2007 Corolla coolant flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just was wondering if there is anything special to do and look out for when changing out the coolant on an 07 Corolla. I'm going to the dealer to get the coolant and do I need anything else while I'm there? I take it that you basically pull the radiator drain and flush the system with fresh distilled water, let drain and then top off with 50/50 mix.

I'm under the impression I have to use the Toyota coolant that is why I'm going to the dealer to get it.

Yes, continuing to use Toyota SLLC is the wise thing to do. Good stuff. No flush is required, just a 4qt drain using the plastic hand tight radiator drain valve. Unscrew it till fluid pours, dont take the drain all the way out. 20 min drain and fill and your done for another 60-70k. Pop off the expansion tank and clean that too. Your staying with the same fluid. Its good for almost 100k. And..Its not silicate based like the old days where a flush is required. I'm running the red LLC in the old Camry. Drain and fills every 40-50k, not one single failure of anything including the water pump and thermostat. You could go up to 100k on the pink, but 60-70k drain and fills IMO is good. On the Corolla the drain and fill gets you 90%.

Zerex Asian is made for Toyota and Honda. Better deal than coolant from the dealer.

I would just drain the radiator and refill with a 50/50 mixture with distilled water and coolant. You do not need a flush.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Zerex Asian is made for Toyota and Honda. Better deal than coolant from the dealer.

I would just drain the radiator and refill with a 50/50 mixture with distilled water and coolant. You do not need a flush.

Zerex Asian is for the red LLC NOT the pink SLLC he has, different brew.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

Zerex claims AVF is for replacement of the Pink SLLC too, but I don't think it really is equivalent. And with AVF being a premix it's not really a better value than concentrate red LLC anyway. Best value going in Japanese-style OE coolant is probably Ford Speciality Green which is basically the SLLC. I don't think Toyotas are that picky with the coolant used, except it shouldn't be silicate. Peak Global, AVF, and even
shocked.gif
Dexcool seems to usually work fine. i always prefer OE though.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

Zerex claims AVF is for replacement of the Pink SLLC too, but I don't think it really is equivalent. And with AVF being a premix it's not really a better value than concentrate red LLC anyway. Best value going in Japanese-style OE coolant is probably Ford Speciality Green which is basically the SLLC. I don't think Toyotas are that picky with the coolant used, except it shouldn't be silicate. Peak Global, AVF, and even
shocked.gif
Dexcool
seems to usually work fine. i always prefer OE though.

The Asians are anti-2eha. No, this reply has nothing to do with my other recent posts.
grin2.gif

The Europeans (who are pro-2EHA btw) are anti-phosphate but with scale inhibitors and the fact you shouldn't be using hard tap water anyway it's irrational too.

You could say Toyota is anti-silicates and anti-borates, but I've used original Green succesfully in them, with no water pump failures. Others have sucessfully used Dexcool in them too. I'm not saying I recommend it, but you are either using OE coolant or you are not. Japanese extended life coolant is sort of a rip off-proprietary, premixed and pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back