what type of atf to use in th400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, i am going to install a tru cool 4590 transmission cooler on my th400. i am also going to change the filter and fluid. anyway i would like to put in amsoil synthetic atf but at 11.50 a quart its mighty expensive. i was wondering what you guys think is a quality alternative i can buy at walmart or autozone and places like that. i like valvoline dex/merc but something like mobile 1 atf if its not to expensive is better. i would like to stay at or below $7 a quart. what is the difference between valvoline dex/merc and valvoline maxlife dex/merc. thank you.

Any of the house brand ATFs that are Dex/Merc compatible would work just fine.

I have had great service with ST and AAP and AZ; confirmed by UOA results.

We've run 600-700 horsepower Chevy and Olds engines in front of TH350 and 400's on Supertech Dexron for years without issue.

We had no difference in longevity/performance between high dollar syn ATF's vs the cheap Wallyworld ATF. My $.02.

from my research it looks like people have runjust about anything in these trannies. i will run either amsoil or redline and stick with that thank you.

I don't understand. I realize you're new here, so I'm going to have to admit that I find this a bit irritating. I apologize up front for my candid demeanor; I mean you no personal affront.

Why did you ask about cheaper alternatives to Amsoil, then decide to run it (or RL) anyway in your TH400?

I'll admit we know nothing about your operating conditions or OCI plan, but then you didn't seem to care to mention them. All you initially seemed to be interested in was cost. The TH400 is a robust tranny when built correctly; it really can run on any Dex/Merc product. We gave you some good alternatives, and then you run right back to Amsoil? What were you expecting? To be able to get a super-premium synthetic at $3.50/qrt?

If you wanted someone to just condone your apparent lust for syns, why not say so? There are plenty of folks here that can and will do that. So you want Amsoil or RL? Don't forget RP, too!

You have two threads going on about this same topic; locking this one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back