Pennzoil Ultra or Mobil 1 AFE for Focus ST?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would use 0w-30 before using 0w-40 when under warranty for my 3.5 Ecoboost. That being said, I have more than three changes worth of PU 5w-30 lined up and have my eyes on more if it goes on clearance.

Nice find - I knew someone would eventually figure out a way past the carbon forming on the intake valves of DGI engines. I wonder if other people will "copy" Ford's method or have to license it from them.

Originally Posted By: A_A_G
If I owned a Focus ST, I'd personally go with M1 0w-40.

Wouldn't fuel consumption concern you by going with a 40 weight? Granted fuel consumption is typically an afterthought on a performance vehicle. But the interesting thing is that many owners bought an ST over others because it very nicely combines practicality, performance, and fuel economy (I live on focusst.org). Ford advertises 22 city/32 MPG highway (26 combined). Most appear to have a very difficult time achieving the 32 number, myself included.

Regards.

Last edited:
The problejm I have now is that neither of these oils are even available to us in the Great White North. Will have to make a special trip to Bellingham just to get these oils!

My long term preference is for PU Euro 5W-30 as it is low SAPS and carries the VW504/507 spec. Unfortunately, we will never find this oil in NA. PU it is then.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
I would use 0w-30 before using 0w-40 when under warranty for my 3.5 Ecoboost. That being said, I have more than three changes worth of PU 5w-30 lined up and have my eyes on more if it goes on clearance.

I might sneak an OCI of M1 0w-40 into my ecoboost next go around. This OCI will be about 3K per the OLM (65% @ 1K) in the past 4 months. OCI will be done with engine hours and not miles. As long as I get it to the dealer before its been a year and 10K since my last visit...they will never know.. lol With the fuel dilution and shearing it'll be a 30wt after 1000 miles anyway. Have to use up my stash of oil before I buy more though so more than likely it will be out of warranty when I try the 0w40.

Considering Ford doesn't make the jump up in oil weight from 30 until you hit their 5L and 5.4L Mustang engines - 0w40 would be overkill.

Stick with the 30 weight oil as it matches the proper Ford specs for a Focus ST.

Again, take the fact that Ford does not manufacture a 40 weight petroleum oil as a sign that 0w40 is not a correct application for this ST.

They recommend 50 weight for Sheblies and GTs, and 30 weight for 4L V6 engines and smaller.

Stick with the WSS46 spec of 0w30 and 5w30.

If it's recommended to use 5W-30 why even suggest going 0W-40? The latter would have higher HTHS and may even be SM rated. As someone posted above, both original choices are spec'd for the car so get whatever is available and cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Considering Ford doesn't make the jump up in oil weight from 30 until you hit their 5L and 5.4L Mustang engines - 0w40 would be overkill.

Stick with the 30 weight oil as it matches the proper Ford specs for a Focus ST.

I know they arent the same, but mazdaspeed 3 owners have done the same because of the high boost and direct injection.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
Enough talk about oil...got any pics of the car?

LOL! Alright, you asked for it....

edit

edit

Can't seem to figure out how to get these to show up on my post as an embedded image.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back