventional oil will do just fine. There is plenty of UOA evidence to back this up with facts; look over the data.

10w30 Duron E is our most commonly used oil for the 6.0L year round. Never any complaints, a lot of these trucks pull a lot of weight as well. We use probably around 20 cases a month. Many of the owners swear by it.

We just put some Archoil 9100 in my fiance's 2003 superduty 6.0 and it seems to have worked. Truck seems to start easier and is not as noisy on startup.

Wayne

Isn't Mobil TDT simply re-bottled Delvac 1 5W-40...which is harder to find in actual Delvac 1 jugs?

I always used Rotello T6 in my 2005 6.0L for 80K miles. No issues and winter starts were always no problem. I tried DELO 400 LE 15W-40 in it once because there was a SUPER sale price on it at OReilly's. I went about 20 miles and turned around to go back home and drain it out. I could tell a big difference in how responsive the engine was...and the turbo sounds I was used to hearing in cab were not there. So the oil does make some minor differences in how it functions. I'm sure it's more than adequate for use...but I didn't feel comfortable. (Which doesn't mean anything I know).

On Powerstroke dedicated sites...Rotella T6 gets alot of good discussion and alot of folks use it and swear by it based on oil test results and with issues such as "sticktion" in injectors and cold start problems. And T5 10W-30 gets a few good mentions. But the 5000 interval seems to be commonly accepted on those sites.

On BITOG...it seems 10W-30 is suggested more, as is longer intervals. But either way...both oils should prove good for the 6.0L.

Just be sure if someone used a WIX filter for example...and you go back to Motorcraft...that you go to Ford and get an OEM housing cap. Some aftermarket filters such as Wix come with a taller and different cap for their filter...and it will not seal up correctly with a genuine parts filter.

Last edited:
No, TDT is not "simply" rebottled Delvac 1. It's similar; it's not the same. For all practical purposes in which one could ever diligently try to find a difference, there are subtle nuances that show up. Mobil holds the info close and does not speak of it much, but there are small variations. So small that most (including myself) simply don't care about them. In practical everyday use, including UOA results, you can't tell a difference.

But that could be said about most of the HDEOs out there ...

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Amsoil OE 10w30 Diesel oil.

Just switched over to this oil, good price point as well. So far, so good, runs smooth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back