New Tires, worth the warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get a new set of tires for the car I'm repairing. I'm wondering, though, if it is worth paying the extra $$ for the manufacturer's warranty.

Because I have friends and family 4-8 hours away that I may travel to throughout the year I'm planning on getting the tires from SAM's Club as they will tow to a Club and replace the tires for free if they fail due to normal road hazards.

For the record, my vehicle is a 1988 GMC Suburban, 2 wheel rear drive.

These are the tires I'm considering getting:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/goodyear-wrangler-rt-s-p235-75r15-105s/prod721251.ip?navAction=
$107.42 each, no warranty. $107.42 x 4 = $429.68
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/bf-goodrich...3.ip?navAction=
$131.97 each, 50,000 mile warranty. $131.97 x 4 = $527.88
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/michelin-ltx-a-t2-p235-75r15-xl-108s/127438.ip?navAction=
$149.48 each, 60,000 mile warranty. $149.48 x 4 = $597.92 (-$70 = $527.92)
Currently they're doing an instant $70 off of a full set of the Michelin's.

Either way, SAM's installation would be $15 x 4 = $60. So three costs would be:
$489.68
$587.88
$587.92

We live in a small country town with a half mile long driveway that sometimes gets slippery in heavy rain. Some of our friends have the same type of driveway and the vehicle would also need to be able to drive in the pastures(obviously not when they're wet). The majority of driving, however, would be on normal roads. And also, as I mentioned above, I have some friends and family a couple hundred miles away which I would drive on the interstate for.

Either way I need a new set of 4 tires. The car had been sitting dormant for a few years and they were old-ish tires then.

I would appreciate any suggestions/advice/personal experiences.

For starters, the Goodyear RT/S is OEM grade junk. I could only recommend those if you plan to trade it off soon.

For the difference in 4 cents between the other two, get the LTX. It is the best tire on your list of three by far.

I have the LTX on a Silverado 2wd and enjoy them every time the truck leaves the garage.

Check out Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor in that size, or Armortrac for that matter. Silent Armor has an $80/$160 rebate through Goodyear as well.

Otherwise, out of the above said options, Michelin would be my choice.

Id spend the extra for the Michelins. They should serve you well. Ive used the other LTX M/S tires and they have performed quite well. No vibration or failure of any sort. Check out Tirerack to see what people says about these tires.

Not planning on trading it soon so I need some good tires. I don't like spending alot of money(who does?) but I'm willing to pay for quality.

@Borune, Is this what you were thinking of with Armortrac? Looks like a decent tire. $132.66 x 4 = $530.64, or $490.64 if I can get the $40 rebate.

One point of clarification is that the warranties are in regards to tread life, stating that the tires will last for at least those number of miles if properly maintained (rotated, balanced, etc.). It is separate from road hazard repairs or tire replacement like the America's/Discount Tire certificates.

The real question is, does the expected tire life and other features (ride comfort, road noise, wet and dry traction, etc.) of the Michelins justify the higher price? Based on mrsilv04's comments, I would lean toward "yes".

I will tell you Sam's is very good at honoring tire manufacturers' tread wear warranty. They will prorate the mileage difference once you get to the wearbars. On a set of GY Fortera Triple Treds (65,000mile warranty) I was at the wear bars at about 30,000 miles and Sam's gave $90/tire towards the purchase of a set of Michelin LTX MS/2's.

Secondly, I have the Michelin LTX AT/2's on a Sequoia that has 30,000 miles and they have only worn down from 14/32" 's to 12/32" 's. An AT tire that even has a 60,000 mile warranty as do the LTX AT/2's tells me that Michelin is confident about this model's tread life. My tread wear for a 5,000lb SUV is pretty darn good. The LTX AT/2 is just as soft a ride as are the MS/2's. The LTX AT/2 has slightly superior snow handling than the MS/2's and also a slight "hum" at speeds around 80mph. Wet handling is slightly superior in the MS/2's. Anything off-road w/ the exception of mud(get mud tires), I can tell you the LTX AT/2's are just as capable as the BFG AT KO's that they replaced.

With my experience I would narrow the players down to either the LTX AT/2 or MS/2. Hurry up, since the Michelin 70$ rebate expires the 17th of March. They have to have the Michelins in stock before the expiration of rebate. That's why I usually order them online 2 weeks prior to expiration of rebate and pay for them and receive rebate on day of install.

Good Luck

Is this a 1/2 ton burb or a 3/4?

The michelins and BF goodriches in addition to their other blessings are a 108 load rating while the wanglers are 105. Check your door sticker for what you need.

If you're buying tires from Sam's Club, there should be nothing else to purchase. For the $15/tire mounting fee, you get road hazard protection through Sam's Clubs (and Walmarts, if a Sam's Club is not around). There is nothing else to buy.

And as others have said, the Michelin is by far the best tire on your list.

You've got to be careful as there are different kinds of "warranties".

The first is the warranty from the tire manufacturer. It covers manufacturing problems. Original Equipment tires - the ones you get with a new car - only have this kind of warranty. Nothing else.

For tire purchased to replace the original tires (or to replace the replacement tires), there usually is a mileage warranty - and as has been stated it is a prorated warranty based on the amount of miles to actually get vs what the warranty covers.

Sometimes tire manufacturers include a road hazard warranty along with the mileage warranty - most of the time, not. Please note: This never applies to OE tires.

Then there are aftermarket warranties. Some are strictly road hazard warranties. Some - like Discount Tire/America's Tire - are a total warranty - covers everything including wearout.

So you need to know what it is you are purchasing.

Originally Posted By: JasonTL
I need to get a new set of tires for the car I'm repairing. I'm wondering, though, if it is worth paying the extra $$ for the manufacturer's warranty.

Because I have friends and family 4-8 hours away that I may travel to throughout the year I'm planning on getting the tires from SAM's Club as they will tow to a Club and replace the tires for free if they fail due to normal road hazards.

For the record, my vehicle is a 1988 GMC Suburban, 2 wheel rear drive.

These are the tires I'm considering getting:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/goodyear-wrangler-rt-s-p235-75r15-105s/prod721251.ip?navAction=
$107.42 each, no warranty. $107.42 x 4 = $429.68
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/bf-goodrich...3.ip?navAction=
$131.97 each, 50,000 mile warranty. $131.97 x 4 = $527.88
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/michelin-ltx-a-t2-p235-75r15-xl-108s/127438.ip?navAction=
$149.48 each, 60,000 mile warranty. $149.48 x 4 = $597.92 (-$70 = $527.92)
Currently they're doing an instant $70 off of a full set of the Michelin's.

Either way, SAM's installation would be $15 x 4 = $60. So three costs would be:
$489.68
$587.88
$587.92

We live in a small country town with a half mile long driveway that sometimes gets slippery in heavy rain. Some of our friends have the same type of driveway and the vehicle would also need to be able to drive in the pastures(obviously not when they're wet). The majority of driving, however, would be on normal roads. And also, as I mentioned above, I have some friends and family a couple hundred miles away which I would drive on the interstate for.

Either way I need a new set of 4 tires. The car had been sitting dormant for a few years and they were old-ish tires then.

I would appreciate any suggestions/advice/personal experiences.

1st off as the other member already said cross those god awful Goodyears right off your list. They are awful tires! The BFG's are ok but the Michelins would be better.

2nd if you are set on buying from Sams( which is fine - your reasons are valid )for just $2.34 more per tire than the LTX AT2's you can get the LTX M+S2's which IMO will be a better choice for you and is a better tire anwyay. The same $70 rebate is available on a set of 4 M+S2's.

You have no practical reason to need an AT tire on a 2WD Suburban in Georgia. Not even driving in the "pastures" you talk about as long as they are dry( you said not when wet ). As long as it is dry ground an AT is not needed. Frankly with a 2WD AT's aren't going to do much better anyway especially the Michelin ones as they are nothing more than an aggressive AS anyway.

While you will never get good MPG any help you can get with gas so $$$ will help and an AS will get better MPG than an AT( even a whimpy AT like the LTX AT2 ). The M+S2's are going to be very good in rain( and even snow if you ever see any )as well so no worries about that sort of thing. They have a longer warranty, much better UTQG, and just flat out will give you more bang for the buck. They will last longer, be quieter, and give a better ride. They can handle mild off road work as long as it isn't deep mud too. Compare them below...

Michelin LTX AT2:
Tread Warranty - 60,000
UTQG - 500 AB
New Tread Depth - 14/32
Load Index/Speed Rating - 108S
Cost Each - $149.48

Michelin LTX M+S2:
Tread Warranty - 70,000
UTQG - 720 AA
New Tread Depth - 12/32
Load Index/Speed Rating - 108T
Cost Each - $151.82( my Sams price - should be about that for you as the AT2 price is the same for me as what you list )

The AT2's start out with 2/32 more tread depth but with such a higher UTQG the M+S2's will actually last longer which shows in the 10,000 longer tread warranty. The carrying abilities of the tires are the same as is max PSI so there is no "ruggedness" bonus for the AT's. IMO you would be much better served with the M+S2's than the AT2's for many reasons. The $9.36 in extra cost for a set of 4 will more than be made up for in gained tread life out of the M+S2's.

3 - If you would consider going elsewhere I would also recommend you look at the Firestone Destination LE2. Another great All Season tire for light truck/suv use. They match up to the LTX M+S2's in all areas except for UTQG but are rated higher than the LTX AT2's. I have them on my Jeep and they are awesome tires. Excellent in the rain and snow and a very quiet, smooth, comfortable ride. They will handle the "dry pasture" fine like the M+S2's would. They actually are a low rolling resistance type tire so they help a little with MPG. definitely worth a look and they will set you back $35-$45+ less p/tire if you shop around.

FireStone Destination LE2:
Tread Warranty - 60,000
UTQG - 520 AB
New Tread Depth - 12/32
Load Index/Speed Rating - 108T
Cost Each - $104.99 each( Firestone Complete Auto Care regular retail price here in NH )

Note - there is a $50 rebate available on a set of 4 select tires( the LE2 qualifies ) purchased at Firestone Complete Auto Care trough March 31st. That makes the LE2's just $92.40 p/tire. There is also another $50 bonus rebate available if the purchase is charged to a Firestone credit card( you can apply in store or online ). I looked and there are plenty of Firestone Complete Auto Care centers there in Georgia( throughout US actually )and like Sam's their road hazzard and mfg warranty can be done at any store you are at not just the one you purchased the tires at. Here is the rebate coupon...

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com...070&modal=1

I highly recommend these tires but obviously it is your decision. The LTX M+S2's might last a bit longer but the Destination LE2's will perform as well( or better )and last almost as long for a fraction of the cost.

Hope this helps you out.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Not planning on trading it soon so I need some good tires. I don't like spending alot of money(who does?) but I'm willing to pay for quality.

@Bourne, Is this what you were thinking of with Armortrac? Looks like a decent tire. $132.66 x 4 = $530.64, or $490.64 if I can get the $40 rebate.

Yup thats the tire. If you get a quote from Sams and get your local Goodyear to match it, you can make the purchase on a Goodyear card and get double i.e. $80 in rebate. Excellent tires for the money.

NHHEMI just did you right and wrote a huge explanation--- and I'm going to agree with every single thing he said. Including the Destination LE2. I have 4 on my Tundra--- it's probably the best choice I could have made. I've had some great tire experiences but not many. These are tops. And the price has been great. This is a Michelin-Slap. As much tire at less cost.

(I wish firestone had such an offering in minivan-size. the family hoopdee looks to be getting GY TT's soon, the GY trumps michelin and F-stone in the reviews. I just have never had a good experience with GY. maybe this will be the first.)

Excellent opinions given above.

As a fleet owner I buy many sets of tires every year, so I may have just a bit more experience with tires than many car and truck owners here.

We only buy Michelin. Note that our extensive real world experience is in TRUCK tires, not car tires. So pickups, vans, and large SUV's only please, not passenger cars.

The Michelin LTX MS2 is an almost unbelievable tire in service. One Silverado I own is driven an average of 150 miles every day, very tough female driver who works the truck hard, does dirt roads in rural areas and lots of high speed (emphasis on HIGH!) highway work back home. They now have just shy of 50k miles on them and are 1/2 worn!!! The life is similarly excellent on 9000 pound vans we run also, averaging THREE TIMES the competition!

In the LTX tires at least, Michelin is a singular value regardless of comparison. They also preserve their exemplary traction even when quite worn IME.

Many tires out there, kind of like ice cream, we all don't like the same flavors.

Last edited:
Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks for all the replies!

A few clarifications: Yes, it is a 1/2 ton.
Also, the terrain of our driveway is kind of hard to describe. It might be nice and dry when I leave in the morning, but if it rains during the day certain spots of the driveway can get really slippery and muddy. We've made this much better over the past few years but there is still a spot near the front where it gets really muddy. It's not enough to warrant a 4WD or switching to true mud tires each time it threatens to rain, but when one of our cars had normal city tires it got stuck.

Also, during the winter when it rains or snows it can stay wet for a week or more because the water freezes during the night and melts during the day but doesn't really dry up. During those times the whole driveway can be squishy.

That's my main reservation about the Firestone LE2's, the Michelin LTX A/T2 and the Michelin LTX M/S2. I'm not sure if they would get good enough traction on the wet days. The Goodyear ArmorTrac look like they might.

Have any of y'all been in those kinds of situations with the tires we're talking about?

Also, as some of you may know, the summers in GA can be pretty hot at times. Any tire I get needs to be able to handle the heat and the cold as I can't afford to have seasonal tires currently.

@NHHEMI, thank you for such a comprehensive post. What is UTQG though? I'm not familiar with that term.

@Eljefino, My door sticker is barely legible. I know the GVWR is 6800 / 3084 if that helps. I'll mostly be hauling light amounts of gear and 1-6 people. Occasionally a small utility trailer or a 16ft flatbed trailer. Won't be driving above 70mph and the usual driving will be 50-60mph.

I'm probably not going to rush to buy the Michelins in the next 3 days because they've been having that sale since January. They just say it ends in the middle of the month and then start it again the next day. If they actually end it this time, oh well.

Thank you all again. It really does help having the opinions and advice from other car owners.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Treadwright. $77 each; I have these exact tires on my Cherokee and have zero complaints. Going by wear so far, I might actually get 100K from them!

Just one problem, the title of the thread mentions "new" tires... not re-manufactured retreads.

Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks for all the replies!

A few clarifications: Yes, it is a 1/2 ton.
Also, the terrain of our driveway is kind of hard to describe. It might be nice and dry when I leave in the morning, but if it rains during the day certain spots of the driveway can get really slippery and muddy. We've made this much better over the past few years but there is still a spot near the front where it gets really muddy. It's not enough to warrant a 4WD or switching to true mud tires each time it threatens to rain, but when one of our cars had normal city tires it got stuck.

Also, during the winter when it rains or snows it can stay wet for a week or more because the water freezes during the night and melts during the day but doesn't really dry up. During those times the whole driveway can be squishy.

That's my main reservation about the Firestone LE2's, the Michelin LTX A/T2 and the Michelin LTX M/S2. I'm not sure if they would get good enough traction on the wet days. The Goodyear ArmorTrac look like they might.

Have any of y'all been in those kinds of situations with the tires we're talking about?

Also, as some of you may know, the summers in GA can be pretty hot at times. Any tire I get needs to be able to handle the heat and the cold as I can't afford to have seasonal tires currently.

@NHHEMI, thank you for such a comprehensive post. What is UTQG though? I'm not familiar with that term.

@Eljefino, My door sticker is barely legible. I know the GVWR is 6800 / 3084 if that helps. I'll mostly be hauling light amounts of gear and 1-6 people. Occasionally a small utility trailer or a 16ft flatbed trailer. Won't be driving above 70mph and the usual driving will be 50-60mph.

I'm probably not going to rush to buy the Michelins in the next 3 days because they've been having that sale since January. They just say it ends in the middle of the month and then start it again the next day. If they actually end it this time, oh well.

Thank you all again. It really does help having the opinions and advice from other car owners.

Not seeing in person how muddy things get for you I can't say for certain if the LE2 or M+S2 tires would be ok but my thoughts are they would. You aren't talking about running a plowed corn field that has 12"+ of deep mud here. More like a dirt road that is a little muddy and if you drive properly for the conditions you will be ok I would think. 2WD is a detriment in that situation regardless of the tire type you have. The rain and snow on pavement at least I can assure you will be no issue for the AS's I mentioned.

UTQG = Uniform Tire Quality Grading

That basically tells you about treadwear, traction, and temperature. You can read more about it using the link below or just enter UTQG Explained in an internet search and you will get all the info you want. As a rule the higher the UTQG the better the tire will wear and is. However, I have found that at times a lower rating does not always mean a lousy tire. It is just a guide and it is not a guarantee.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
As a rule the higher the UTQG the better the tire will wear and is. However, I have found that at times a lower rating does not always mean a lousy tire. It is just a guide and it is not a guarantee.

Absolutely true IME as well. Don't let a supposed treadwear number be the only reason you use or do not use a tire. Same with a traction or heat rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back