Pennzoil Ultra or Mobil 1 AFE for Focus ST?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you all recommend me either one of these two oils for a 2013 Ford Focus ST? Engine is a turbo 2.0 Ecoboost DI. I'm considering PU 5W-30 or M1 AFE 0W-30. The STs come with a recommendation to use 5W-30. I know that either oil product will be fine as it's the 30 which is most important.

On one hand PU has a great track record here on BITOG. Lots of UOA has made PU a proven and respected product here. Not only that, it is one of the lesser volatile oils out there, which is crucial for DI engines. Unfortunately, it appears that from several posts, the supply of PU is starting to decline for various reasons.

This leads me to M1. It's newer, and isn't a whole lot of UOAs out there for this product. Yet it appears that it's a pretty robust oil considering the requirements for a 0W-30 oil. From what I've read so far here, people seem to like it.

My car is 7300 km old and has been on PP since 1000 km. I plan to do a change and UOA of PP at the 12000 km (7500 mile) oil interval (13000 km on the odometer).

Thanks.

Is a 12,000 Km OCI within Ford warranty for the ST?
If it is within warranty I would build up to a 12,000km OCI after proving it works with 2 - 3 UOAs.
The Ford Ecoboost 3.5 can be hard on oil - fuel dilution is a worry.

I would run PU if you can find it. If not Mobil 1 0w-30 is a very good oil, and so is PP 5w-30 with a rather high VI.

I liked the older synthetic 0w30AFE (Gf4)good enough, but not the latest visom stuff - though I dont have a 30 grade engine in my stable any longer. I would try and find a REAL synthetic for the turbo, though the PU would be close enough as XHVI slackwax and GTL stocks are guud stuff. 10w30 would be fine for spring through fall.
I wouldnt do a UOA at 12kkm - breakin is still killing the oiland it will look trashed. Maybe next interval if you think its necessary.

Last edited:
How about Mobil 1 5W-30? We know it's a quality oil, and has a number of OEM certs, like dexos1 and HTO-06. Neither of these are necessarily relevant to your application, but they do demonstrate that it's a very good product. Another plus is you know you'll be able to find Mobil 1 5W-30 in any store you walk in.

Either oil has the Ford WSS46 spec that you need for a Focus ST - you cannot go wrong with either.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Either oil has the Ford WSS46 spec that you need for a Focus ST - you cannot go wrong with either.

Bingo
thumbsup2.gif

Good stuff you guys.

I'm not one to stray too far from the recommended OCI or do excessively frequent oil changes after a very short interval
The manual does say 8000-11999 km for severe (moderate load/towing; off-road/mountainous; extended idling; extended hot/cold) and 4000-7999 for extreme (maximum towing/load; extreme hot/cold operation). I'm definitely a "normal" driver.

Thanks.

Last edited:
On a side note, I'm sold on mid-to-longer OCIs. My previous car (2002 RSX Type-S) which I had for 10 years lived the majority of its life on PP 5W-30 at 14000 km OCI. The engine (looking through the oil cap) appeared spotless.

Andrew

Use the PU due to its very low NOACK. This may help with deposits. This lineup is too young to tell if deposits will be a issue.

Turbo? Heat? Is it driven hard at all? No way I would go with M1 AFE - phosphorous only 650ppm. In a Hi Performance vehicle with a Turbo, that's a recipe for disaster IMO. Regular M1 5W-30 might be marginal at 800ppm. Maybe M1 5W-30 Hi Mileage or the Turbo 5W-40. If you use the 0W-30 AFE, drive it gently, the low shear might be another concern.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Turbo? Heat? Is it driven hard at all? No way I would go with M1 AFE - phosphorous only 650ppm. In a Hi Performance vehicle with a Turbo, that's a recipe for disaster IMO. Regular M1 5W-30 might be marginal at 800ppm. Maybe M1 5W-30 Hi Mileage or the Turbo 5W-40. If you use the 0W-30 AFE, drive it gently, the low shear might be another concern.

It has Ford's approval. There are other anti-wear additives of the organic variety being used in these new cutting-edge fomulas, components that don't show up in a UOA.

And I'm confused as to your correlation between a turbo (high heat) and phosphorous (high valve spring pressure, cam lobe protection). An oil with high quality base oils that resist heat well are certainly suitable for use in a turbo application, and the oil in question is of that variety.

Originally Posted By: Donald
PU

+1

Both are excellent oils, if you can easily acquire PU locally then I say go for PU. I do prefer PU over M1 on my Turbo Subaru. Either way I don't think you can go wrong.

Last edited:
Quote:
The Ford Ecoboost 3.5 can be hard on oil - fuel dilution is a worry.

Both are top notch. Edge would currently go to PU, but it would be close. I say run both and do a UOA. If fuel dilution is an issue, keep your drains short. Also, some oils that use little to no viscosity index improvers, (your 10w30 synthetics with Low viscosity index) can sometimes hold up better when fuel diulution is an issue.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: bigt61

It has Ford's approval. There are other anti-wear additives of the organic variety being used in these new cutting-edge fomulas, components that don't show up in a UOA.

And I'm confused as to your correlation between a turbo (high heat) and phosphorous (high valve spring pressure, cam lobe protection). An oil with high quality base oils that resist heat well are certainly suitable for use in a turbo application, and the oil in question is of that variety.

Right. Mobil 1 currently uses the latest in additive and base oil technology. You can't judge an oil by a VOA.

Mobil 1 0w30 also meets GM 4718M, and I believe now dexos 1. It also has a good slug of PAO in it. 40% I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back