Will fully synthetic oil be ok for 18,000k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gerald123
I have a new mercedes ,vito cd113cd with dpf I have done 8,000k mercedes say the oil is ok and doesn't need changing till 18,000k does anyone think I should change oil before this can you rely on oil to be ok for this long?

Even though a modern oil can arrive at 18,000, 18.000km remains a limit beyond which never go. Honda recommends for my Civic TD replacing the oil at 20,000k. I have never exceeded 15,000. Much also depends on the driving conditions: if i make many short trips, urban traffic and many stop an go i just change it at 10.000k. If driving conditions are less stressful in the long run, i change the oil at 15,000k.

Eh, I've done a 30k km/1 year (18k mile) OCI on my Golf and sent off a sample for analysis. Oil was still suitable for continued use.

If your driving conditions are appropriate, there are no mechanical issues with the engine and you keep the oil level topped up, I don't see why you shouldn't leave the oil in the sump for the manufacturer's specified OCI.

Originally Posted By: skyship
Can you please post a link to your UOA, as I would like to see the oil type and figures. 20K km is normal, so 30K km should be OK on the highway for a good diesel with the right oil.

You've already posted on it three times in the past several months. Why do you feel the need to post on it further?

30k km was mixed high speed highway driving or towing and urban driving in terrible traffic jams both in the bitter cold of Chicago and the extreme heat of Baltimore. Probably 30% highway, 70% city.

Since this is a new model why are you not using/trusting ASSYST to determine when the oil needs to be changed?

Originally Posted By: Mercedes-Benz
Long maintenance intervals also contribute to the Vito's sustainability and economy. The ASSYST service computer which comes as standard calculates oil-change intervals on a flexible basis according to the actual use of the vehicle. The average interval across all engines stands at 30,000 km or two years. Higher mileages are also possible between oil changes, depending on the intensity of use and the individual driving style.

The OM651 engine w/DPF requires engine oils per MB 228.51, 229.31 or 229.51.

I have a new mercedes ,vito cd113cd with dpf I have done 8,000k mercedes say the oil is ok and doesn't need changing till 18,000k does anyone think I should change oil before this can you rely on oil to be ok for this long?
what does the manual say about oil filter changes, at 18000kms or... ?

Originally Posted By: scurvy

The OM651 engine w/DPF requires engine oils per MB 228.51, 229.31 or 229.51.

I have run the DPF oils (Castrol 05w30 and Mobil 1 ESP 10w40) in my 2010 Golf TDI and I can not get 10,000 miles without high wear metals and low TBN. I am now trying 7500 intervals and will post results when they are in. Of course TDT has a much more robust additive package.

Originally Posted By: fpracha
what does the manual say about oil filter changes, at 18000kms or... ?

Just incase you missed it the OP is talking in miles.

Usage is probably to be consider severe service as the vehicle is a Vito London Taxi. Not a traditional one but one converted from a Vito van.

Long OCI are the norm in these engines.

Though the London Ambulance Service and Met Police don't extend OCI's and still stick to the old school 3000 miles or 6 weeks.

But they are in even more severe service than Taxis as they pretty much run 24/7.

The oil specified by Mercedes in the UK and Europe is also very expensive stuff and the sump is fairly large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back