Ammunition brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen, I have been out and about this morning shopping for ammo. My local Wal-Mart had 2 boxes of S&W 40 CAL. 165 grain jacketed hollow points for $24.xx for a box of 20. A local Meijer (regional retailer) had a box of Armscor 40 CAL. 180 grain full metal jacket, a box of 50 for $18.xx . What are your thoughts on these brand names? I thought the Wal-Mart store ammo was high.

was it S&W or S&B ammo? Either is fine and I don't have issues plinking with Armscor ammo...the 180 FMJ, IMO, would be fine for target practice but I would choose a (better known) name-brand JHP for SD purposes....but that's just me...YMMV.

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
if the ammo IS Smith and Wesson or Sellior and Bellot.....both are considered premium although I would probably go with S&W myself.

I don't consider S&B premium. It is a decent stuff but not premium.

$25/box for 20 good quality JHPs in .40S&W is a reasonable price. I would pay that for Speer Gold Dots, etc.

But I wouldn't pay more than $20/box for 50 ball round/FMJ target ammo in .40S&W...

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
For plinking, no contest.
The very expensive ones seem more suited for personal defense.

Yeah, kind of what I was thinking too. Thank you for your comments.

The only ammo I have a general dislike of is Remington. At least their handgun loads and their .22LR.

Remington UMC 9mm smells horrible - not just gun powder, but like a bitter skunky gun powder. It's pretty gross and I'm glad I wasn't shooting indoors with it because it would reek something terrible I can imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back