Should I put LubeGard Platinum in an unknown trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am due to pick up an S10 blazer today, it has 155,000 miles but the history is unknown. I was going to put some LubeGard Platinum in it, the logic being cant hurt and could probably help.. sure I could change out the fluid at some point but whats up, how do you think a lubegard red and or platinum cocktail would go in a 1993 4wd trans of the s-10/gmc s15 platform ?

i didn't go looking for the drain plug on that trans yet, but let me run it by those that know more than I do first and that will help me decide whether to go ahead and do it or not.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Use LG Red in that transmission.

I have a bottle of the Platinum and the bottle of the Red.. any harm or fear in inserting both?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
I would do fluid/filters first, then some LG if you want

+1

+1

Ok, so.. Just the Red then, or both? Or, just the LGP?

(No, I really am that stupid, I am agonizing over which one or both to place down the fill tube.)

Last edited:
if it's a 4l60E, I wouldn't waste your money on servicing the trans. They have a sun shell failure that takes the trans out..Just save your money for a rebuild.

unless it was just given yo me, I wouldn't buy an S10 Blazer. We had one in the family that was a 1998 and it was pure junk. electrical issues, would burn out starters, drank coolant, leaked from oil cooler lines, cracked dash, 13mpg with 3.42 gears, 2 fuel pumps in 76k miles and the trans went. RUN

Last edited:
I bet if you'd ask OilChanger, he'd tell you to just use MaxLife and skip the Lubegard.
grin.gif

I also agree,

Change the fluid and filter before doing that.

if changing the filter is too expensive or inconvenient for you...
Atlease change the fluid , drive for couple hundred miles and change again.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I bet if you'd ask OilChanger, he'd tell you to just use MaxLife and skip the Lubegard.
grin.gif

LOL!

Found myself in a similiar situation. Sent an email to "Lubegard" they responded with the following:

"Lubegard Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant (red bottle) is fully compatible with Lubegard Platinum. Do not use more than one bottle of each. Please let me know if I can do anything else.
Best regards,

Elise Haviland"

I have to agree however, I would at least change out the current fluid. An easy method is to buy a small hand pump and pump fluid out via filler tube. You can pick these up at Lowes or Home Depot. Mine cost 12 bucks and works great. I even replaced the orange tube with a clear plastic one so I can see the color of the fluid when it comes out - I'm just funky that way. You'll be able to pump out about three quarts, then replace with fresh fluid, drive around, pump out three quarts, then replace, etc. till you cycle 12 to 14 quarts through tranny. Then on final pump/flush, add the Lubegard. It's very easy and avoids all the pan drop mess. The only problem you'll have is wondering how much crud is on the bottom of your pan and if your filter is dirty. If you're like me, it will keep you awake at night wondering until you finally do it.

The Lubegard Red is suitable for this transmission and cheaper. The Platinum is also suitable but costs more. (Platinum is supposed to be universal replacing Red, Green & Black....at a higher price.) As said, use only one bottle.

Originally Posted By: P20565R16
I am due to pick up an S10 blazer today, it has 155,000 miles but the history is unknown. I was going to put some LubeGard Platinum in it, the logic being cant hurt and could probably help.. sure I could change out the fluid at some point but whats up, how do you think a lubegard red and or platinum cocktail would go in a 1993 4wd trans of the s-10/gmc s15 platform ?

This logic is flawed IMO. If the transmission is running fine, don't add anything to the ATF. It's certainly a good idea to change ATF if the ATF change history is unknown. If the transmission has issues, you could add Lubegard Platinum to it. This is the recommendation of Lubegard, to add Platunum to transmissions that already have issues. Platinum is the strongest Lubegard formula. On the other hand, if the transmission ls running fine, why add anything to it other than the manufacturer recommended fluid?

Last edited:
Quote:
This is the recommendation of Lubegard, to add Platunum to transmissions that already have issues. Platinum is the strongest Lubegard formula.

Where is this stated by ILI?

Platinum has a few added friction modifirs over and above that of Lubegard Red.

Just change the fluid and let it clean slowly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back