NEW BG Ethanol F/S Defender Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested to hear opinions from experts here.

I own a Toyota and darn thing works as long as its lubed so i cannot comment on these things.

How exactly does this thing "fight" ethanol in the gas for the entire duration of the oil change interval? Let me run some calculations for you.

5K miles OCI
20 mpg fuel mileage
250 gallon of E15 fuel
37.5 Gallon of ethanol

That bottle has 11oz of magic elixer

Anybody who thinks 11oz is going to neutralize 37.5 gallon of ethanol and is going to be sticking around for 3-6 months, he is the prime buyer for a bridge that I have for sale!

BG-44K has extremely high ratings. However, the bottle under discussion is not passing my sniff test and I have posted the logical reasoning for it.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
How exactly does this thing "fight" ethanol in the gas for the entire duration of the oil change interval? Let me run some calculations for you.

5K miles OCI
20 mpg fuel mileage
250 gallon of E15 fuel
37.5 Gallon of ethanol

That bottle has 11oz of magic elixer

Anybody who thinks 11oz is going to neutralize 37.5 gallon of ethanol and is going to be sticking around for 3-6 months, he is the prime buyer for a bridge that I have for sale!

Gumout all-in-one makes the same "lasts up to 3,000 miles" claims. Perhaps there is some technology to it. I remember reading somewhere that the product coats the fuel system in some way so it remains there for a period of time.

Part of that 3000 mile usage recommendation is to do with the original Techron study that found that deposit build up at 3000 miles were beginning to have a negative effect.

From my perspective, Gumout/Techron etc once the bottle is used up, it might take 3K/5K miles until the deposit build up are enough to affect the performance. I consider Gumout/Techron is cleaning up the previous 3K/5K miles of gunk from the fuel system and not prevent gunk from building for the future 3K/5K miles. That is how I rationalize my usage.

Ethanol is actually a pretty good fuel system cleaner in it's own right, so I'm not quite sure what ethanol deposits BG is trying to prevent. FWIW, millions and millions of vehicles have been using E10 around the NYC/metro area for years without any issues whatsoever (and the majority of folks never add any additives at all). Buy from a high volume filling station (top tier if it's priced right) with clean tanks and you should be good to go.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
FWIW, millions and millions of vehicles have been using E10 around the NYC/metro area for years without any issues whatsoever (and the majority of folks never add any additives at all)

Can you link to the study that came up with these numbers? Even a study of a thousand drivers and what percent did or didn't use any additive will do, we can do the math to get to millions and millions.

No one has said ethanol alone has no cleaning abilities but there are numerous problems with it when mixed with motor fuel.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_additive_safe_with_e10_list.html

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Drew2000
FWIW, millions and millions of vehicles have been using E10 around the NYC/metro area for years without any issues whatsoever (and the majority of folks never add any additives at all)

Can you link to the study that came up with these numbers? Even a study of a thousand drivers and what percent did or didn't use any additive will do, we can do the math to get to millions and millions.

No one has said ethanol alone has no cleaning abilities but there are numerous problems with it when mixed with motor fuel.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_additive_safe_with_e10_list.html

In other words, Drew2000 has to prove ethanol is good with a study of a few thousand drivers in a comprehensive scientific study.

Trav on the other hand can use a website that ran no scientific study, a site that sells ethanol test kits and obviously profits off hysteria, as his source for good, unbiased information that ethanol is bad.

Yep. Nothing wrong here.

Edit: "FUEL-TESTERS COMPANY BELIEVES GAS ADDITIVES ARE NOT USUALLY NEEDED WITH E10 FUEL -

Fun.

Last edited:
Millions and millions of cars. The majority of folks never add any additives at all.
Without any issues whatsoever.

No facts here whatsoever, its all opinion. How does he know how many cars had problems? Millions and millions?
Come one now.
The negative effects of ethanol are well documented.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Trav on the other hand can use a website that ran no scientific study, a site that sells ethanol test kits and obviously profits off hysteria, as his source for good, unbiased information that ethanol is bad.

In defence of Trav on this one, he's speaking more from experience than from the mentioned website's information. His experience is, of course, anecdotal, but he is in the business and sees injector problems on a daily basis.

Personally, I believe the E10 problem is somewhat exaggerated, but that doesn't mean there are no issues. The biggest complaints are in the outdoor power equipment industry, but I suspect such equipment would fare better with E10 if both the users weren't leaving old fuel in there for years at a time and the manufacturers weren't using the cheapest garbage for fuel system parts that they can get their hands on.

I just use Startron with most fillips....

the "phase separation" won't be as pronounced as like "Marine Engines".... so, the 1 oz of starton in my 18 gallon tank is just peace of mind for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back