castrol edge cleaning power

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was just curious if anyone has any experience with castrol edge and its ability to clean. how does it compare to mobil 1 and the sopus oils in engine cleanliness? i noticed the edge uses an add pack with magnesium, how does magnesium compare to larger amounts of calcium and sodium as a cleaner?

In terms of high temperature cleanliness, it's always been a weakness of Castrol Syntec. No idea about the new stuff. PU kept engines 40% cleaner than Castrol's product in the SEQ IIIG test, per Pennzoil. TBN retention has been good on the latest stuff, so far. Castrol appears to put more into their marketing than making a top performing product.

i saw that claim by pennzoil on their website, i suppose i disregarded it as marketing as well. ive only used castrol a hand full of times in gtx form, and was just curious about their edge and edge with TI formulas.

If I were going to run any Castrol, it would be a Euro spec. That is their bread and butter. 0w30 and 0w40 will clean very well over long drain intervals.

Originally Posted By: salv
If I were going to run any Castrol, it would be a Euro spec. That is their bread and butter. 0w30 and 0w40 will clean very well over long drain intervals.
+1

Originally Posted By: salv

I haven't observed their euro lubes keeping BMW's all that clean, FWIW.

I would compare PU with Castrol Titanium, not with Syntec!

No doubt, PU is proven to keep things much cleaner, but I feel EP & Titanium are not much different in that regard. One can argue who has the better/advanced base oils, but add packs are very competitively comparable.

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
I would compare PU with Castrol Titanium, not with Syntec!h

No doubt, PU is proven to keep things much cleaner, but I feel EP & Titanium are not much different in that regard. One can argue who has the better/advanced base oils, but add packs are very competitively comparable.

So your saying the castrol with titanium is comparable to pennzoil ultra in regards to cleaning?
That would be something I'd need to see to believe. German castrol is great oil in some applications however I have a friend with a termi cobra that ran GC since he bought the car in 04. He spun a bearing at the track last year so he pulled the engine for rebuild and the heads were significantly sludged. Especially the rear passenger head. There must be a serious hot spot there or something because it was layered.
Once completely torn down we saw oil drain passages that were clogged to almost half their actual size on the passenger side as well.
What was funny is that the drivers side was heavily varnished with minor build up on the exhaust cams springs but not the intake ones. Really very strange.

Edge with titanium does have cleaning power. I posted a pic 2 weeks ago but due to my phone camera it was pretty blurry. I'll get another one sometime.

I think people should realize that there is a difference between keeping things clean and the ability to clean.

If we go by marketing baloney, which seems to be the norm here, then PU is advertised to be better at KEEPING the engine clean, but Castrol used to claim (maybe they still do
21.gif
) that it was better at removing sludge, in the first OCI than any other oil on the market.

So it appears Castrol claims to be better at cleaning, while Pennzoil claims to be better at keeping things clean. To me, it’s all a bunch of horse manure.

I thought Castrol marketing was to keep things clean. I always got from the commercials that it was great for fighting the formation of sludge.

Weird to here about the Termi on GC. There had to be an issue as you mentioned for the galleys to sludge.

I would believe its just as good as any of them. People bash castrol for their marketing and love pennzoil for their marketing. Weird!

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
I would compare PU with Castrol Titanium, not with Syntec!h

So your saying the castrol with titanium is comparable to pennzoil ultra in regards to cleaning?
That would be something I'd need to see to believe. German castrol is great oil in some applications however I have a friend with a termi cobra that ran GC since he bought the car in 04. He spun a bearing at the track last year so he pulled the engine for rebuild and the heads were significantly sludged. Especially the rear passenger head. There must be a serious hot spot there or something because it was layered.
Once completely torn down we saw oil drain passages that were clogged to almost half their actual size on the passenger side as well.
What was funny is that the drivers side was heavily varnished with minor build up on the exhaust cams springs but not the intake ones. Really very strange.

And you didn't mention this before why??!!! HOLY POO!!!

I never bought into the GC hype. Reason being, I know UOA's are limited and I know Castrol products have historically been average to below average at keeping engines clean, especially in engines that run high oil temps.

I don't hide the fact that I'm not a Castrol fan. I think for years their synthetics have been a rip off.

I'll drain the oil in my Altima in a month or so, and fill with GC. It will be my first time running this oil. I picked up 24 quarts when it was BOGO a few months ago. that's almost 7 oil changes. And I'm pretty sure I can get 6k OCI's out of this oil....I know I could go a lot longer, but this thing is a short tripper. So I got enough GC to run in my Nissan for the next 40k+ miles. I'm curious to see how "dirty" the oil and the valve train gets.

Right now, I have 5k miles on M1 0w30 AFE in the Altima, and the oil is dark, but not leaving any deposits or varnish whatsoever on anything under the valve cover.

But I'd like to run M1 again after this drain and do a UOA...never done one before. Then run GC for two OCI's and do a UOA on the second run of GC and compare the results.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what - if either PU or Edge with Titanium were to cause sludge, only the Castrol would get the blame in Canada, since it can actually be found and used. If someone wants to pay $14 a litre, that's their choice, I suppose.
wink.gif

Haha! Titanium was on sale for $6.89/L around new years at CT... thats the lowest price I have seen so far! PU was available at local Walmart's for a short while (disappeared as of 2012), only other place I have seen it was at NAPA, a 1L bottle was retailing for $13.99+TAX!!!

Sheesh. I didn't see that $6.89/L special, and I usually pay attention. That's a nice price. The PU certainly was on its way out up here before it even got properly stocked. Clevy has mentioned it being at NAPA before, and I've heard that elsewhere. He's also seen it at a Shell station up in Saskatoon. As for NAPA, they're kind of hit and miss with pricing. When they have a synthetic on sale, they'll beat Walmart rollbacks. When it's not on sale, look out. Oddly enough, Clevy mentioned that NAPA up here has Eneos at a semi-sensible price, at least by Canadian standards.

The one Walmart near one of my businesses still has all the old SM/GF-4 Edge with Titanium. It's simply not moving. If you're going to roll back PP and QSUD and Synpower and regular Syntec to $19.99 a jug, you're not going to move $14 a litre synthetic.

True Say! Also, NAPA can order a case of PU if requested from their Distributor, again the price is simply outrageous! at my local Walmart & CT, QSUD (5L) & Syntec (4.4L) jugs routinely go for sale for about $24.99.

The cheapest I have purchased EP jug was for 33bux!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back