Sump pump relief hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I never really paid much attention to it, but today I noticed there is a ton of water being dumped through this relief hole when the pump operates. I realize the hole is there to prevent air lock. Does this look normal to you?

I don't think its normal to push out that much water. I wonder if you don"t have a partial blockage in your drain pipe somewhere.

It looks similar to the way the one in my Mom's basement operates. I'm no plumber, but I think it looks worse than it is due to the pressure the pump is generating and the small size of the hole.

I know ours does have a jet come out, but I think perhaps the hole has a clog that makes the orifice atomize the water a bit, looking more severe. Did you artificially turn it on? Is the float in the right spot? Ours never comes on except when I test it, but as I recall, when it is on by the float, the spray is underwater. It is just when I manually turn it on that it sprays.

May be wrong though.

That's similar to what mine does. I guess if it's draining the water after the float switch engages and then turns off when it's empty or the float switch 'de-energizes' you're good.

Are you getting good discharge where it dumps out?

... I've been around houses w/ sump pumps my whole life, even helped dad replace a few....and I've never seen a "relief hole" in a discharge pipe. if i saw water spraying out the side of the pipe like that, I'd replace the pipe, and try to figure out what punctured my pipe...

not saying that hole isn't supposed to be there, just never come across one myself...

Originally Posted By: earlyre
... I've been around houses w/ sump pumps my whole life, even helped dad replace a few....and I've never seen a "relief hole" in a discharge pipe. if i saw water spraying out the side of the pipe like that, I'd replace the pipe, and try to figure out what punctured my pipe...

not saying that hole isn't supposed to be there, just never come across one myself...

Ha! The first time I saw it, I thought the same. Then I started reading online and it appears that having a relief hole is highly recommended by both pump manufacturers and installers.

Quote:

Why should I drill a small hole in the discharge piping between the pump and the check valve?

A relief hole (1/8” or 3/16” diameter) should be drilled in the discharge pipe. This hole should be located below the floor line between the pump discharge and the check valve. Unless such a relief hole is provided, a bottom intake pump could “air lock” and will not pump water even though it will run.

http://store.waterpumpsupply.com/sumppumpsfaq.html

Originally Posted By: earlyre

Some pumps (like the one my builder installed) have a relief mechanism in the pump itself, but the few pumps I've installed have a step in the instructions where they specifically say that a certain sized hole needs to be drilled into the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back