2013 Altima vs Accord vs Others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: smc733
Overall, I'm not very happy with the choices out there,

Is there some reason why you're avoiding Mazda6 that was suggested several times already?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Is there some reason why you're avoiding Mazda6 that was suggested several times already?

IDK, Mazda has never done it for me, and a lot of people have told me to stay away from Mazda, including some Mazda drivers
smirk.gif

However, I'm having fun with the search, so I will see where the nearest Mazda dealer is and give it a spin, it looks pretty nice from what I am seeing online, and I REALLY like the layout of the interior.

I don't completely understand excluding the current crop of domestics. The all new Fusion and new Malibu are very good looking cars and perhaps Ford left the European DNA intact and didn't dumb it down as much as they did the Mazda6 when they made the first Fusion.
The Malibu has the new 2.5 Ecotec which comes up just one horsepower short of the Sonata/Optima but makes more torque

I just can't get excited about the 200 without a Power Retractable Hardtop.

Also don't know why the Legacy and Mazda6 would be excluded.
They are both niche cars but they do what they do very well. The Mazda is and has been the driver's car for the segment and the Legacy is solid body structure AWD goodness.

I'm not a fan of the 5 cylinder, but the Chattanooga built Passat is getting very good reviews.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I don't completely understand excluding the current crop of domestics. The all new Fusion and new Malibu are very good looking cars and perhaps Ford left the European DNA intact and didn't dumb it down as much as they did the Mazda6 when they made the first Fusion.
The Malibu has the new 2.5 Ecotec which comes up just one horsepower short of the Sonata/Optima but makes more torque

I just can't get excited about the 200 without a Power Retractable Hardtop.

Also don't know why the Legacy and Mazda6 would be excluded.
They are both niche cars but they do what they do very well. The Mazda is and has been the driver's car for the segment and the Legacy is solid body structure AWD goodness.

I'm not a fan of the 5 cylinder, but the Chattanooga built Passat is getting very good reviews.

I really like Subarus, but to get Nav (I know, I am way too fixed on nav) costs a lot in that car, and it is due for a refresh soon.

I am not a fan of the Fusion's style, and I have a hard time trusting GM's reliability, but just for the heck of it, maybe I'll give one a spin. (I'm gonna try the Mazda 6 and Sonata, too).

I am going to steer clear of VW, for all of their reliability problems.

As for the 200, I personally LOVE the car, but I have my doubts about it being a good purchase.

I have drive an Audi CVT for 240,000 miles and like it. The Honda CVT is probably the best CVT I have ever driven as it eliminates the rubber band effect. Honda has done a good job on that. The Altima is a good car, rentals give me 36 to 38 mpg on the highway but it does not drive as well as the Honda. I would go with the Honda but eliminate some of the fluff, a good Garmin is better then their NAV and is cheaper too.

Originally Posted By: dernp
Honda. Better resale. Better quality. It's priced $4000 more for a reason.

Part of me says to just spend the extra $2k and get the V6 accord... But that really is a lot of money.

Originally Posted By: dernp
Honda. Better resale. Better quality. It's priced $4000 more for a reason.

Part of me says to just spend the extra $2k and get the V6 accord... But that really is a lot of money.
just test drive the Camry se you will love it its peppy for a 2.5 and you can get all the option you want on it and with the rebates it comes close to the Honda

Last edited:
IDK, Mazda has never done it for me, and a lot of people have told me to stay away from Mazda, including some Mazda drivers
smirk.gif

I used to own an Accord. After that experience, I would tell you to stay away from Honda.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
++ ^^

....I've owned 2 Altimas and the Camry is superior...don't know if equal to the Accord, but worth the money over the Altima.

I'll go take a look at the XLE Thursday morning. Last I remember, I could get one nicely equipped w/Nav for around 14k after my trade.

Tough call. They are my 2 favorite cars in the class.
I think if I wanted an automatic car I would go Nissan, and if I wanted a manual trans I would go Accord.
The Camry is so far out of the running it would never even be considered. It is a weak car.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
++ ^^

....I've owned 2 Altimas and the Camry is superior...don't know if equal to the Accord, but worth the money over the Altima.

I'll go take a look at the XLE Thursday morning. Last I remember, I could get one nicely equipped w/Nav for around 14k after my trade.

I would get the hybrid version. You'll be much happier with it in the long-haul.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Tough call. They are my 2 favorite cars in the class.
I think if I wanted an automatic car I would go Nissan, and if I wanted a manual trans I would go Accord.
The Camry is so far out of the running it would never even be considered. It is a weak car.
may I ask in what way it's a weak car ????

smirk.gif

I used to own an Accord. After that experience, I would tell you to stay away from Honda.
smile.gif

It you owned a S2000, then it will be a different story.
55.gif

smirk.gif

smile.gif

I hear that from every single car make. However it is a disappointment for sure when one of the best thing you hear is hyped up reliability and it fails. Anticipated reliability justisfies in your mind why you are buying a product overlooking other shortcomings.

Overall, I'm not very happy with the choices out there, compared to the more conventional options available just a few years ago. I'm kind of off put on domestic 4 cyls, which is why I'm leery of GM/Ford's offerings (both of which no longer have V6 options).

Nothing wrong with a domestic 4 banger. I'd drive the Fusion. IMHO it looks drop dead goregous, drives really nice and gives you a lot for your $$.

Honda is way overrated and not better quality than Chevy or Ford. That's according to the latest JD Power ratings if you trust them. And I believe even CR has hinted Honda it not that good any more.

There's certainly nothing wrong with the Camry. If you like the Camry, buy one. Our opinion doesn't matter; what matters is if YOU like the car. The 2011 I owned had the same 2AR-FE engine and it's a sweet mill. I didn't like the transmission programming *at all* on mine, which is one of the reasons I traded it. I had the base model with the base manual seat which became uncomfortable to me over time. If you are interested in all the reasons why I traded it, feel free to PM me.

I traded it for a Honda that was 3 years its senior, with 35,000 more miles. I'd do the same trade again in a minute. The Toyota didn't "talk" to me. It rode me around just fine, but it didn't speak to me. I felt one with the Honda as soon as I cranked the engine. It's kind of like how they say in real estate, that you'll "know" when you're in the right house for you. You'll "know" when you're in the right car for you.

smirk.gif

And I bet lots of people told you to go with Toyota Corolla and look how well that worked out for you
wink.gif

The truth is that most mainstream non-luxury brands out there will have pretty much the same reliability and cost of ownership, which are excellent. Sure there are some unknowns like the ne CVT in the Accord, but generally speaking the odds are in your favor.

You seem to be your own enemy when it comes to making this decision. You complain about lack of choices when in fact there are tons of excellent choices out there but you have to step out of your own prejudice against brands and test drive the cars.

How can you make an informed decision when all you’re looking at is two car brands? What do you have to lose by test driving some others mentioned already or domestics? Or are you afraid you’re gonna like them more than you thought?

By the way, my perception of Mazda was the same as yours and I was also told to not buy Mazda but go with the obvious Corolla and Civic. I never had a Mazda before and I probably would not have bought it if it wasn’t for Honda and Toyota dealers making me feel as if they were doing me a favor by allowing me to buy a car from them.
My Mazda 3 is 7 years old with over 100k on the clock with only minor issues. I spent a whopping $160 so far for non-maintenance related repairs, $100 of which was actually my fault for running over a pot hole and busting the engine mount.
On top of that the car drives like a dream, with very good handling and road feel that is mostly absent in the segment. I could not be happier with my choice.

So don’t be stuck on two brands or options like Nav. or sun roofs because they do not add to the driving experience and overall feel of the car. An appliance like car will still be an appliance like car whether it has those options or not.
You’re not pressed for time as your current car is OK so take your time and test drive everything in the segment and you may be pleasantly surprised at the amount of options available that you were not aware of.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

So don’t be stuck on two brands or options like Nav. or sun roofs because they do not add to the driving experience and overall feel of the car. An appliance like car will still be an appliance like car whether it has those options or not.
You’re not pressed for time as your current car is OK so take your time and test drive everything in the segment and you may be pleasantly surprised at the amount of options available that you were not aware of.

Yes....this...I had gotten rearendtotaled in my Altima and NO TIME to window shop...and Kitacamry was the FIRST car I sat in on my buying tour...I just got lucky...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back