CV Boot Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of years ago I opted to change out the boots and grease on a pair of OEM Honda axles. My limited experience with CVs has led me to prefer retaining OEM axles to using parts-store replacements.

I used EMPI boots and now, 30k later, the outer boots are starting to get some small cracks on the inside folds. The inners are fine.

I'm sure new OEM boots would be the best but I'm just too cheap to go that route. My question is, among aftermarket brands, what is the preferred CV boot for long life? My options:

Precision (Moog)
Beck Arnley
Raybestos professional grade
EMPI

I have also heard of Rockford boots which are supposedly more resilient but they cost about the same as OEM.

How expensive are the OEM boots? Even if they are three times more expensive, it still beats doing the job again in another 30,000 mi. Sometimes Honda OEM parts prices are quite reasonable.

I agree completely on reusing the original joints and axle if they are in good condition, I don't trust the parts store axles either.

I'm also seeing listings for a brand called "Ohno" which is stated to be the OEM supplier. Perhaps I will get a pair of these for the outers and just use cheapies for the inners? The inners are easier to do anyway.

BTW, if I need supplemental CV grease which of these would be best (that I already have on hand):

Valvoline durablend
Amsoil MP wheel bearing grease
Amsoil 5% moly off-road grease
Schaeffers 238

I don't particularly want to get that expensive Redline stuff...

I use only Rockford Duraboots or OEM and Redline CV grease.
Anything else is a waste of my time and money.

Sorry to be a wet blanket but the rest is just junk, open the window and throw the money out and waste your time.

I didn't have any problem with Rockford boots but I did have a problem with their joints. I went through three in a row, each set lasted 10 months. I eventually gave up returning them.

Trav, that's exactly the input I'm looking for.

Do you use Redline CV2 for both inner (tulip) and outer (Rzeppa) joints?

Do the Rockford boots tend to hold up as long or longer than OEM? Are they a tougher material?

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
BTW, if I need supplemental CV grease which of these would be best (that I already have on hand):

None of the above. Don't mix greases. If you find you don't have enough, thoroughly clean out what you just put in and didn't have enough of, then put in 100% of your "supplement" grease.

Do the Rockford boots tend to hold up as long or longer than OEM? Are they a tougher material?

All I can say is they looked fine and definitely handled the 10 month interval. Ugh.

I've used (in the past, for all preventative maintenance related works), mainly EMPI boot kits.

I've used Rockford Duraboots before.

I typically use the CV grease packs that came along with the boot kit, with confidence.

(no, I don't buy that boutique CV grease thingy)

been doing CV boot repacking (preventative maintenance, for already cracked boots with grease flung all over the place, remain CV shaft instead) for over 20 yrs now, all EMPI boots I services are still holding up well.

certain older Japanese OEM boots use some softer neoprene based elastomeric materials, and as they became hardened, they develop cracks...newer CV boots (observed in most NA built/part-sourced Toys) their boots are of tougher, more PVC-like, petroleum resistant elastomers...lasts considerably longer too.

Q

Trav, that's exactly the input I'm looking for.

Do you use Redline CV2 for both inner (tulip) and outer (Rzeppa) joints?

Yes i use it on both inner and outer, its really good stuff.
Rockford holds up minimum as long as OEM if not longer. They use them on earth moving equipment for years without failure.

Edit: As someone posted the dark green grease included with the Rockford is good stuff, i happen to use if for other things on my Kubota tractor.

Last edited:
I've used Rockford products in the past with great success. The only thing wrong with their CV boots is that they don't have applications for many model vehicles. When I wasn't able to get Rockford products I used OEM.

If you're not using packets how much do you put in each joint? Weigh it out, or just pack the joint full and put the boot on?

If you're not using packets how much do you put in each joint? Weigh it out, or just pack the joint full and put the boot on?

7oz per joint works well. Sometimes they don't have the tubs only the 14oz tubes so 1 tube does 2 joints.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
How expensive are the OEM boots? Even if they are three times more expensive, it still beats doing the job again in another 30,000 mi. Sometimes Honda OEM parts prices are quite reasonable.

I agree completely on reusing the original joints and axle if they are in good condition, I don't trust the parts store axles either.

+1 Most cheap part store rebuilds grind the case hardening and ruin the joints.

GM uses thermoplastic on most models around 97 and up from what i can tell as does Ford on their pickups (no idea what they use on the cars).
Rockford Duraboots are thermoplastic but heavier and even more durable. They come with nice heavy clamps also.
I have used them on some off road apps like a 4x4 that goes off road and rips the unprotected OEM boots to shreds in a short time and these buggers last, one i did 6 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Rockford
Rockford's Duraboot is made of a Monsanto blend of special thermoplastic materials which resists temperatures from a frigid low of -65 F up to a scorching high of +475 F. The Duraboot is the ultimate joint protection against variable operating temperatures and destructive road abrasion.

Well I'm sold. I'll get a set of Rockfords. Do you just order direct from them by phone? I don't see any alternate retailers online.

A couple of years ago I opted to change out the boots and grease on a pair of OEM Honda axles. My limited experience with CVs has led me to prefer retaining OEM axles to using parts-store replacements.

I used EMPI boots and now, 30k later, the outer boots are starting to get some small cracks on the inside folds. The inners are fine.

I'm sure new OEM boots would be the best but I'm just too cheap to go that route. My question is, among aftermarket brands, what is the preferred CV boot for long life? My options:

Precision (Moog)
Beck Arnley
Raybestos professional grade
EMPI

I have also heard of Rockford boots which are supposedly more resilient but they cost about the same as OEM.

I wish that I could remember the brand name(I'm thinking TRW) of the CV boots that I replaced on my Honda. They were neoprene instead of plain rubber and lasted twice as long as the stock rubber.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back