Pennzoil Ultra "no intention of discontinuing"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Quatro Pete. WM has supplier bargaining power.

As far as PU goes, they just ran the SeqIIIG testing so I doubt it's going anywhere.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Your saying product owners lease space on Walmart shelves and make stocking decisions? Interesting, I have to ask the local manager about that. He mentioned to me if it doesn't sell "X" amount its gone which I took as he, Walmart is "the decider".

This factors into the equation as well, I'm sure, but so do slotting fees...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slotting_fee

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2002/0415/130_print.html

My wife used to sell to Walmart, so I have to ask her how the process works, although I'm sure it may vary by product/supplier.

How much pull Shell has to place product in walmart makes the whole QSUD/PP/PU quite interesting indeed. Even if PU is not a "big mover" at walmart, it is probably the biggest single retailer for that product (PU). Around here PUltra is something like $37 at auto parts stores. If all markets are like that, ~$10 difference between walmart and others. Taking PUltra off Wally shelves could really hurt the future prospects of PUltra.

Last edited:
Ferrari owners who do their own oil changes are going to be upset about no more Pennzoil Ultra at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Oldasco
Ferrari owners who do their own oil changes are going to be upset about no more Pennzoil Ultra at Walmart.

Good one. Although the only PU grade that carries the Ferrari approval was never sold at Walmart.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Oldasco

Good one. Although the only PU grade that carries the Ferrari approval was never sold at Walmart.
smile.gif

That the 5w-40?

Somehow life will go on.

I personally think PU's days are numbered. Advanced Auto has the special on PP and for most people it wil be good enough.

...goodbye "hyper" cleaning technology.

Our local WalMart just put PU 5w-30 back on the shelves after removing it a couple years ago. They've had PU 5w-20 the whole time.

One WalMart first marked down to $21 for 5qt jug and $5 for single quart, today I grabbed the remaning jug with second marked down to $10.5 and some quarts at $2.5/qt.

I think PU day is numbered, the largest retailer in the world stops selling it is a big blow to Pennzoil.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
In response to an email I sent yesterday.....FWIW

Dear Sir

Thank you for your Inquiry. In regards to your question, Our Pennzoil Ultra which is one of our advanced engine oil is still in production till date and we have no intention of discontinuing.

You can find it in local automotive store

If you have any questions please contact us on 1-800-237-8645, option

Regards

Technical Services - U.O

Assuming you cut and pasted this, someone at SOPUS failed English 101.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
In response to an email I sent yesterday.....FWIW

Dear Sir

Thank you for your Inquiry. In regards to your question, Our Pennzoil Ultra which is one of our advanced engine oil is still in production till date and we have no intention of discontinuing.

You can find it in local automotive store

If you have any questions please contact us on 1-800-237-8645, option

Regards

Technical Services - U.O

Assuming you cut and pasted this, someone at SOPUS failed English 101.

I think the group that answers SOPUS' email inquiries is based in the Philippines.

I wonder why Pennzoil has basically abandoned the Canadian market with this oil then? They were supposed to sell it in Canadian Tire but that never happened and it only sold here in Walmart for a few months and then disappeared. If it's their best oil then why not sell it everywhere that Platinum is sold?

Originally Posted By: Patman
I wonder why Pennzoil has basically abandoned the Canadian market with this oil then? They were supposed to sell it in Canadian Tire but that never happened and it only sold here in Walmart for a few months and then disappeared. If it's their best oil then why not sell it everywhere that Platinum is sold?

I found it today at our new NAPA store. Just quarts thus far though. I'd like to try it out however with various track weekends and test and tune nights I don't want to extend the interval which then offers no ROI. I'm better off using PYB and change it monthly. I am spraying anywhere from 75-150 hp so I like to see the condition of the oil and it gives me a chance to see if I've got any problems.
I will be trying out tgmo 0w-20 and M1 0w-40 to get a high VI 30 grade,since that combo is very difficult to find up here.
So I gotta home brew er'

Originally Posted By: Patman

This actually probably has more to do with CT and WalMart buying depts then Pennzoil. It's true that PU is hard to find in Canada, but from my experience, the buyers at these companies are less inclined to stock every flavour, when restricting consumer choice (within reasons) will increase inventory turns which is a typical evaluation that these big companies use on their buyers.

And since PU has not gotten traction in Canada the way PP and the others have (even if it is "better") most buyers aren't willing to sacrifice their bonus.... I know I wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back