Eye Opening Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
In
e-mails to people who have rear main oil seal leaks and want to use Auto-Rx® to try and stop them, we tell them to use non-synthetic oil to firm up the seal material after Auto-Rx® has cleansed it, as chemistry in non-synthetic oil makes seals harden just right to effect a tight seal.

I question why anyone would want to go back to a chemistry that will start the process of seal material degradation all over again. A way around this problem is to use 3 ounces of Auto-Rx® with each oil change after a rear main seal leak is stopped. Now you are protecting seal degradation and can use synthetic, semi-synthetic, or high mileage oil without creating a new leak problem.
The best conventional oil cannot even come close to the best synthetic lubericants available!! The pour points, flash points, cold crank # and HTHS # and NOAK # all tell the truth! Does this mean that a conventional oil can not do a great job protecting an engine from wear? No!! President George W. Bush have been trying to legislate a mandate requiring states to increase the amount of ethanol used in reformulated gasoline from about 3 billion gallons to 5 billion gallons by 2012.

But the reformulated-gasoline program has turned out to be a colossal failure, and the ethanol industry has transmogrified into a sacrosanct, pork-swilling behemoth that gets bigger and hungrier with each feeding. Ethanol dirties the air more than it cleans it.

quote:

Originally posted by LubeOiler:
In
e-mails to people who have rear main oil seal leaks and want to use Auto-Rx® to try and stop them, we tell them to use non-synthetic oil to firm up the seal material after Auto-Rx® has cleansed it, as chemistry in non-synthetic oil makes seals harden just right to effect a tight seal.

I question why anyone would want to go back to a chemistry that will start the process of seal material degradation all over again. A way around this problem is to use 3 ounces of Auto-Rx® with each oil change after a rear main seal leak is stopped. Now you are protecting seal degradation and can use synthetic, semi-synthetic, or high mileage oil without creating a new leak problem.
The best conventional oil cannot even come close to the best synthetic lubericants available!! The pour points, flash points, cold crank # and HTHS # and NOAK # all tell the truth! Does this mean that a conventional oil can not do a great job protecting an engine from wear? No!! President George W. Bush have been trying to legislate a mandate requiring states to increase the amount of ethanol used in reformulated gasoline from about 3 billion gallons to 5 billion gallons by 2012.

But the reformulated-gasoline program has turned out to be a colossal failure, and the ethanol industry has transmogrified into a sacrosanct, pork-swilling behemoth that gets bigger and hungrier with each feeding. Ethanol dirties the air more than it cleans it.

Huh?

quote:

Originally posted by kev99sl:
Huh?

My thoughts exactly... this makes no sense. Maybe it needs to be edited and it hasn't been, yet.

dunno.gif

Ok I put in some quotes that came from Frank's web site. The Ethanol is something that is something I wish were not in the gasoline and think most people feel this way. If it offends you that I am sorry about. It is a fact however and the debate about Synthetic and lube I should have left out. So delete if if you wish but they were not my writing.

Think you need to read "How To Stop A Seal Leak"
it is precisely the "chemistry "of non synthetic oil that firms up the seal. The additive packages in synthetic oil work great but not on existing seal leaks.

Frank: I use your product all the time I found this on your web site not in any way meant to discredit you or your product just couldn't understand the answer: Q: I've heard that synthetic oil can adversely affect my seals. Does Auto-Rx® help?
A: We believe that high-mileage engines that use synthetic/semi-synthetic or high mileage oil weaken the seal material and it loses its pliability. You can use any oil you want after the leak is stopped. In

It seems to me that synthetic oil degradation (or maybe to be more exact, the swelling activity due to interactions with various compounds in oil with various seal comounds) is only one, and a minor mechanism of seal breakdown (think how many leaky cars exist which NEVER touched syn oil).

That said, it appears that the combo of dino oil and auto-rx has the ability to get seals to have like-new characteristics, regardless of what caused the original problem.

JMH

The best dino oils can't come close to synthetics?
Maybe at extremes of change intervals, and very, very, cold or hot conditions.
Normally, you can just go longer with synthetics, and that is equalized by the price difference.

Seeing how most cars I have seen with seal leaks have been run on dino all their lifes I think your argument is weak! LubeOiler, You agenda against synthetic oils is crystal clear!

I also think that it is so far gone to blame any oil for a seal leak. That makes about as much sense to me as blameing a spun bearing on discount gas just becasue someone fueled up their the day before. I find it odd that I have never had to replace a front or rear main seal on anyting I have owned or my family has owned that we have owned since new. We have run synthetic since 1988.

I think it is easy to see that in most cases a seal was either defectivce from the oem or dmaged from age,lack of oil changes,heavy carbon load, storage or solvent additive added to oil. Itis also worth noteing that many OEM's skimp or have skimped in the past on seal material.

Modern seal materials like teflon and viton wich some companys have used since the late 1980's are almost impervious to automotive solvents and base stocks.

If anything I would say that most issues are caused by the OEM use of cheap material or inferior seal design followed by lack of maintnece by most owenrs!

This whole synthic causes seal degradation dribble is a waste of bandwidth! Seals are not good for the life of the vechile unless your vechiles have a very short life span. Seals periodicly have to be replaced as they wear out!

quote:

I question why anyone would want to go back to a chemistry that will start the process of seal material degradation all over again. A way around this problem is to use 3 ounces of Auto-Rx® with each oil change after a rear main seal leak is stopped. Now you are protecting seal degradation and can use synthetic, semi-synthetic, or high mileage oil without creating a new leak problem

A leaking or deformed seal doesn't happen overnight. From my take on it ..generally speaking ..the process is a very long term one. Those with leaking and/or deformed seals have either, 1: been neglected with inferior oils over longer than sensible OCIs ..or 2: Have extremely advanced mileage/years.

Hence once returned to "functional" there would be no reason to think that the use of any oil would be in any way 'wrong'. With proper care ..it shouldn't return. With neglect ..same thing will happen.
dunno.gif

Given the time it takes to make a new seal "shot" ..and assuming that you can restore only half the life in the rejuvinated one ...you're probably looking at the car hitting the junkyard before an incident reoccurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back